Topic: We Have A New President!

Obama wins, Obama wins!!! I am so proud to live in a country were the non-racist outnumber the racist. I am not implying that those of you out there who supported McCain are racist but a new day is upon us in America and it feels beautiful. My tears of joy are flowing and I feel elation on an epic level. Senator McCain was classy and gracious during his concession speech. His legacy as a great American hero will continue to grow in the future and his dignity and class shined brightly tonight.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Re: We Have A New President!

Yippie! I had a feeling this country was ready for a change and this was the time for it, I liked sen.McCain he's a great American and I agree he was very gracious in his concession speech it was a disappointment I'm sure but I feel the country needed a change and Obama is the next president for that reason.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Belfast is grey in the wind and the rain this morning, but there's a glow in the west - must be those warm american hearts rejoicing!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Exhausted I am Sir.

What a roller coaster ride !. I had Northern visitors last evening.  We had the TV on most of the evening to watch the progress of your elections.  Emotions were high, as we As a small  nation also learned how to hold our breaths for so long also waiting for change and a better life..

In 1963, J F K, came to Ireland. He gave our poor wee country and its people great hope and optimism then for the future. His speechs gave us back our sense of pride, which has remained to this day. I was a very young child then, but i remember it vividly.
Just some months later Our Hero JFK was dead.

I do hope your great land has received a leader to keep your hope and optimism strong in the coming years.

I also couldnt help thinking of this song about "Medgar Evers" and many more Black and White , Men and Woman, who gave there lives for what they strongly believed in.

May the rose rise to meet you all, and the winds be at your backs.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvQzgxTxmE

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Congrats on your new president from your neigbour from the north.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Indeed, things are looking better in the US!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

well Americans thank you for proving me wrong.
I alsways thought Americans were too racist to vote for a non white guy. So thanks for proving me wrong.

SAying that, after watching the news this morning I think lots of black/coloured whatever you decide to call people that are not white voted for Obama because of his colour. A few darl coloured folk on the news were saying We have got in, as in the colour of skin got in. This is very wrong if that is what most people done it for.

The same happened in the UK in 1979 with Thatcher. Loads upon loads voted for her just for the fact she was a woman and we had never had a woman Prime minister before. And just look what she done to the UK, more so what she had done to SCotland and its industry.

But I kinda like Obama, maybe because of his youthful face? maybe because his colour? maybe because he seems like a nice family man? But it is not because I believe in what political things he says because I have heard nothing lol

but for all those that supported him and voted for him, well done, ye got yer man.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

"And I pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday,
and I get on my knees and pray...
we don't get fooled again.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
-- Pete Townsend

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Ok. We have a new president. How come nothing has changed for the better already? I'm waiting....

UYK,

Guess it's the same as when JFK was elected and Irish Americans felt that they could stand tall in their own country. Of course the scots-irish had been doing the presidential thing for a long time, but then they helped start the whole ruckus.

I'm sort of half glad that Obama didn't get 60 in the Senate - it will keep things on a more even keel.

I suppose I can say now - after being pro Obama - that it appears that Palin is a relative, though some way removed. Her mother was a Sheeran.

If I were president I would promise a new Martin guitar for everyone.  You're on your own for buying the strings, but I would give everyone a new Martin guitar.

UYK - At least those folks voted.  In addition to the historic results of this election, another historic event took place simultaneously.  That second event, closely related, is the voter TURNOUT.  It is shameful in most elections how few persons eligible to vote register, and how few who are registered actually bother.  President Clinton (just as an example, not meant to pick on him) was elected in what some considered enough percentage to give him a "mandate" (whatever that means).  But when you really looked it, his large results were really only something like 13% of the registered voters.  He won fair and square, and he won big, and looking back on it deservedly so (though at the time I thought differently).  This time, however, turnout was huge.  Over 80% of the registered voters in my district had voted by 10AM yesterday!  That's amazing.  Folks were coming to vote literally by the busload.  Very gratifying.

-----------------------------

As far as Senator Obama winning, he wasn't my choice, but he has a lot of assets and I wish him extreme success.  Our current administration wipes its backside with the Constitution.  Senator Obama is a Constitutional scholar who has shown respect for the law.  That alone will be refreshing.  If he can accomplish even 1/3 of what he has set himself to do, his Presidency will be wildly successful and the country will be better off for it.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

yes at least people voted. If there is one thing I disagree with is people complaining who got in when they never voted themselves

without this getting too political on here ( sorry for my earlier post)

Let sing a song.........

eh, yeah  aye  Mcain it was reported today has a very famous ancestor...... King Robert the Bruce of Scotland. He was told this by his great grandmother that came from a very wealth family from England.

An Obama also has  Scottish link. Something to do with early Scottish settlers inter mingling ( and more) with the native americans. Thats all it said so I am guessing his ancestors must have been native american somewhere along the lines.

can anyone put chords to that? lol lol

( just listened to our P.M brown there, pretending to know Obama very well and how he is a very good friend of britiain....see al this politics and politicians I really hate them all.
I'm away to listen to the Clash and some good anti political songs. then it will be woodie guthrie and then tom Paxton.)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Congratulations from one of your unseen friends in Germany.

Get a grip; we don't have a new President until January 20, 2009.  I'm not sure what all the celebration is about pertaining to a black man being elected.  His mother was white, father black and was raised by his white grandmother; sounds like an American to me.  No matter what you call him, after January 20, 2009 he'll be our President.

