Topic: i sound the same on most songs

i have been playing for 1 year and having been using a basic strum for most songs,  ddu u d u,   however now i am finding that i sound the same most of the time and i'm thinking that i am probably boring people cause i'm sure they are thinking the same thing.  i love to play and do it for my own enjoyment but, i just don't know how to break myself of this.  lately when i am learning a new song i try to convert myself to strumming how i hear it in the original song and then before long i fall back into that same old strumming pattern.  Is this normal for a newbie like me and how can i or should i break myself of this.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

Re: i sound the same on most songs

Here's something that might amuse you.
20 or so years ago I was roughly a "1 year" player like you are now. I've always been a big fan of Gordon Lightfoot and so one of the ways I learned to play was by focusing on the stuff that I knew how it should sound - i.e. a lot of Gordon Lightfoot. I bought the anthology and learned many songs from it. One day I was playing for some family and friends and my sister gently said to me - gee, you play that stuff really well... but do you know any other stuff, because the Lightfoot is getting boring.
Well, with that I set out to expand my horizons and now 20 years later I find a couple of things. One is that I have developed a particular kind of style that finds its way into whatever I play, but it is definitely not a repeated strum pattern... rather, its just a kind of style, if that makes any sense. Oh - the other thing is that I no longer remember most of those Lightfoot tunes, lol.
My point is that I had to challenge myself to play things that were much different than what I had gotten comfortable with. When I was doing that, every song I learned seemed to feel like I was learning the guitar all over again. That was a little frustrating because I felt like after making such progress, suddenly I was back at square one again. But in time square one was actually square two, and so on. So to break the little "rut" you find yourself in, you need to take on songs that just will not fit into that rut. If that turns into starting a new rut, well at least now you have two. And keep expanding from there. I think its a life long road and you wont have all the answers in 1, 10, or 100 years of playing, but the more you try new things, the more the lessons learned from that will give you a variety of tools to pick from when you play.
I'm not sure this ramble makes a lot of sense, but I hope you kind of get what I'm trying to say at least.
Just keep moving forward and don't worry about where you're going with it, but focus on the enjoyment you experience along the way.
All the best to you!

hmmm,  it's nice to hear "a seasoned player" has experienced the same.  and yes i will keep challenging myself, you are right there, i think that is the key.  but sometimes it does get frustrating. i feel at times i am going backwards.  i have started playing late in life (45) and there is nothing easy about it.  but i do love it and that is what keeps me going.  thanks for your response

A few things for you to try;

1) Get yourself a capo. Place it on different frets and discover a whole new tonal outburst from your instrument.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capo

2) Experiment with alternate tunings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_tuning

3) Learn 6,5,& 4 string barre chords
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barre_chords

4) Alternate finger picking with playing with a pick

5) Go to different places when you jam( the mountains, the beach,river,creek{some sort of aquatic environment} You'll be surprised what nature will do to your state of mind.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

sorry soutpaw, but that didn't really help me,  lol lol,   i have been using a capo all along according to the songs that i print off of chordie.  and as for alternate tuning and barre chords,  please that is way out of my expertise at this time.   i do not have a musical ear at all and have only been learning by books and friends telling me how to play chords.  i learn by looking at chord charts not by ear.  which i could learn by ear then i am sure the alternate tuning would help.  my problem was that i was stuck with the same strumming for almost everything that i play.

Study the links and eventually they will help you, I promise! ...and use your fingers on your strumming/finger-picking hand and never say I CAN'T.

Give everything but up.

when i first started out i had the same strum also...and what helped me change up is pickin with other people and watching them....i used to get together with 4 or 5 pickers at a time and each had their own style.....good luck ...itll come to you...

okay,  i will take everyones advise (which is what i was looking for) and try to apply,  and again thank you,  i don't know what i would do without this kind of site where i can ask questions "safely"  (without anyone looking at me like i have five heads or something) lol

trying to break out of the rut of "sounding the same on every song" can be extremely frustrating. I went through much the same thing when I first started. My roommate played and I started to pick up his guitar and learn a few things. He was almost totally country where I was mostly rock and roll. As a result I tended to play rock with a country type style( rather interesting concept but not what I really wanted to do) I got around this by hooking up with other more advanced players and imitating what they did(no online video lessons in those days) Eventually I got to the point where I could seperate the country style I had picked up while learning during my first year and could play whatever style I needed. Listen to the songs you want to learn and follow along with them,hookup with more advanced players and follow along, eventually you will be able to play different styles and they won't all sound the same. LOL

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Hi joy123
I'm assuming your've got the open chords and some barres down ie your comfortable chord changes etc.
Picking through chords in a  arpeggio style can bring variations to your playing.
Songs you know well can sound different without to much practice.
Ark

Joy123 try playing a few songs outside your regular interests.  A friend showed me Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show and I just don't play that sort of stuff.  But it's got a very hooky strum and very simple.  My daughter showed me Deathcab's I Will Follow You Into the Dark.  We get stuck focusing on the chord changes with the fret hand, but 50% of your skills shine in the other hand.  Chordie is the best tab site ever (IMO), but if you view a few of these songs out of your normal genre on Youtube you should find you can play much better with the strum hand.  And you're right, people do notice the strum is same on all your songs if you get in that habit.  Hope this helps.

All good advice.  I started off with Lightfoot as well then I learned to finger pick chords as well as strum.  Coming here and looking up the songs I love, going to music stores irl and inline and looking for songbooks from different singers/bands was also a way to break the monotony.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Definitely all my stuff sounds the same.  Generally I just tell people (adults, of course) to drink until I sound good.  Of course, I usually play for others at a camp-ground so no one is going anywhere and they were going to do the drinking anyway. 

