Topic: Combining Two Amps?

Has anyone tried this?  I've been on the Line6 site and saw they have certain mixers that combine two amps together and the sounds are pretty sweet.

Can you do this with your amps at home?  If so, how is it done?  I have a Line6 Spider III 75 watt amp and a Marshall MG30DFX and was wondering if I could buy something that would let me combine them.

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Combining Two Amps?

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Has anyone tried this?  I've been on the Line6 site and saw they have certain mixers that combine two amps together and the sounds are pretty sweet.

Can you do this with your amps at home?  If so, how is it done?  I have a Line6 Spider III 75 watt amp and a Marshall MG30DFX and was wondering if I could buy something that would let me combine them.

Yes! Dual amps are very cool. There are several ways to go about this;
1) Use a pedal with 2 outputs, one each to each amp.
2) Line out from one amp into other amp
3) From a mixer to amps( guitar input to mixer, left and right channels out of   mixer into amps.

I use an unpowered Mackie mixer to send my guitar to a Marshall 50watt soloist, From the Marshall I run a line out into a Behringer 45watt acoustisonic amp. The Marshall is behind me stage left, the Behringer is bhind me stage right. I angle the amps slightly inward and make sure that they're at least 6 feet away from your vocal mic.(feedback!!***)

Give everything but up.

3 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-11-06 18:21:03)

Thanks SP ... how does it sound?  Are you able to mix certain effects, etc.?  Do both amps mix together and and the sounds come out of both amps?  What kind of pedal do you use?  Any special cables?

Sorry for so many questions! lol

Line6 SpiderIII 75

The only effects on the amps I use are digital EQ and reverb.

The sound is equal(hopefully) from each amp.

The pedals I use on the stage floor, pre Mackie mixer, are double EQ( one on continous, one used in geese formation for solo's) compressor/sustain and phase, all Bose pedals. I especially like the phase pedal because it combines the spacy flange sound, a bit of tremelo, and chorus too. Keep in mind this is my acoustic set-up, my electric is a whole new monster.

As far as cables I use all monster cables( great quality and lifetime replacement policy). They're pricier than the usual cable but if you play out a ton, they're well worth the initial expense.

Hope I've suffiently answered your questions.

Give everything but up.

Sweet ... thnx that helped A LOT!

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I read in one of the guitar mags that either white zombie or smashing pumpkins used to split signal to a regular amp and a bass amp. I've never tried it but always thought that might be cool to try. Maybe use eq after the signal is split to beef up the sound. Also I read somewhere about using a stereo chorus and spliting the signal so that the two amps go in and out of phase.

7 (edited by cytania 2008-11-10 11:42:53)

Reasons for doing this

1) One amp is your floor monitor, angled up so you can hear yourself properly. You don't have a mike for vocals.

2) You have a dual output guitar like a Les Paul Ultra II or a Rickenbacker.

Reasons for not doing this

1) More time spent setting up. More stage room take up.

2) More chances for feedback, booming etc

3) More gear in the car.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'