Topic: I'd like to hear your thoughts on this?

Hi, to all at Chordie.  Ok, anyone who knows me will know that I am 63years old, apart, from

breathing problims, bone problimes, ulsers, I have one other problim which I never considered,

before as serrious.  However, when I was on the JamPlay Site with my Grandson, all the

instructors talked about listening while playing, well I'm hard of hearing, I wear an ear peice,

now I don't think it interferes with my hearing the music with the ear peice in, but my question ,

is this:    Am I really hearing the Music that I should if I'm wearing an ear peice?

I'd like to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Luck and Health to all!!!

Re: I'd like to hear your thoughts on this?

Headcase I will try and give you an answer,first I to have a hearing problem I'm supposed to wear my hearing aids but once I put them in I hear all the frequencies I never heard before due to an accident. I was shooting a large caliber handgun for practice I think it was a magnum and nobody wore earplugs back then I'm 67 now and after I finished shooting I was deaf I went to the doctor and he told me (wrote it down) that I had damaged my inner ear and ruptured my eardrums and he could not give me assurances I would ever hear again,fortunately after 4 days my ears just "popped" and I was able to hear again,talk about relief i was overjoyed he tested my hearing and he concluded I would have to wear aids for the rest of my life,well there sitting in the same box he gave me I dont wear them for the same reason as you and to answer your question no your not hearing the music as people with good hearing do because your missing like me certain frequencies but you can adjust to this as I did just appreciate the music as it is and learn to live with it,to this day my hearing aids sit in the same box I refuse to wear them because if that's the way the world around me sounds normally, I'm happy in mine smile

Headcase wrote:

Hi, to all at Chordie.  Ok, anyone who knows me will know that I am 63years old, apart, from

breathing problims, bone problimes, ulsers, I have one other problim which I never considered,

before as serrious.  However, when I was on the JamPlay Site with my Grandson, all the

instructors talked about listening while playing, well I'm hard of hearing, I wear an ear peice,

now I don't think it interferes with my hearing the music with the ear peice in, but my question ,

is this:    Am I really hearing the Music that I should if I'm wearing an ear peice?

I'd like to hear anyones thoughts on this.

Luck and Health to all!!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by alansheeran 2008-11-28 08:06:24)

Russell,

I have to disagree with you. I will, however, start with a caveat. Not everyone's hearing loss is the same. Nevertheless, you can get very close to your previous hearing by using hearing aids.

First of all, modern digital hearing aids can fill in the gaps that your "normal" hearing has lost. That is their job. They are set electronically to do that. The loss of frequency that most people have is not an absolute loss. Amplifying those frequencies will, in the majority of cases, return your hearing to approaching normal. That is why my morning is peaceful until I put on my aid and get drowned out by the birds that have gone unheard up until then.

With the digital hearing aids that we get in the UK ( Free from our wonderful National Health Service), there are a number of pre-sets - normally three ( all around sound, face to face sound and loop - or 1, 2, or 3 beeps when you adjust them). There are other settings that are available. One of these, known as "setting 3" is specifically for music. The other pre-sets are set for speech with high db and high hz so that you can get the s and f sounds. They will not be giving you a broad sound range ( you may get clicks in higher registers). You can ask your audiologist to replace one of your existing pre-sets with the music pre-set.

I only heard of this from an audiologist a few weeks ago, so it's something that I have yet to try, but you can be sure I'll be asking for it at my next appointment. I do not need the loop setting.

Finally, Russell, if your hearing aids are old, they may be analogue, rather than digital. Digital will make a huge difference, as an audiologist can set them for your specific hearing loss. Do go back to your doctor and check this out, you will appreciate the difference.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

well I do have the latest aids available, my hearing was checked last year and I was provided free the latest in auditory equipment and my feelings remain the same,I find no argument with others useing these aids and I agree not all hearing loss is the same I can only speak for myself I simply dont want to hear all the racket going on around me period! so they will remain in there box,nuff said smile 

alansheeran wrote:

Russell,

I have to disagree with you. I will, however, start with a caveat. Not everyone's hearing loss is the same. Nevertheless, you can get very close to your previous hearing by using hearing aids.

First of all, modern digital hearing aids can fill in the gaps that your "normal" hearing has lost. That is their job. They are set electronically to do that. The loss of frequency that most people have is not an absolute loss. Amplifying those frequencies will, in the majority of cases, return your hearing to approaching normal. That is why my morning is peaceful until I put on my aid and get drowned out by the birds that have gone unheard up until then.

With the digital hearing aids that we get in the UK ( Free from our wonderful National Health Service), there are a number of pre-sets - normally three ( all around sound, face to face sound and loop - or 1, 2, or 3 beeps when you adjust them). There are other settings that are available. One of these, known as "setting 3" is specifically for music. The other pre-sets are set for speech with high db and high hz so that you can get the s and f sounds. They will not be giving you a broad sound range ( you may get clicks in higher registers). You can ask your audiologist to replace one of your existing pre-sets with the music pre-set.

I only heard of this from an audiologist a few weeks ago, so it's something that I have yet to try, but you can be sure I'll be asking for it at my next appointment. I do not need the loop setting.

Finally, Russell, if your hearing aids are old, they may be analogue, rather than digital. Digital will make a huge difference, as an audiologist can set them for your specific hearing loss. Do go back to your doctor and check this out, you will appreciate the difference.

