Re: We Have A New President!

lol a good one I enjoyed the pub singing looks like they all had a good time smile

alansheeran wrote:

I'm not getting into that one LesPaulGuy, a couple of them have the same Queen and the other has a woman president - from Ardoyne in Belfast by the way ! Neither of them are black.

UYK,

Barack Obama is IRISH - did you not know ( cue embarrassing YouTube video )

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek .

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well, I gotta say I don't think the right person was elected. I'm not saying this because of race or politics, either. There's just something about the man I don't trust. There is just way too many unanswered questions out there that was never disclosed. I felt that throughout the campains the press was skewed more towards Obama. If MsCain had been elected I would still feel as though the wrong person was elected. I've said from the beginning that our choices for president were very poor. Who was the lesser of the 2 evils? Who know's but I'm afraid we are in for some trying times. Hope I'm wrong about but we'll see and understand more in the upcoming months.

Nela

28 (edited by ozymandias 2008-11-06 02:16:25)

You and me both NELA, you and me both!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I'm with you to Nela, in my opinion we needed someone to take on  some of our problems, not a preacher.Although i think some prayer may help.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Ahh gotcha!  So the PM is equivalent to the President ... thanks badeye

Alan ... does Northern Ireland have it's own?  I'm assuming if they do, then the Republic of Ireland has their own or do they fall under the United Kingdom realm and claim Queen Elizabeth as their Queen?  Does this apply to Wales as well?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

NELA wrote:

Well, I gotta say I don't think the right person was elected. I'm not saying this because of race or politics, either. There's just something about the man I don't trust. There is just way too many unanswered questions out there that was never disclosed. I felt that throughout the campains the press was skewed more towards Obama. If MsCain had been elected I would still feel as though the wrong person was elected. I've said from the beginning that our choices for president were very poor. Who was the lesser of the 2 evils? Who know's but I'm afraid we are in for some trying times. Hope I'm wrong about but we'll see and understand more in the upcoming months.

Nela

That's funny.  I felt exactly the opposite this time.  Not on the trust issue, as I don't trust anyone who actually wants the job.  But I felt as if either of them could do the job this time around.  The last two elections were picking the best loser.  This time we got to choose between a very, very bright guy who actually knows what its like not to have enough money for rent.  He knows how it feels to go hungry and what it means to work your own *** off to do something about it.  The other guy was a well-off partying pretty-boy who took his hits, humbled himself and has demonstrated himself to be a true public servant in the best meaning of that word.   I felt pretty good about our choices this time.  I voted for Senator McCain, but I am not at all disappointed that we elected Senator Obama.  I just wish that McCain had won in 2000 and that it was Junior running against Obama in 2008.  But you can't change past history, you can only change future history. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

JimBusch wrote:

If I were president I would promise a new Martin guitar for everyone.  You're on your own for buying the strings, but I would give everyone a new Martin guitar.

I'm with you on that.

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

Zurf wrote:
NELA wrote:

Nela

That's funny.  I felt exactly the opposite this time.  Not on the trust issue, as I don't trust anyone who actually wants the job.  But I felt as if either of them could do the job this time around.  The last two elections were picking the best loser.  This time we got to choose between a very, very bright guy who actually knows what its like not to have enough money for rent.  He knows how it feels to go hungry and what it means to work your own *** off to do something about it.  The other guy was a well-off partying pretty-boy who took his hits, humbled himself and has demonstrated himself to be a true public servant in the best meaning of that word.   I felt pretty good about our choices this time.  I voted for Senator McCain, but I am not at all disappointed that we elected Senator Obama.  I just wish that McCain had won in 2000 and that it was Junior running against Obama in 2008.  But you can't change past history, you can only change future history. 

- Zurf

Agreed on McCain.  IF he had been the McCain of 2000, he would have done better.  The McCain of 2008, seemed like he was so desperate for the presidency that he was willing to DO anything to get it.  I never felt that he was the honest straight talker this time around.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Ozymandias - Sadly, the McCain of 2000 didn't do so well with his Presidential campaign.  Perhaps that's why he did things differently this time.  I voted for him in 2000 and wish he had beaten Bush in the primaries. 

