Topic: Cheap fender tremelo

Hey i bught a cheap fender starcaster begginer package so i could learn how to play.i bought it about 5 months ago and i think its great.im more higher level now.i still want to use this guitar when i get a new one.So i put heavy  strings on.the 12s.and i hate tremelos.The tremelo is bending forward and its annoying because it raised the string action alittle.is there a way to get the tremelo to lower back down(not the strings)With out buying lighter strings?i like the heavies because it keeps in tune really good.my buddy said i could put another spring in it to lower it down.i do not use the tremelo.its just a cheap floating tremelo system 3springs.Soplease help me out.ill appreciate it.thanks

Re: Cheap fender tremelo

Take the back cover off and jam a piece of wood between the trem area where the stings go in and the guitar body . . . this is called "blocking" the trem.  Loosen all your strings first before you do this so the springs can pull it all the way back and there can be no movement when you tighten and retune them.  Usually a piece of wood about 1" x 2 1/2" x 3/4" will work for this . . .

Royce Drake wrote:

Take the back cover off and jam a piece of wood between the trem area where the stings go in and the guitar body . . . this is called "blocking" the trem.  Loosen all your strings first before you do this so the springs can pull it all the way back and there can be no movement when you tighten and retune them.  Usually a piece of wood about 1" x 2 1/2" x 3/4" will work for this . . .

You can also tighten the six screws that holds down the trem, place all five springs on the (yes all five). Since your usings .12's (12 gauge high E and 52's on the low side) you have to reset your action since your strat came with a set of 9's. Or as royce said put in a trem block and reset your action to accomidate your new 12's.

Good Luck,

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger Guitars.

Tighten the two big screws which hold the claw onto which the spring attach - that's what they are for.

G.