Topic: Shipping a guitar

I'm getting a guitar box to ship it in.  I need to loosen the strings, anything else before I ship it out?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Shipping a guitar

Find out if your shipper has insurance and what the cost is to insure the guitar during shipment. Never hurtz to have some coverage.

Nela

Got that covered, thanks.  Any other preps regarding the instrument itself?

Switchfoot

Bubble wrap the entire instrument and consider boxing the box, with bubble wrap inbetween the boxes. You'll have a customer for life and word will get out about your great care for 'sacred 'musical instruments.  It costs a little bit more but it's worth it. That's how I do it.....

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Bubble wrap the entire instrument and consider boxing the box, with bubble wrap inbetween the boxes. You'll have a customer for life and word will get out about your great care for 'sacred 'musical instruments.  It costs a little bit more but it's worth it. That's how I do it.....

I'm shipping the guitar inside it's gigbag though....but I will make sure to pad the box.

Switchfoot

If the guitar goes by air, loosen the strings a bunch.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I would have thought it a bit risky using a gigbag. However well padded against normal knocks and bangs I do not think it is sturdy enough to give much protection whist being shipped.

If a hard case is out if the question I would go to my local guitar store and see if I could have two of the cardboard boxes that guitars are shipped in. One a snug fit for the guitar and one larger and then follow Southpaw's advice.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That's what I'm going to do, only the guitar will be inside the gigbag inside the box.

Switchfoot

If you can get your hands on a couple of silica gel bags and pack them in with the guitar.  They will soak up any condensation or excess moisture in the air.

Hope it helps,

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Might not hurt to take a pic of it before you ship it that way youll have proof of the condition it was in when you shipped it...

Thanks guys

Switchfoot