He's done a lot of good for the country in the Congress these past eight years, though.  Most people have no idea how much money he's saved the taxpayers, but it's probably in the tens of billions.  He's been an amazingly vocal and effective advocate in favor or restraint on Federal programs.  I am definitely in the "less government is better government" category. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

LesPaulGuy,

There's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. As it's a Kingdom, it's ruled by a Monarch - Queen Elizabeth II. As a result of her ancestors having their heads cut off or getting chased out of the country, the Queen has limited powers. The country doen't have a constitution, and any parliament can set whatever laws it wants.

It has a Parliament ( Congress) and the effective Head of Government is the Prime Minister who leads whichever Party in Parliament is the bigger. Just like the states, there are two Houses of Parliament - the House of Lords ( like the Senate, but not elected, they are now mostly old politicians) and the House of Commons (like the House of Representatives, elected, and the main seat of power).

The Republic of Ireland is a Republic on the same lines as the States, with a President. Interestingly, although the President in the Republic has similar powers to the US President, there is a custom that they let the Dail (Irish parliament) make the running.

Here in Northern Ireland, there is a continuing dispute over whether we should be ruled from London or Dublin. I'm not going to go into that as it's too painful and convoluted. We've just been through thirty years of murder and mayhem fighting over it. I'm just glad to have peace, for the sake of the kids.

That's probably too much information !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Zurf wrote:

Ozymandias - Sadly, the McCain of 2000 didn't do so well with his Presidential campaign.  Perhaps that's why he did things differently this time.  I voted for him in 2000 and wish he had beaten Bush in the primaries. 

He's done a lot of good for the country in the Congress these past eight years, though.  Most people have no idea how much money he's saved the taxpayers, but it's probably in the tens of billions.  He's been an amazingly vocal and effective advocate in favor or restraint on Federal programs.  I am definitely in the "less government is better government" category. 

- Zurf

As a Senator, you'll get no arguments from me.  In fact I saw in his concession speech plenty of hope that he would return to what made him a respected member of the senate.   It's wishful thinking, but I wish he had beaten Bush back in 2000.  I sincerely believe we wouldn't have had the problems that we have today.  Moderation is what the majority of people in this country want.  Hell, look at MAine, a bastion of the Democratic party, yet we elect 2 moderate republican women to the Senate, year after year.  One can be conservative without being polarizing.  I, myself am a social liberal and fiscal conservative who also agrees with the less is more scenario. 

Now if we could only get the media outlets to shut up.   Thank the GODS of music and literature that there are MUTE buttons.  <grin>

alansheeran wrote:

LesPaulGuy,

There's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales. As it's a Kingdom, it's ruled by a Monarch - Queen Elizabeth II. As a result of her ancestors having their heads cut off or getting chased out of the country, the Queen has limited powers. The country doen't have a constitution, and any parliament can set whatever laws it wants.

It has a Parliament ( Congress) and the effective Head of Government is the Prime Minister who leads whichever Party in Parliament is the bigger. Just like the states, there are two Houses of Parliament - the House of Lords ( like the Senate, but not elected, they are now mostly old politicians) and the House of Commons (like the House of Representatives, elected, and the main seat of power).

The Republic of Ireland is a Republic on the same lines as the States, with a President. Interestingly, although the President in the Republic has similar powers to the US President, there is a custom that they let the Dail (Irish parliament) make the running.

Here in Northern Ireland, there is a continuing dispute over whether we should be ruled from London or Dublin. I'm not going to go into that as it's too painful and convoluted. We've just been through thirty years of murder and mayhem fighting over it. I'm just glad to have peace, for the sake of the kids.

Just yesterday I was talking to the owner of a local hardware store, conservative in his viewpoints.  And we both agreed that we should have a parliamentary style type of government here in the US.  It would have been fun to see how fast or when a vote of "no confidence"  would have happened.

One thing I never understood about the US is that you never developed a Health Service like that in the UK.

