Re: Your Guitar

My first guitar was a acoustic Silvertone junior thats about 40 years old. Still playing it but now i rock out on some electric guitars

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

My Daughter's first guitar was a Sears Silvertone acoustic that she dug up from her grandparents storage area.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I started learning on a friends Washburn...not sure of the model. Soon after, I bought a Takamine G-330R which, for the time being, is still my only guitar. I don't have any fancy signatures on it like Noyz does, but it has plenty of scars on her from being dragged to many a camping trip so we could jam out by the campfire. Still sounds good, and I think the scars give her character!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

The first was a Tarada Classical bought second hand when I passed my 11+. I still have it - with more dings, cuts and thumps to it than you could count. There's also a rough bit on the side rear where I epoxied a collar stud so I could attach a string to play it standing up.

There were several after that until I found a "Yoshi" dreadnought which I am still playing nearly 25 years later. It's a strange guitar with what appears to be a solid maple top, and maple back and sides. There is the classical flame patterning following through the wood, otherwise I'd be sure it was a laminate job.  I recently replaced the original pins with Tusq pins, which has made a huge difference to the lift of the guitar.

My last acquisition is an electro-acoustic Freshman - which is a great little Guitar, as Radchael has already mentioned.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

My first was a loaner, an ancient DanElectro solid body with no amplifier, since my step father refused to allow a guitar in the house that could be heard outside the room I was in.  I learned all the open chords and a bit of finger picking on that guitar.

My current most played, and arguably "the one I learned on" is a Gretsch 5120 I bought last year.  I've played this guitar more in the last year than I did all others put together in the last 33.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

My first guitar was the Roy Clark editon brand unknown back in 80. By the time i could play a G, C, & D chord i went Elvis on it one morning and my dad busted it over my bed post. I was 8 then and went 20yrs before i got my Takamine which i still have. I play it when i feel the urge to write. I have an ibanez hollowbody that i play most often now but i still prefer a good acoustic anyday.

thnks guys(& girls) for posting.
it awsome reading your storys.

The world is only going to get worse!

dfoskey -

I keep buying my kids instruments, and my wife keeps getting driven nuts by them.  My eldest has her own guitar, and a full set of harmonicas.  The youngest has a couple harmonicas, a tambourine, and several rhythm instruments.  I don't know how my wife has shown sufficient restraint not to do what your dad did to your guitar. 

I have to know though, what is "going Elvis?" 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf

Going Elvis is a term i use when i get all shook up. I was really into Elvis tunes back then. I guess i was trying to impersonate him. You know i still like playing some of the Elvis songs but now with no fear of getting my gear busted. I also have kids but ican't intrest them in learning any real instuments. They only want to play the game instruments that are pre recorded.

My kids don't play them right either.  I just like that they won't be intimidated by instruments.  Some people shun them like they're poisonous snakes or something. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

My youngest son who is only 6 want to learn guitar but he doesn't have the attention span to practice. I've tried to get him to practice with me but i play for 2 or 3 hours at a time. He really needs a smaller guitar than a childs size because it is still too big for his small hands. Maybe a mandolin would work out better. I want to learn it myself. I've been told it's kinda like playing a ukulele. Do you know?

I sometimes wonder whether a mandolin would be a good start for people with small hands.   I'v hesitated on saying that when I have heard people here express frustration with their hand size and not finding a small enough guitar to play. 

It's a thought!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

yeah i think your on  to something ozy.
the only thing with a mandolin is that with their are two strings for every normal gitar string. beginners might have a hard time finding both strings.

dfoskey wrote:

My youngest son who is only 6 want to learn guitar but he doesn't have the attention span to practice. I've tried to get him to practice with me but i play for 2 or 3 hours at a time. He really needs a smaller guitar than a childs size because it is still too big for his small hands. Maybe a mandolin would work out better. I want to learn it myself. I've been told it's kinda like playing a ukulele. Do you know?

