Topic: holloween?

I am going too a holloween party friday,we will be playing too a small group of people,we are all dressing up as something bass player will be a oral thermomater,I will be a rec--l and a doctor and a nurse. Anyone else diong something intresting?      dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: holloween?

have fun Dino and I dont have to dress up my normal clothes are wierd enough lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by GoodbyeBlueSky 2008-10-30 08:41:51)

I'm going to a halloween party as Robert Smith (from the Cure) smile
Well... a girl version of him anyway...

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

I always dress as a pirate.  It's only costume I have.  This year my daughters want me to be a prince.  So I guess I'll drop the bandana and add a three-corner hat and a cape.  I'm going to a party at the house of a musician, so there's the remote possibility of a jam. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'll be sitting on the front porch dressed down as a hobo, playing guitar with a case full of candy to hand out... My normal routine. The kids love it! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Nope!  Going to my church Harvest Festival.  Wifey will take charge of a booth with a game and hand out candy buy the truck load, and I will simply dress in something warm and sit on the hay bales and listen to the music, whatever it will be.

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

Guitarpix wrote:

I'll be sitting on the front porch dressed down as a hobo, playing guitar with a case full of candy to hand out... My normal routine. The kids love it! -Pix

That sounds fun Pix - post some pics!

This got me thinking - whats in your Halloween songbook? Zevon - Werewolves of London is obvious. What other songs do you Chordians have to celebrate All Hallows Eve?

Is Halloween primarily an American thing? Does the rest of the world celebrate the witches and werewolves this night?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Monster Mash & Purple People Eater are popular with the trick or treaters here on halloween. We'll see about some pics smile -Pix

Werewolves of London is a great song! One of my favorites to play anytime of the year!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

9 (edited by Old Doll 2008-10-31 08:19:24)

Jack O lantern.
Jack, the Irish say, grew up in a simple village where he earned a reputation for cleverness as well as laziness. He applied his fine intelligence to wiggling out of any work that was asked of him, preferring to lie under a solitary oak endlessly whittling. In order to earn money to spend at the local pub, he looked for an "easy shilling" from gambling, a pastime at which he excelled. In his whole life he never made a single enemy, never made a single friend and never performed a selfless act for anyone.

One Halloween, as it happened, the time came for him to die. When the devil arrived to take his soul, Jack was lazily drinking at the pub and asked permission to finish his ale. The devil agreed, and Jack thought fast. "If you really have any power," he said slyly, "you could transform yourself into a shilling."

The devil snorted at such child’s play and instantly changed himself into a shilling. Jack grabbed the coin. He held it tight in his hand, which bore a cross-shaped scar. The power of the cross kept the devil imprisoned there, for everyone knows the devil is powerless when faced with the cross. Jack would not let the devil free until he granted him another year of life. Jack figured that would be plenty of time to repent. The devil left Jack at the pub.

The year rolled around to the next Halloween, but Jack never got around to repenting. Again the devil appeared to claim his soul, and again Jack bargained, this time challenging him to a game of dice, an offer Satan could never resist, but a game that Jack excelled at. The devil threw snake eyes—two ones—and was about to haul him off, but Jack used a pair of dice he himself had whittled. When they landed as two threes, forming the T-shape of a cross, once again the devil was powerless. Jack bargained for more time to repent.

He kept thinking he’d get around to repentance later, at the last possible minute. But the agreed-upon day arrived and death took him by surprise. The devil hadn’t showed up and Jack soon found out why not. Before he knew it Jack was in front of the pearly gates. St. Peter shook his head sadly and could not admit him, because in his whole life Jack had never performed a single selfless act. Then Jack presented himself before the gates of hell, but the devil was still seething. Satan refused to have anything to do with him.

"Where can I go?" cried Jack. "How can I see in the darkness?"

The devil tossed a burning coal into a hollow pumpkin and ordered him to wander forever with only the pumpkin to light his path. From that day to this he has been called "Jack o’ the Lantern." Sometimes he appears on Halloween!  lol

This Topdown is the original reason we celebrate Halloween.:lol:

There’s a lot of history attached to Halloween. It goes back a long time. The pagan Celts attached a lot of importance to this Samhain time. Halloween was Oíche Shamhna and the month of November in Irish is called Mí na Samhna.  The growing darkness and the ‘death’ of nature made them feel that this eerie time was the time when the two worlds met – the ‘real’ world for them was the world of the spirits!

The word ‘Halloween’, as you know, came with the Christian church. Since the Christians approved of this Celtic reverence for the dead, November became their month for remembering those who have gone before us. The Christian November begins with the Feast of All Saints or All ‘Hallows’, (Hallow being the old word for Holy, as in ‘Hallowed be thy name).

All Hallows Eve, known in English as ‘All Hallows E’en’, was an important time for celebrating the harvest – of apples and nuts etc – and for the burning of the stubble on bone-fires. The celebration became big in America, while in Britain part of it was pushed towards November 5th to celebrate the suppression of Guy Fawkes’ gunpowder plot.

Happy halloween to all whatever your beliefs.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Doll, Somehow I knew there would be a history lesson in this from you. Very cool story about old Jack! Here in the US, it's primarily a day when kids dress in costumes and go door to door to get candy. How is it celebrated in other parts of the world?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I'll be going to a buddy's Halloween Party as Larry the Cable Guy! Git-R-Dun!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Wow some really cool ideas here,old doll thank you for the history I was never really up on it but you were able too shed some light on the subject. I hope everone plays it safe out there tommarow night.             dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Years ago, on halloween, I set my P.A. system up on my front porch, turned the reverb all the way up, and played the theme from "Jaws"on my tuba.
My son took over and did a "monster" voice amplified that scared the bejesus out of the kids. He was really good. Only about two in ten kids that came by had the guts to come up and get their candy.
He even yelled at the police as they drove by. A co-worker brought her son by once and the kid ran screaming back to their car and locked his mom out.
This became a tradition for years. My Jamie was the infamous "Prince of Darkness" and we drew more kids at our house than did the halloween carnival downtown. I always had extra good candy for the ones that braved the terror and made it to the porch.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

topdown wrote:

Thanks Doll, Somehow I knew there would be a history lesson in this from you. Very cool story about old Jack! Here in the US, it's primarily a day when kids dress in costumes and go door to door to get candy. How is it celebrated in other parts of the world?

Hi Topdown, Holloween here in Eastern Canada is the same as you, as the kids dress up an go door to door for treats. This year friday nite [ at least for us]  it's the kids turn. As for the adults, we have rented a small community hall and will have a costume jam for saturday nite.
It's B Y O B  and guitar and lots of fun. I'm going to get an eye patch and go as, you guessed it,  Badeye the pirate.

Take Care... Badeye , cool

one caper after another