I for one am glad for the change ... too many years of the same old problems that continue to grow in our country ... this nation needed a change and we'll finally see what it brings ... this was the first election in a long time that I've FELT the words from a candidate ... there will be a bright future for everyone as the world over will feel the effects of this new president ...

History was made yesterday ... smile

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Zurf wrote:

UYK - At least those folks voted.  In addition to the historic results of this election, another historic event took place simultaneously.  That second event, closely related, is the voter TURNOUT.  It is shameful in most elections how few persons eligible to vote register, and how few who are registered actually bother.  President Clinton (just as an example, not meant to pick on him) was elected in what some considered enough percentage to give him a "mandate" (whatever that means).  But when you really looked it, his large results were really only something like 13% of the registered voters.  He won fair and square, and he won big, and looking back on it deservedly so (though at the time I thought differently).  This time, however, turnout was huge.  Over 80% of the registered voters in my district had voted by 10AM yesterday!  That's amazing.  Folks were coming to vote literally by the busload.  Very gratifying.

-----------------------------

As far as Senator Obama winning, he wasn't my choice, but he has a lot of assets and I wish him extreme success.  Our current administration wipes its backside with the Constitution.  Senator Obama is a Constitutional scholar who has shown respect for the law.  That alone will be refreshing.  If he can accomplish even 1/3 of what he has set himself to do, his Presidency will be wildly successful and the country will be better off for it.

- Zurf

Quoted for truth!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

upyerkilt wrote:

SAying that, after watching the news this morning I think lots of black/coloured whatever you decide to call people that are not white voted for Obama because of his colour. A few darl coloured folk on the news were saying We have got in, as in the colour of skin got in. This is very wrong if that is what most people done it for.

The same happened in the UK in 1979 with Thatcher. Loads upon loads voted for her just for the fact she was a woman and we had never had a woman Prime minister before. And just look what she done to the UK, more so what she had done to SCotland and its industry.

Ken, you're so right. Voting for someone because of the color of his skin is just so wrong. It's a shame that a good percentage of these 1st time voters cast their vote in complete ignorance. Obama was not my guy but he has touted change which is sorely needed. Now it's time to "walk the walk". As an American he has my complete support.
I just wanted to chime in and say how shameful it is for an African American voter to say "we got in"; would that be as acceptable had McCain won and a white person said the same? I think not. Increased voter turnout is a fantastic thing but not when the voters are completely uninformed. Their votes dilute democracy...
I get off my soap box now.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

There might be a lot less racism if we could do away with Afro-American.  He is an American in my book.  I rarely see people saying they are Italian American or Scottish American.  Oh, there are some, but most people are happy being American.  We should all be proud of what we are, but to point our every word to another country, well.  I also did not vote for Obama, but I will sure as hell support him.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi Guys

Just my two penn'orth,

Unfortunately these days there doesn't seem to be enough time for me to learn the ins and outs of politics so I have to rely on 'soundbite politics'.  Being Mr Average, I guess that means a fair few folk on both sides of the pond are in the same boat so a fair few people are going to vote for the one whose soundbite was chosen by the news networks, regardless of who might make a better president/prime minister.

Good luck to Barack Obama, I hope his youth and energy carry him through to make the changes that are needed.

Now, about Gordon Brown...

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

upyerkilt wrote:

well Americans thank you for proving me wrong.
I alsways thought Americans were too racist to vote for a non white guy. So thanks for proving me wrong.

But I kinda like Obama, maybe because of his youthful face? maybe because his colour? maybe because he seems like a nice family man? But it is not because I believe in what political things he says because I have heard nothing lol

but for all those that supported him and voted for him, well done, ye got yer man.

Ken

Nothing personal, but this does disturb me in a way.  And a conservative pundit on MSNBC, Joe Scarborough, made a point that I had to agee with.  "Everybody thinks we're racist, well now we have a "black" man as our president.  Where's the black prime minister of the UK, France, Germany, etc.??"

Please don't tar all of us with the same brush, just because of a few loudmouthed jerks.   I have heard stories of Americans travelling to Europe and being looked down on because of the racist tag.  Yes, I will concede that a lot of American tourists do act like a**h***s when they travel overseas.  I can remember being treated like I was an idiot in Quebec, Canada because my french speaking skills are poor. 

Someday, I hope we will have a woman president as well.  Unfortunately, Hilary Clinton was not and will not be that woman.  Fortunately Sarah Palin will never get within sniffing distance of the job.  Why do I say that, because they both are just too polarizing for a job that needs someone with better communication and personality skills then I have seen from them. 

Right now we need somebody that is willing to listen and TALK to other world leaders.  These last 8 years of "cowboy diplomacy" and arrogance from Bush and his cronies.  Made Barack Obama much easier for me to vote for him. 

I'll get off my soapbox now, somebody else needs the wood!

I'm going to claim ignorance on this question; does Ireland, Scotland, Canada have Presidents?  I never really thought of it.  If so, what are their term lengths?  Are the political parties right or left wing?

Just curious smile

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I'm not getting into that one LesPaulGuy, a couple of them have the same Queen and the other has a woman president - from Ardoyne in Belfast by the way ! Neither of them are black.

UYK,

Barack Obama is IRISH - did you not know ( cue embarrassing YouTube video )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek .

We are DOOMED!

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

LesPaulGuy wrote:

I'm going to claim ignorance on this question; does Ireland, Scotland, Canada have Presidents?  I never really thought of it.  If so, what are their term lengths?  Are the political parties right or left wing?

Just curious smile

In Canada - a Prime Minister.

Badeye cool

one caper after another