Good luck, and congratulations on recognizing something about your own playing enough to figure out what to work on.  That takes some humility, some patience, and a desire to improve.  With those three things in your favor, it'll be hard for you not to do well.  Keep up the good work.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

14 (edited by NELA 2008-11-15 22:31:40)

Right or wrong I try to listen to the song and keep time with the "beat" of the song. Think "1" as a down strum and "&" as an up strum. So your strum pattern would be;
Down....Down....Up....Up...Down....Up............ or
   1          2        &      &       3        &      1

To me, I can't think of a song where this would work. (not saying you are wrong, just saying this is a pattern I don't use) I play mostly older country songs and use a;
Down....Down....Up....Down.....Up.....Down....up...   
    1         2        &         3        &         4        &         1  or

Down....Up....Down....Up.....Down....Up......Down......Up...
   1        &        2        &          3       &          4          &        1

Try either of these pattern on songs in a 4/4 time for something different.

In 3/4 time a completely different pattern is used

Down...Up....Down....Up....Down....Up......
   1       &        2        &        3        &        1   or

Down....Down.....Up......Down.....Up.....
   1           2        &          3          &        1

Struming is just timing. Hear the BEAT and match the strum to it.

Nela

Zurf wrote:

Definitely all my stuff sounds the same.  Generally I just tell people (adults, of course) to drink until I sound good.  Of course, I usually play for others at a camp-ground so no one is going anywhere and they were going to do the drinking anyway. 

Good luck, and congratulations on recognizing something about your own playing enough to figure out what to work on.  That takes some humility, some patience, and a desire to improve.  With those three things in your favor, it'll be hard for you not to do well.  Keep up the good work.

- Zurf

I'll have to remember that if I ever get cajoled into playing before a group.  "You want me to play, drink up.  I'll sound better in a half hour or so."  LOL

As for the second part, QFT!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Mr. Zurf always seems to have the ability to trim around the fat and get right to the meat of the matter. I couldn't agree with you more. It's gotta be that crystal clear stream water up in your parts, or some kinda' liquid!?!?(e-hee)

Give everything but up.

17 (edited by ozymandias 2008-11-16 00:10:36)

SouthPaw41L wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Mr. Zurf always seems to have the ability to trim around the fat and get right to the meat of the matter. I couldn't agree with you more. It's gotta be that crystal clear stream water up in your parts, or some kinda' liquid!?!?(e-hee)

Yeah, Zurf summed it up very well.  1 year, your just beginning, keep going, enjoy the joy of being able to play, just keep playing, you'll do ok.  Just revel in the joy of making music.  You will find your way, just out of sheer desire to do so. 

Enjoy the journey, explore the possibilities.

Joy, 

I have been that man!  Been playing now about 4 years and boy did I go through that same sound thing!   I play a lot of Irish and folk and that can really sound the same.   Two things to try.  First work in some pull offs or hammer ons into the strums.  In some songs you could also miss out a strum...the sound from the previous strum will ring on and it gives a great feel.

The other thing to do is to not strum but pick instead.   Thumb 123 or some other version.  This will work on all sorts of stuff from Green Day to The Animals to slow ballads.

But the best way out of this is, as I've been told before is to listen to the song and not to depend too much on tabs.

Hope this helps a bit....

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

these suggestions are excellent,  i actually went to my friends house last night to play,  she and i started together a year ago and we talked alot about this sound same stuff, we are going to try to add in some picking and riffs into our songs to make it more interesting. we play alot of country, old and new, and also folk.  i like all kinds of music and try to play it.  i love all the suggestions and yes i too can say "drink up people" lol,   thanks again, i will keep practicing and try not to get too caught up in stressing over the strumming

20 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-11-16 14:23:19)

joy123,
You have become aware of a major problem for guitarists playing alone. Having one song sound like the next is a good way to empty any room fast.
Now you can keep this in mind when you select songs to learn. Keep in mind how the new material contrasts with the tunes you already have on your list. Go for a wide variety.
I bought an effects pedal for my electric to change up the guitar sound - phase shift for ballads, distortion for boogie tunes.
I found that as I age I find myself choosing more slow tunes. DANGER! As you age be sure to have lots-o-boogie stuff for the young ones. It may be like work to pound it out but the 20's and younger will dig it. The golden years are no time to turn square.
I have a long list of silly novelty songs for me and others that like to laugh. I like to add a tear jerker to a silly set for contrast. Make 'em laugh. Make 'em cry.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

SouthPaw41L wrote:

5) Go to different places when you jam( the mountains, the beach,river,creek{some sort of aquatic environment} You'll be surprised what nature will do to your state of mind.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

I find this extremely effective.  The river I visit and play for the fish at?  They prefer the Asus instead of a straight A.  The cows in the pasture prefer the more standard A with a bit more drive.  Funny how it works out that way.

johncub wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

I find this extremely effective.  The river I visit and play for the fish at?  They prefer the Asus instead of a straight A.  The cows in the pasture prefer the more standard A with a bit more drive.  Funny how it works out that way.

In my haste to read thru everything, I missed SouthPaw's awesome advice!

Find a teacher you like, then work with him (or her) to take your playing to the next level.

Everyone plateaus, and it can be a good thing.  It means you're comfortable doing something.  We get stuck because we don't like to get out of that comfort zone.

Set a goal.  Any goal.   Southpaw listed some good ones.  Then practice that until you're comfortable doing it.  Study it until you know it.   You'll break open some new skills, and eventually, you'll plateau on that, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]