Over here most hospital treatment and treatment that you would go and see your doctor about is free. You don't need it when you're young, but we're happy enough to pay the taxes so that your parents can receive the treatment for the troubles that arrive when you reach old age. In times like these, it also means that you or your kids don't lose out when you lose your job.

Am I missing something ?

alansheeran wrote:

LesPaulGuy,

Wow ... thanks alan ... I'm a big history buff so I like things like this ... I knew about the United Kingdom but never really knew too much about Northern Ireland (other than what the media potrays and U2 songs tongue) ... although I do LOVE U2/The Corrs/The Cranberries

Thanks for the History 101 lesson mate!  Have a pint of Guiness on me smile  On a side note, the only time I've ever been to Ireland was on a layover at Shannon and it killed me to not be able to holiday for a few days!

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Ozy,

I'm not sure if you Americans could hack the parliamentary system. You seem to like the "balance of power" thing, negotiating and making deals. In the UK Parliament it's winner takes all. They cut the tripe out of each other every day. In the UK a politician is expected to take it on the chin and get back up fighting - red in tooth and claw. It can be great to watch on TV.

41 (edited by Old Doll 2008-11-06 21:51:56)

Lordy lord,

I doubt your new President  would be pleased to hear his ancestor would have been known as a  Biffo" That's the slang name here for people from Offaly, and a very derogatory one.  Our new leader { Ahem } is also a "Biffo" Enough said.

http://kathyfoley.net/2007/05/20/sunday … the-biffo. 

Old Doll.

Alansheeran, i couldnt agree more. Peace, Peace, Perfect peace.  The freedom of not being  scared  with my family and friends in Northern Ireland is absolutely wonderful.     My friends who have lived there all there lives are so much more relaxed also.
Praise be!.

PPs.  My Daddy was Liverpudlian.  Does this make me  English Irish ? Or Liverpudlian Irish. ?  lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Well just thank your lucky stars you havent our health System at the moment..

Its gone so bad there just short of putting 2 to a bed! lol.

i recenly had to have a test done. Ive worked and paid taxes all my life. The appointment i was given was for 4th April 09, i kid you not.
So i produced my VHI . They VHI paid 600 euro, i was seen in  a private clinic the next day!  Another massive ripoff... I wonder where all the  taxes ive paid over the years went to ?  Whatever you do dont get sick in Southern ireland.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

To Alan Sheeran'
Alan, do you know anything about the group "Iona" that has as some of its members Joanne Hogg & Dave Bainbridge? They are a Christian Progressive pop/rock/new agey band.
Jim

alansheeran wrote:

Ozy,

I'm not sure if you Americans could hack the parliamentary system. You seem to like the "balance of power" thing, negotiating and making deals. In the UK Parliament it's winner takes all. They cut the tripe out of each other every day. In the UK a politician is expected to take it on the chin and get back up fighting - red in tooth and claw. It can be great to watch on TV.

Actualy I have, and I must say, I find the proceedings intensly interesting and fun, especially in having the PM having to justify himself on a regular basis.   I would dearly have loved to see Georgie Bush having to do the same on a weekly basis.  It would have even been worth it  even on Pay per view.   At this point I think we could hack it, it would certainly make for revealing and entertaining TV.   It might even excite the electorate enough to get off their A***s and vote even in off year elections.   As it is our politicians can hide and duck and cover behind the spin doctors that they hire to do their dirty work.  grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But, who am I kidding, that will happen when pigs fly and I can play Flamenco Guitar!  LOL

45 (edited by NELA 2008-11-06 22:50:33)

I think we all know McCain has done some good things for the country during his term in the Senate and if elected would have been as good a president as the Congress would have allowed hin to be. Obama's term in the Senate is relativly short and as such he does not have a long history of accomplishments. He is a very smart person and appears to have some huge talent. He is a good speaker and I do hope he is not just saying what we want to hear and not back up what he say's. I do believe there is some information concerning his past that was not made available to the public that should have been disclosed. When I saw Obama refuse to stand at attention during the National Anthem at one of his "Rallies" I was turned off by him. If he is to hold the Highest Office we have he need to respect that office and it's history. Also, I am already of tired of hearing he's the 1st Afro-American President. He is either American or he's not. He is half white and half black and from what I understand he's got a little Irish mixed in somewhere, as well. This comment is not meant to be racist but it is the facts. I guess this would make him a Black Irish Caucasion American. The only thing that really matters is that "HE DOES THE JOB HE WAS ELECTED TO DO"!

