Topic: Vintage T V shows

Mornin Chordie, any of you remember watching your first TV program ??  Mine was back in
1964 and was Hockey Night In Canada, there was only one channel we could get [CBC} with
those old style rabbit ears. Those were the days.......

Badeye... cool

one caper after another

Re: Vintage T V shows

Don't remember the very first, but the first colour programme I ever saw was a revelation. It was Disney time in the sixties. We were at an Uncle's house and they were trying to get us out from under their feet. On went the brand new TV, and I still remember the burst of colour from Tinkerbell's wand !

Talk about pester power even then, I think we had a rental colour TV within the week.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Seseame Street!!! Bert and Ernie, The Count, Oscar the Grouch, Mr. Snuffleuffagus, Big Bird, Animal, etc... I think the show is still going strong.

Give everything but up.

Wrestling. On the neighbors TV, we didn't even have electricity in 1951.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Grocho Marx "you bet your life"its still out there in reruns,we used to have one of those plastic color gels over our round screen tv my favorites were all mighty mouse cartoons,ozzie and harriet,dragnet,tonignt with jack paar and then came rock and roll and my first guitar a stella I didn't watch to much tv after, that aah those were the days lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hey , my favorite show when I was a kid was " Sea Hunt ".
Good old Mike Nelson ( Loyd Bridges ) always got the bad guy . L O L .... That show is the main reason I'm a scuba diver today .......... A while back , I finally found the entire series on DVD and bought it .. Love watching those episodes , even though they seem a little hammy now , they're still good to watch once in a while ......
             Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

the rifileman chuck conners yea peace loving lucas McCain came into town with his son to get some provisions for the ranch and just couldn't help blowing away somebody everytime he came to town with that fancy winchester "mica bury another one" lucas is comming to get some flower and salt and he's ah packin that der fancy shooting iron" lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Bonanza!!  Hoss , little joe all them cartwrights smile
wonder what the Ponderosa is worth today...

Great Thread Badeye smile

Gunsmoke with Marshall Dillon.I can still hear Walter Brennan cackling.Marshall Dillon...Marshall Dillon.
Being a Canadian I can remember the old Tommy Hunter shows(country/western music) and Hockey Night in Canada.Hockey played before the goalies wore face masks.
The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals were always on as movies I think.
Sea Hunt and Flipper.
Good to see another scuba diver here GSE

Lame shows by todays standards but they were great for their time

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Some favs were "My Favorite Martian" , "Leave it to Beaver", "Gentile Ben", and of course The
"Ed Sullivan" show. The first colour program was the cartoon "The Flintstones"  These days I'd sooner play my guitar than watch tele. Must be gettin old, these days it's the news and Jepordy.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Geez how old am I.

Jackie Gleason in the HoneyMooners. Loved him then and still do. They just dont make them like him anymore.

He just busts my gut with laughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKBcIsceleg.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

A few of my old favs:

MASH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akfIaeFDfX4

All In The Family:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znrjbo9QRLk

Happy Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptP6snCIndk

I remember when Happy Days when THE SHOW - must have been 3rd or 4th grade. I've seen it now as an adult on cable and don't know how my Dad put up with us watching that ridiculous show. big_smile   But, in those days there were only 3 or 4 channels so the selection wasn't all that.

I tell my kids now when the president speaks, as a kid that was the only choice - it was on all 3 channels...it was torture, and we had to get up and manually change the channel! Oh the horrors! And I had to walk to school uphill both ways .....

I'm tellin' ya - kids today got it made wink

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

"we had to get up and manually change the channel!"

Don't talk to me ! I brought all the gear back from the caravan last week, but forgot the doofer (means the channel changer in this deranged household). Herself went straight into a huff, because she would have to get out of bed to change the channel when I'm away. So I'll have to waste guitar time heading back up there to retrieve it !

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

what a question..... 1st tv program?
I have no idea

I think it might be a scottish program on a sunday afternoon called " Glen Michael's cavalcade". he used to sit at a table and talk to an old oil lamp, and it replied to him. It showed cartoons mostly.

Or could have been playschool?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The first TV in our house arrived on my 5th birthday in 1952 and I am sure that there was only one channel to watch.

