Topic: "Banjo advice"

I've just picked up my first Banjo ..to learn as a Winter project,I play flat pick guitar so
am happy with left hand techniques hammers,slides all that stuff and new chord shapes
are no problem,its the right hand...Ive watched you tube lessons and can't decide which
is best to start with Clawhammer or jump straight in to "scruggs picking". Has anyone
been on this journey or any advice on starting out or how they did it.Most tunes I know
can be played in either style so its whats best to start off with as a new player..

Thanks Mark.

Re: "Banjo advice"

wey hey young man...clawhammer is very good to start with and is just as impressive as scruggs style when learning all there is to know about clawhammer..i actually try to do both for the variation relief. I used to argue the point with my teacher back down South but when i saw and heard what he did with it I was convinced about clawhammer...Do what you will Im just glad to have another banjo person on board....marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

just googled earth to where you are to see if i could hear ya playin...one more thing my friend you need to find a shed/ out building/ or if youre lucky you live alone ..others dont take kindly to our practise and in the Deep South US they call it shedding...you'll have fun with this instrument garunteed

I would try another.

Hi  Marcalan thanks for your post..looks like us Banjer players are thin on the ground on here ... lol
    suprised just how much noise theese little critters make when you play them,I have about 5 acres
    of woods and water here so working on that shed as we speak !:lol:

I just bought a banjo, and its just too much fun.

I live on Vancouver Island, BC (long way from down south ) I was also wondering abut clawhammer vs regular picking.... I guess both is the way to go.

I have the tab for duelling banjos, but cant really find the tab for the guitar part. Could this be played without someone doing the guitar?

I suppose choosing duelling banjos is probably a bit of a leap for a beginner player?  But it will teach me how to get around with my left hand notes, which I find harder to do than the right hand.

Hi Doreen Yep I've decided to practice both methods and see what works best for me..
                As you say the Banjo is great fun I can't put it down ..some wish I would lol

Duelling Banjos was I think writen for just two banjos and the guitar part was
                just for the film...Try "You tube" for duelling banjo lessons you might get the
                guitar part or try posting your request here on the song request forum.

Keep pickin'    Mark

I will check out you tube --- is it important to learn using the picks? They seem so big and awkward.

Hi Doreen2: yes you need the picks, it actually makes it easier, it just doesn't seem that way at first.

Well, Ive stuck with it, using the pics every time I play, and now I really like them, the sound is so much clearer, and its a bit easier to hear the melody notes,  (which is still hard to do)

Hi Buffalo ..yes your right I have been using picks for 3 weeks  and they now feel good
                 Just nailed first couple of bars of "Cripple Creek" still its a start... smile

Hey Doreen keep posting like to hear how another starter is doing!

I just started working on Cripple Creek,  Im going through the lessons in the You Can Teach Yourself  book by Janet Davis, and it seems to be a pretty good guide. I have a guitar teacher who knows some banjo, but he doesnt really know the correct way and I want to learn it all the right way.

Next thing I have to conquer is getting the D chord, it seems impossible.

Sometimes I work at clawhammer banjo, but Im not sure if the strum down part is supposed to be done with the index finger, or the third finger, or with all fingers? or does it matter?

If anyone knows any websites or books that are especially good for learning banjo, and banjo songs, please let me know.

Its sure nice to have a plsce to chat about banjo,  seems theres no one on Vancouver Island that plays it !

~ Dor.

Hi Doreen  Try   rickmckeon.com  He dose some great lessons...free smile and you can listen
                 and print out the Tab also he is on you tube just type in "Banjo lesson cripple creek"

Hope its some help ..keep at the "D" those fingers will do as u want one day.I still
                 have trouble keeping the roll steady during a change of chord

Have fun Mark...

Anybody interested in banjo - especially frailing or clawhammer banjo should go to www.tangiersound.wordpress.com or go to the Dobro33H channel on YouTube.

Doreen2 wrote:

I just started working on Cripple Creek,  Im going through the lessons in the You Can Teach Yourself  book by Janet Davis, and it seems to be a pretty good guide. I have a guitar teacher who knows some banjo, but he doesnt really know the correct way and I want to learn it all the right way.

Next thing I have to conquer is getting the D chord, it seems impossible.

Sometimes I work at clawhammer banjo, but Im not sure if the strum down part is supposed to be done with the index finger, or the third finger, or with all fingers? or does it matter?

If anyone knows any websites or books that are especially good for learning banjo, and banjo songs, please let me know.

Its sure nice to have a plsce to chat about banjo,  seems theres no one on Vancouver Island that plays it !

~ Dor.

Something that helped me to no end with banjo is to keep in mind what the stings are tuned (at least in G tuning). The bottom 4 stings of your standard guitar tuning with the bottom string a whole step lower. many chords and almost interchangeable between the two instruments. You just need to look at the banjo from a different point of view and it gets easier.