Nela

Old Doll wrote:

Well just thank your lucky stars you havent our health System at the moment..

Its gone so bad there just short of putting 2 to a bed! lol.

i recenly had to have a test done. Ive worked and paid taxes all my life. The appointment i was given was for 4th April 09, i kid you not.
So i produced my VHI . They VHI paid 600 euro, i was seen in  a private clinic the next day!  Another massive ripoff... I wonder where all the  taxes ive paid over the years went to ?  Whatever you do dont get sick in Southern ireland.

Old Doll.

This is another thing I find interesting.  Health care in the US versus Health care in the UK and Canada. 

IMHO, while our system is deeply flawed and far from perfect.  (yes thats a deliberate contradiction), from what I have read and seen on other forums from UK and Canadian people.  At least our "flawed" system has room to improve.  Canadians flock to US clinics and other facilities to get the timely health care that they can't get in Canada.   Socialized medicine doesn't work, YET, our system doesn't work, YET.  BUT, we have room to develop and grow a system that may work combining, both private and public resources.   It's flexible in the US, something I haven't read about in the UK or seen in Canada.

This is another interesting issue, that bears more discussion and debate.

NELA wrote:

really matters is that"HE DO THE JOB HE WAS ELECTED TO DO"!

nELA

And that is what sums up the truth in no uncertain terms.  Well said,  NELA!

I dont know,im just winging it but maybe the association with the toilet plunger and joe the plumber had something to do with it...just a thought smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm personally STOKED that Obama won! I really liked what I saw and heard from him. He's obviously very intelligent and has worked extremely hard to get to the top. Also, he has a calm and deliberate nature about him, which I believe is something this country needs amidst all of the crisis right now. His idea to create "green-collar" jobs to help stem climate change and help boost the economy is something I personally can get behind. Is his election historic? Absolutely! Will he be the greatest President since FDR? Let's all hope so.

When this election season started (after primaries), I was very encouraged because I thought that both candidates were very good choices. I have always respected McCain and I thought that he handled himself admirably during the primary season. But he changed once he started campaigning against Obama. During the primaries, he was a calm and sincere man who looked like he was running for all the right reasons. After that, he turned into a grumpy old man who wanted to win just so Obama wouldn't. His choice of Palin really turned me off, not because of her gender (I backed Clinton during primaries), but because of her extreme right-wing views. However, I still have a lot of respect for McCain and I feel he would have done a fine job as President and I saw him revert back to the more respectable John McCain during his concession speech. Kudos to McCain and let's all hope that both him and Obama live up to their promises to work together to fix the many issues that we face today.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

crowellb wrote:

I'm personally STOKED that Obama won! I really liked what I saw and heard from him. He's obviously very intelligent and has worked extremely hard to get to the top. Also, he has a calm and deliberate nature about him, which I believe is something this country needs amidst all of the crisis right now. His idea to create "green-collar" jobs to help stem climate change and help boost the economy is something I personally can get behind. Is his election historic? Absolutely! Will he be the greatest President since FDR? Let's all hope so.

When this election season started (after primaries), I was very encouraged because I thought that both candidates were very good choices. I have always respected McCain and I thought that he handled himself admirably during the primary season. But he changed once he started campaigning against Obama. During the primaries, he was a calm and sincere man who looked like he was running for all the right reasons. After that, he turned into a grumpy old man who wanted to win just so Obama wouldn't. His choice of Palin really turned me off, not because of her gender (I backed Clinton during primaries), but because of her extreme right-wing views. However, I still have a lot of respect for McCain and I feel he would have done a fine job as President and I saw him revert back to the more respectable John McCain during his concession speech. Kudos to McCain and let's all hope that both him and Obama live up to their promises to work together to fix the many issues that we face today.

Damn, quoted for truth again!