I am in absolute agreement. I have been deaf in one ear since a child and it has never really caused me any problems. When I go to sleep at night I can put my good ear to the pillow and also cut out the racket around me.

Sometimes when I awake in the morning and look at the wife I wish my eyesight was also failing.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

My point is that you can get close to normal hearing using a hearing aid.

I want to know the tone of my guitar and mandolin, I want to know, as best I can, what I am communicating to other people. Hearing aids are my choice by way of achieving that.

If you are chosing not to use the aids then that is your concern. However, it is important to say that hearing aids are a very positive thing for many people. That they can add to the pleasure that you can take from music. Younger people who use hearing aids need also to be encouraged to use their aids and enjoy as much of the world's sounds as possible.

And finally, for the heavy rockers out there - do keep an eye on those ears !

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earbanearret.html

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

lol thanks for the laugh smile

charlotte wrote:

Sometimes when I awake in the morning and look at the wife I wish my eyesight was also failing.

The key words are "I" and "my concern" the "I" being what you want and the "my concern" being what I want, dont drag this on please, you made your point, I simply dont agree with it. 

alansheeran wrote:

My point is that you can get close to normal hearing using a hearing aid.

I want to know the tone of my guitar and mandolin, I want to know, as best I can, what I am communicating to other people. Hearing aids are my choice by way of achieving that.

If you are chosing not to use the aids then that is your concern. However, it is important to say that hearing aids are a very positive thing for many people. That they can add to the pleasure that you can take from music. Younger people who use hearing aids need also to be encouraged to use their aids and enjoy as much of the world's sounds as possible.

And finally, for the heavy rockers out there - do keep an eye on those ears !

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/earbanearret.html

I have to agree with Alan on this, when I am not wearing my hearing aid I do not hear half of what is going on.  Plus as I said I think that my hearing aid helps me to enjoy my music better,
than if I did not wear it.
As for Russell, it is entirley his right to wear or not to wear his hearing aid, alought I think he is missing out, unless his hearing loss is very slite.
I was a member of the British Army for sixteen years, I always wore ear plugs on the range,
Hiwever, I fought in the Fauklands, and served in Northern Ireland and off course you can't wear ear plugs on duty. I didn't start to lose my hearing till long after I had left the Army.
All I will say on the matter is if you need a hearing aid then wear it's nothing to be ashamed about.

Luck and Helth to all!!!

Some years ago my partner, getting fed up with me saying "Hey, pardon" or "Say that again" and then answering her question, made me go for a hearing examination. Yes I was partially deaf in my left ear from years of using a 12 bore shotgun. The few seconds it took to say "Repeat that" gave me time to make sense of what I bit I heard and work out the rest.

I was issued with a free of charge, National Health Service hearing aid, which I got along fine with. It was an analogue one but a couple of years later it was change for a 'much improved' digital one. Unfortunately it picked up so much background noise that I found out I was better off without it. Now I have not worn it for three years.

I think that this is a subjective matter, it depends on how much loss of hearing one has and the quality of the hearing aid that is being used. The individual has to decide whether his hearing is better with or without an aid.

My hearing is slightly impared I am happier without it, someone with a more chronic hearing problem will no doubt be better off with one.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I am 55 going on 56 ... am a cab driver and the last few years am always asking people to repeat themselves ( things I always used to hear ) ... I cant pick up the low notes in the voice but the high ones are ok ..... perhaps a lot to do with it is just getting old. Its either that or the devon drawling accent they speak with - I can never work out which .... but saying that , I do have a lot of trouble with certain films with to much music  over dub ... and I used to be a TV sound recordist  .. weird . No gunshots etc .... so ... old age ?

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Missing out on what? I do thank you for recognizing my right to a choice in the matter, but I dont think I'm missing out on anything important click on my website and listen to my compositions if you can tell me I'm missing out after listening to them be specific in describing what it is you think im missing..if you can smile 

Headcase wrote:

As for Russell, it is entirely his right to wear or not to wear his hearing aid, alought I think he is missing out

As one dealing with tennitus and not wearing a hearing aid but am keenfully aware that my hearing is on the downward slide I thought I would jump in HEAR.
Hi Headcase..I hope your healing well.It is hard to say what is right for you.You can have your earpiece adjusted right but your stereo or computer or Ipod is not set up normally but you think it is. How do you know if you can't hear the real tone?If it is set up by young people,odds are the bass is turned wayyyy up. (that's not necessarily a bad thing)
For recording I think the point is being missed that when you are recording you want to be able to communicate to your listeners what it is you are hearing.
How can they hear what you are hearing in your mind when you can't hear the tones that are really there?
I agree with Alan on this one,for recording purposes, get the most accurate earpiece.
What you hear may not be what the listener is listening to.
Record with digital earpiece for better clarity of sound and remove it after if you wish.
Listen to your music for a truer sound and remove it after if you wish.
Wear it all day and remove it at night for a quite nights sleep if you wish.
And charlotte...thanks for the chuckle. lol I'll take the bad hearing thank you
I also agree with Russ cause the proofs in the pudding. smile You can write and mix.

That's my take...Sorry for rambling...Sorry what did you say. lol

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)