Topic: how long?

how long will it be before i can get some real good callouses on my fingertips? i play between one and two hours a day.

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

Re: how long?

Assuming you are using steel and not nylon strings, if you are playing between 1 and 2 hours every day and your fingers are not bleeding and you are not screaming with pain, I would think you must have some fairly good ones already.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It wont take very long if you play for 1-2 hours a day ... calluses will come and go even if you have been playing for years ... I play pretty much every day for a few hours and if I spend 3-4 hours playing nothing but acoustic sets, the next few days new calluses will start forming

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Speaking of calluses, can you get a calluses on top of another calluses? I have well developed calluses on my fingers but after awhile I develope a spot on the tip of my index finger that is very hard. This area gets sore from continued playing and, over time, becomes "loose" to the point where I can pull it off. There is a calluses underneath that is well developed but it leaves a depression on the tip of my finger. I can continue playin g without any problems but over time it comes back. Any idea's?

nela

oddly the callouses you develop will vanish after years of playing,when I first started getting serious about guitar I spent 10 hrs a day practicing every day for over 2 years and the callouses were quite evident my fingertips had no feeling only a hard layer of skin that was insensitive but as the years went by the feeling returned and the callouses I labored so hard to build up faded and when the feeling returned I was surprised to find that even tho the crusty layer had disappeared I was and still am able to play without any discomfort,i dont recommend this regimen for learning how to play the guitar there are other methods that are effective but this was something I chose to do and I must admit it was to extreme smile 

lunaticcowgirl wrote:

how long will it be before i can get some real good callouses on smy fingertips? i play between one and two hours a day.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

thanks russel i cleaned my oven last night and the oven cleaner ate the callouses i did have right off of my fingers. after the fact i learned that i was supposed to use gloves with the oven cleaner! Lol!

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

lol tough way to learn but they will come back so next time you will know at least so keep on pickin smile

lunaticcowgirl wrote:

thanks russel i cleaned my oven last night and the oven cleaner ate the callouses i did have right off of my fingers. after the fact i learned that i was supposed to use gloves with the oven cleaner! Lol!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

One week away on Holidays,
or 3 solid days of floristry like ive just had. Hands always moist from cutting and clipping Flowers
just dont help.

Im then back to square one.  but i dont ever feel the soreness i used to when i first started.
I often get that peeling thing Nela gets. But mine are wee lady ones lol The Nela fella's only bragging again!
I only get it on some fingers. Strange that!

Old Doll.

Ps Lifes to short  for you to be  cleaning ovens. Have you no mother in law  or best friends ? lol
Play guitar instead, much more relaxing Girl.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !