Topic: Floyd Rose Bridge - I need help setting this up!!

Hey there, I just bought a new jackson and took off the strings and now I can't seem to get this thing in tune and operate the way I want it too.
Any help is great! Thanks

Re: Floyd Rose Bridge - I need help setting this up!!

Well I have been through that exercise.Don't take all the strings off.To replace strings unlock the three clamps at the nut and do one string at a time and tune this string.When finished tune  again.Set fine tuners to middle. Start at low E. and when finished check low E again and if flat start again and tune each string a little sharp and repeat until all strings are tuned When finished make sure the base is not tilted away from the body, if it is you adjust the springs.I got tired of this and took the back plate off and blocked the springs to make it a fixed bridge The blocks need to be a hard wood and a snug fit but not to tight because they need to be removeable

If your new strings are a different thickness than the originals, you may have to adjust the spring tension on the tremolo or even add another spring. If your guitar came with extra light strings and your new strings are lights, getting the new strings in tune will require extra tension and will pull the bridge up and not allow it to function correctly. You could fix this by adding a spring or by tightening the screws that hold the claw that holds the springs in the back of the guitar.

Also, it is easiest to get a floyd rose back in tune if you change the strings one at a time because then there is still tension on the bridge and it doesn't fall all the way to the body of the guitar.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

Greendale wrote:

Hey there, I just bought a new jackson and took off the strings and now I can't seem to get this thing in tune and operate the way I want it too.
Any help is great! Thanks

Greendale,

You can replace all your strings at once.  Once your strings are on and streched (yes stretch all your strings when their new) back off all of the fine tuners on the top of the bridge. Tune flat close to 440 and tighten your locking nut, once that is done use the fine tuners to tune to the 440.

Good luck.
Bootlegger.

Did you give the strings a little stretch before you tuned them?  If not they wont stay in tune.....

Tune them them give them a little over stretch and tune them all again.

Hope this helps.

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability