Topic: Just one more question?

Thanks Jerome, for the quick responce, however, there was another part to the question, it
was probiley the way I wrote the questiond out, not your fault, (I'm Crawling now).
Here it is; when I play a song with a C Major chord in it I tend to play C/G, which is a C chord
with the G base note on the third fret of the sixth string.  Is this wrong?  I can play a normal,
C chord when I want to, but the C/G chord alowes me to play all six strings and sounds OK.
Now I have read books (Mostly MelBay Books) which show this [C/G] as being another way to play a C Major chord,
the same book shows the 1 4 5 for the Key of G as G C D, nothing about a seventh chord,
but back to the C/G chord the same books show the normal C chord and show it as playing all six strings, others show the D chord being played from the fifth string, and others the easy
F Chord as first and second strings barred at the first fret, the third string at the second fret,
the forth string at the third fret, play four strings, others five strings, yet they show the full  F barre, chord played from the fifth string, when it should surely be the sixth string as the barre,
is on the the F note on the sixth string, but I ramble on the main question is the C/G chord?
Thanks, for listening to me ramble on or is it reading me rambling on; there I go again.

Luck and Health to all!!

Re: Just one more question?

If it helps the C chord is a tritone of the notes C E G and you can place them in any order and it would still be a C chord and the 1 4 5 is not the chord construction thats 1 3 5 the 1 4 5 in G is G C D it is used in a progression like a blues or rock,so C/G is really optional because the open G in a C chord is already there (1st posistion) the notes in a open C chord are C E G C E so adding the 5th G is optional smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by Headcase 2008-12-10 00:41:16)

Thanks Russel, I'm just glad I wasn't getting into a bad habit, I think I'll give some of the

books a miss and just ask here on Chordie!  As for the chord progression, I was refearing,

to the key of [G] not the C chord, but I see what you mean, I ramble too much, a bad habit!

Luck and Health to all!!!

Exactly what Russell says. 

Technically what you're doing by adding the additional G is called an "inversion" but it's still a valid C chord.  It's easier to visualize inversions on a keyboard, and they really make more sense there, but what it amounts to is playing a chord with a note other than the root as the base.

Inversions of C

C major

C E G

1st inversion

E G C

2nd inversion

G C E

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]