Topic: church

I am from Belgium, EUROPE.
I just wanted to know about playing in Church, because this phenomenon is not (maybe) anylonger present here. So I read a lot on "chordie" and I see a lot of people asking songs or how to play guitar, because they play in church, and to be honest I am very greedy to know exactly what this means and what they hope in the future.
As far as I see or understand, there must be a lot of musicians who start to play in Church, what kind of songs are played: Dylan? and is it also in every religion? because in the USA they have a lot of different "churches".
Singers, like Whitney Houston they started singing in Church.
That's why I write this topic, because of the difference between the USA & Europe

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: church

Good point, I'd also love to play in Church, I can imagine me shredding out "All things bright and beautiful with a EVH effect, and using the vibrato arm (whammy bar) a lot that would be funny. I don't know why some Churches would allow it and some wouldn't but then I haven't seen many different Churches I've only been to one Catholic Church. I usually go to an Anglican Church. I should ask, because our organist is quite old and finds it hard now God bless her! I would try it, go for it.
Good luck

Will

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I can only speak from an evangelican Protestant perspective.  I've been attending churches like that for a long while.  In them, there are a few songs from the Methodist Hymnal that a lot of folks might recognize, but by and large the music is "Praise and Worship Music" that has a lot more similarity to 1970's singer/songwriter and folk music than it does other hymns.  Some of it's pretty good and rocks pretty hard.  Some of it's pretty good and creates a good mood of worship.  A lot of it stinks out loud. 

I have played bass in a Praise and Worship band.  There are some nice advantages.  One, you have a gig with an audience every week.  Two, you get to play something new that you haven't heard on the radio a gazillion times (assuming that you don't listen to Contemporary Christian radio stations anyway).  Three (if you're a guitar player), they are meant to be sing-alongs.  This means that the keys are often keys in which guitar players infrequently play - so you get to practice some different chords.  Four, arrangements are expected.  People don't complain, "Hey, that's not the way Zepp does it..." 

Usually worship sets are three or four songs, and maybe additional song time during collection, or maybe the guitar play picks out a subtle and contemplative tune during prayer time to add to the mood. 

It's a lot of fun.  The key things to me for playing in a Praise and Worship band were two-fold.  First, the audience is an audience of One.  Two, the other folks present are encouraged to participate and when it all comes together and everyone's having fun and grooving and singing and praising it's a kind of fun that's tough to describe.  I guess these are really just two sides of the same coin. 

Down side - rarely applause.  That's not what it's all about, but I'm immature enough to admit that sometimes when I've done a really good job on the bass and everything was grooving that it'd be nice to have an ego stroke.  My problem, not the congregations. 

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Some denominations don't allow any music.
Some don't allow stringed instruments (so they say) but yet they play all their music on piano. Which has plenty of strings. I am not bashing them. They have the right.
I'm Baptist. We won't make love standing up. Someone might think we are dancing!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I don't mean to sound too philisophical here, but I think guitars or bands in church speaks to the plurality of America. Our culture, our politics, and our churches are influenced by many different people from different backgrounds. Many churches have evolved because of influences from people of different cultures joining their church or as a result of wanting to attract membership from other cultures. I don't think this unique to the US. Christian societies in Africa or South America rarely sing songs found in the hymn book because those songs don't fit their culture at all. I would think the reason you don't see a lot of music like this in Europe is because the traditions of the religion were started in Europe in the first place so they ultimately fit the culture and remain relatively unchanged as a result of little outside influence.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I have no religion, yet I go to church and play guitar every Sunday.  I write praise songs, and most of the music I play is Christian Rock.  Why? Because Christianity, true Christianity, is not a religion.  Religion is something you do that makes you look good-I go to church every Sunday, I pay my dues every month, I volunteer at every extra church function, look at me and how good I am.  That being said, church, regardless of denomination, has influenced many different singers, not only Christian artists.  Johnny Cash (who became a Christian later on in life) started out his music career singing gospel.  On a slightly different note, As I Lay Dying, one of the most popular metal bands around today, is a Christian band (yes, Christian metal exists.  Not all metal is "Worship the devil!" music).  I read an interview with them and you'd be surprised at their morals and convictions.  Just because their style of music is aggressive doesn't mean anything about what they believe.  To answer your question, what is sung in church varies, but in many Christian churches, everything from old hymns with and organ to modern Christian rock with overdriven electric guitars, bass, and drums is used.  The common theme in the music throughout any true Christian church? Worshiping Jesus Christ our Savior.  Some denominations don't use instruments, which I find strange because the book of Psalms says to "praise the Lord with stringed instruments; praise Him with harp and lyre".  I guess nowadays that means guitars and bass smile

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I like that song 'Under The Milky Way' by " The CHURCH".

The Church are an Australian rock band formed in Sydney in 1980. Initially associated with New Wave and the neo-psychedelic sound of the mid 1980s, their music later became more reminiscent of "prog rock", featuring long instrumental jams and complex guitar interplay.

The Church's debut album, Of Skins and Heart (1981), earned them their first radio hit "The Unguarded Moment". They were signed to major labels in Australia, Europe and the U.S. However, the U.S. label was dissatisfied with their second album and dropped the band without releasing the album.

Good band!

"Music is my religion."-James Marshall Hendrix

Give everything but up.

i'm from New Brunswick, CANADA.
gitaardocphil,i go to a baptist church and play electric guitar on the worship team.
some times their are a few slow songs where i can't play w/ distortion.
as for the type of songs played, there are a lot of modern praise and worship like Matt Redman's 'Blessed be your name'. infrequently the worship leader will pick a song that is vvvvvveeeeerrrrrryyyyyy ssslllooowww.
but all in all i love it, i've had a couple songs in which i could play a picking part(i'm not very good at that), and a few songs where i could play power chords.

The world is only going to get worse!

How many different churches are there in the USA? I was told long ago that the very first thing to do was become a member of a church.
If I wasn't people would neglect me. IS THIS TRUE OR NOT?
I must admit that when I see in a movie, people singing gospel that I am really amazed, the way they sing and swing, JESUS, this doesn't exist here in Belgium.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

That's not true, as the majority of people don't attend any sort of church.  If they do it's only on the Holidays like Christmas and Easter.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I've found that many Europeans from heavily Catholic countries (Ireland, Italy, etc...) struggle with understanding the plethora of religious options available in America.   If you grew up in a world where there was the Catholic Church and "other", trying to understand the nuances between Methodists and Presbyterians would be rather confusing.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

before this gets too religious can folk look at the topic and keep to it

this is about music not religious politics.

Lieven can I suggest if you want to know how many churches are in te USA then google it.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I can speak from my experience of playing guitar & bass for over 20 years in evangelical protestant churches. I play "praise & worship" music, which, as a previous poster stated receives little or no applause because it is all about playing for God, or mostly for Him.  We play alot of different music, ranging from hymns, to 70's easy listening style, to hard rock. Electric guitars, electric keyboards, grand piano, acoustic guitars, drums, everything/all instruments. We play in all keys, whatever keys lend themselves best to congregational singing. We have musicians from age 13 to about 61. The advantages are: the reasons why we do it, the "forgiving audience," it's fun, and it satisfies my drive to play.  We have about 30 musicians, I am probably the oldest at age 61 and I have no desire to ever stop doing it until I die. You all know how much fun it is to play, and that fun level only increases with the years. I play with 13 year olds, 30 year olds, and every age in between. I have played with about 100 different musicians over the 22 years that I have been playing in church.  If you are a Christian, and a musician, give it a try!