I play the mandolin a little as wel las the Uke and they are totally different.
They are tuned differently too.. The Uke is very easy. I would say probably the easiest stringed instrument to learn. The chords are easy too. The only thing about the Uke is the sound, you do not get the sound like a guitar, it does sound a bit like a toy, but I think it is a great instrument.

The mandolin is tuned like the violin and can be played with chords or like a lead instrument by playing individual notes. The mandolin is quite easy too for the chords after you get a hold of the chords for it. once you know 5 or 6 yer away, ye can play a load of songs.

In my opinion if you want your kid interested in music at an early age when they have a short attention span I would go for the Uke. I tried my boy when he was 8 on the mandolin and he gave up after learning dirty old town on it. Alo he had no rythum, trying to get him to strum it properly was a nightmare. But the Uke is easier to stumm too as it only has the 4 strings and nylon.
If you go for a Uke remember this...the strings will go out of tune all the time until they settle ( worse than a guitar) but once settled they wil be fine. Mine took over a week to settle down.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Yeah, I was wondering about the extra strings and tuning for the mandolin.   I was about 6 when I was "dragged" into taking piano lessons, a string of bad teachers and my own ADHD made that a quasi-hellish experience.   The desire was there, but, not the incentive or ability to focus on what I considered boring and tedious.   

My daughter started about 10 years old and her first teacher, who is my current teacher really did a good job of keeping her interested.  Then when we finally got a guitar that fit her and that she got to try out first, the rest was history.   At 6, it may be asking a bit much, but since he is around you and sees your dedication, the incentive and interest will never disappear.  It may just need a bit more time for him.  Also finding a good music store with a good variety of guitars that he can try out may be worth the extra effort. 

Good luck!

The uke is a good idea. Thanks guys.

I've been told that a mandolin is tuned the same as a fiddle, but can't say whether that's true.  I've never heard anything about ukes and mandos being similar. 

- Zurf

Her's some useful info on mandolin vs. fiddle, regarding standard tuning;

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~john.bal … uning.html

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page367.htm

They are tuned the same, standard. Variations can, an often are used though.

Give everything but up.

Zurf wrote:

I've been told that a mandolin is tuned the same as a fiddle, but can't say whether that's true.  I've never heard anything about ukes and mandos being similar. 

- Zurf

In my "Olde Tine String Band Class" the fiddles and the Mandolins pretty much play the same melodies.  And we on the guitars play rythmn and bass.   They seem to work better together melody wise.

An observation!

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Her's some useful info on mandolin vs. fiddle, regarding standard tuning;

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~john.bal … uning.html

http://www.folkofthewood.com/page367.htm

They are tuned the same, standard. Variations can, an often are used though.

Cool

I gave my seven year old grandson my Martin Backpacker travel guitar. He can just reach the end of the fret board but his grip is not yet strong enough to get clear chords. I am still trying to get him to play A,D and E but I see no point in pushing him.
He lead sings great so I am teaching him drums as his first instrument. I am getting good singing out of him and he drums along more each session we spend together.
I am sure glad my old Gibson thru a Korg effects pedal sounds like AC/DC's rhythm guitar because he's heavy into skateboarding and AC/DC and Motorhead are his faves. I just hope he doesn't blow out his vocal chords singing with that groaty growl.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

hey guys i'd like your opinion on something.
i'm thinking about getting a new gitr and was checking out a second hand store and a normal music store.
at the first store there is a second hand Jay Turner les paul model for about 270$. at the second store there is a Epiphone les paul for about 220$.
which is likely the better deal

washed by Him! wrote:

hey guys i'd like your opinion on something.
i'm thinking about getting a new gitr and was checking out a second hand store and a normal music store.
at the first store there is a second hand Jay Turner les paul model for about 270$. at the second store there is a Epiphone les paul for about 220$.
which is likely the better deal

If you can try them out and see how they feel, then the better deal is the one that fits you best.

ozymandias wrote:

If you can try them out and see how they feel, then the better deal is the one that fits you best.

Second that.

- Zurf

thnks guys so much