I am sure you have found this place yourself but http://www.banjohangout.org/ is an OK site. As far as lessons this site is amazing http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html but it is for clawhammer.

and your question about what fingers to use for clawhammer, I use my middle finger (often, mostly on my morning commute)
It seems to be personal preference though.
I picked middle because I need my nail short on my index finger so I could put my contacts in. And because it seemed more natural for me.

Anyway, cheers,
AW

Mandolin>guitar

Just had to comment when I saw someone elese on here say about the noise when practising the banjo .... Thats the one thing thats holding me back ... I live in a small house and have neighbours beside me and up above at the back on a bank  ... I am always muting the frailing or picking because of the racket I make with it and it really is inhibiting me learning . Once in a while I will go loud with it for about a minute  ( about once a week ) ... then stop because I know I can be heard etc .... I wished I lived a bit more secluded ...lol

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evsynator...if you have an open back banjo try putting some foam or sock or the like between the rod and the head this will dampen the volume ..i have this in place a rolled up sock also works...went to your website you are a talented fella with your photography and your music good work well done pat on the back...Buffalo tangier site looks pretty good ..Doreen try musicmoose.org great free lessons for scruggs style..from basics to advanced, you'll be there in no time believe me the excitment this instrument provides is wonderful and there are so many different things you can do with it other than bluegrass check out bela fleck..regarding claw hammer style I was taught to use my index finger but i do use my middle now it seems more comfortable but rewally I use both..I dont see where it makes a difference..Wait till you discover drop thumbing...Flatpicker I just googled earth to where you live looks like plenty of open space for all of us what do ya think? The Devon Banjo Gypsies? catchy band name HUH?

I would try another.

Thank you marcalan ... but my banjo is not able to be open back. Thanks for taking the time for the advice though ... also checked out your website and your stuff is really well done . Great voice style and clean recording etc ... sounds like you play for a living ?.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Hi evsynator I think your right trying to play at half power seems to make it harder I'am lucky I have
                   only cows and sheep round me so when they start walking I know its time to quit for a while...

Marcalan  lol Great name and yep got loads of room here in south Devon rolling hills and moorland and
                      coastline ... just the job for us "Banjo virgins" Do appriciate your advice and experience
                     I checked out your site great music ...you get the job as manager,front man ...lol we will
                     all stay in the back ground looking cute...
                     But your right there is some great banjo tunes out there am looking forward to getting
                     going with the banjo it is a great instrument.

Mark.

Hi flatpicker ... seems we dont live to far apart so if you ever come near plymouth and fancy having a bit of a jam with my guitar or banjo give me a shout .. cant drive myself though for a few weeks , just had an operation at derriford on my ankle and am in plaster for a few weeks , plenty of time on my hands - thats why I got the banjo as something else to learn while off of work .

Don't know wether you can advertise things on Chordie but I am getting rid of my Fender FB58  if anyone is interested.

Derbyshire area.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Hey evsynator   Sorry to hear your plight...I know I bust my ankle some 18 yrs ago and had a plate
                        put in ..still got it..lol  Promise I won't mention the itching in the plaster cast you
                        can't reach..oopps! Still you got me thinking ..I said in earlier post that I was going
                        to build a cabin by my little lake and have always had an idea of letting it out cheap
                        to Acoustic folks as a "practice session shed" I put all the services under ground last
                        year ...what yer think?

Charlotte  I think its ok but ask admin to be sure...if its ok start new post "Fender FB58 for sale"
                ps. We don't "get rid of" our Banjos  we let them go lol

Hi Flatpicker .... the cabin idea would be brilliant ! ... there is no place like it and am sure people would go for it . Unless you go to an "open mic" night in a pub etc its hard for people who are into accoustic  sounds having anywhere . Really sounds good .  On the other note ... I am only in plaster for another 3 weeks ...it was a repair job because I broke my leg last year in three places and dislocated my foot .. it didnt heal properly . In a way its nice to have a few  weeks to indulge myself with being lazy ... and plenty of time to learn my banjo .

For anyone interested in the Earl Scruggs method, he wrote is own instruction book you can get it on Amazon.com.  I have provided a link for it.  Amazon always offers used books so you dont have to pay full price.  I used Earl's book when I took lessons.  Even though I don't play the banjo anymore(Had to sell it a long time ago, I am a uke player now) I still recommend it as the best instruction book for this method.

http://www.amazon.com/Earl-Scruggs-5-St … 0634060422

It is better to remain silent and look like a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

hey flat picker and fellow banjo mates check this out..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jn3KCZEqxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlqQ1_v … re=related

I would try another.

Hey Marc  Thanks for the links now I'am really p***ed off ..lol

Was that you on the piano in foggy mountain ? big_smile

How's all you other newbies doing.me Iam finding it hard to switch rolls in mid stream
               any tips Marc..