I remember that back then my favourite programme was Muffin the Mule (he was a puppet) I cannot for the life of me remember what it was about though but I can still sing the song from it. I seem to recall that most children's programmes were on 'Watch with Mother' but that is all a very long tome ago.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Since I lived in the LA Area at the time, and just outside of it now, I watched Beany @ Cecil, a cartoon show, Then Sheriff John, a mid afternoon show with John Rovik as the host showing cartoons.  Tom Hatten Show was my Popeye fix of the 50's, with Tom drawing left handed (how could he do that!!) on a tablet mounted on an easel.  Tom is now 82 years old and doing some commercial on tv.  Then there was Ponderosa, Gunsmoke, Wrestling every Wednesday night from 8 to 10 PM with the indescribable Dick Lane as the tv announcer with his "Whoaaaa, Nellie!!" everytime some wrestler made a fabulous move.  I thought we were so lucky to get a TV around 1952 or so. Even luckier when the TV broke down and my dad could take it apart and fix it himself!

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

I forgot to add that in 1955 we moved from the LA area to San Bernardino, so the TV reception was not too good being that far away.  We had to jam a TV antennea 40 feet abouve the house to receive anything because of the mountains.  I never really got cable until about 1974, when I finally got married and moved out.  Then a whole new world of tv came to me, including all these new wrestling shows from all over the country!!

CW Boomer said it!
Working to become a Brain Surgeon or a Rocket Scientist, I forget which...

wow lots of memories,I think russell badeye,old doll and roger have put all the ones I can rember.I will add captain kangaroo, Rin Tin Tin,Sky King,superman,amos and andy,lawrence welk and the edd sullivan show, last but not least I love lucy.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Since we have gone from The first show we saw to shows we remember, I would like to mention The Red Skeleton Show and the I Love Lucy.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I think one of the 1st TV shows i ever saw on TV, was a kids program called BagPuss. About a little girl called Emily, who owned a toy repair shop.  Broken toys would be brought into the shop, and the inhabitants of the shop would fix them.  There was BagPuss, a saggy, baggy pink & white stuffed cat, Gabriel, a singing toad, Pofessor Yaffel, a wooden bookend bird, the mice who lived in the organ, and a rag doll, who's name i cannot remember.   I loved watching BagPuss, so much so, that year later, my youngest daughter, was named 'Emily..  smile

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

....and when bagpuss went to sleep............

lol

I loved that too

Also skippy the bush kangaroo, flipper, and conarnation street from age 4.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Here are some classics that just popped into my mind;

Land Of The Lost- Oh those cool Slee-stacks and the magic crystals!!! So very cool.

Sigmund The Sea Monster- The fun, friendly blob of seaweed that  jiggled when he walked and had an infectious laugh.

The Munsters- Herman, Lilly, GrandPa, Eddie, Marylin, and the fire breathing dragon that dwelled under the stairs, Spot!!!! Their car was the coolest ride I've ever seen!

Ahhhh, for about 5 minutes I felt like a little kid. Now I gotta go and pay bills!! Uuuurggghhh..........

Give everything but up.

Hi Everyone,

I don't remember my first show, but I do remember the first time I saw a color TV, the weatherman was giving the weather report, and I remember seeing a yellow map of the USA, that image burned into my brain. Some of the first shows I remember are the "Ed Sullivan Show", "The Honeymooners, "I Love Lucy" "and my all time favorite, thought it came on later is "The Andy Griffith show", still my favorite today! I also remember the Danny Thomas show, wow! I'm getting old guys!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I don't remember my first show, but I do remember the first time I saw a color TV, the weatherman was giving the weather report, and I remember seeing a yellow map of the USA, that image burned into my brain. Some of the first shows I remember are the "Ed Sullivan Show", "The Honeymooners, "I Love Lucy" "and my all time favorite, thought it came on later is "The Andy Griffith show", still my favorite today! I also remember the Danny Thomas show, wow! I'm getting old guys!

Cam

yep you are getting old,,,the earliest shows i remember is mighty mouse and underdog and of course bullwinkle and rocky