Topic: Line 6 PODS?

I'm looking at different distortion pedals, and while the POD isn't exactly that, even the small ones have a ton of different distortion tones, in addition to other cool effects.  Should I consider one of these, or look around for a more straight-up distortion pedal, like a Boss Metal Zone?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Line 6 PODS?

I have not used any of the pod products but have used a boss metal zone before. I did like the metal zone pedal even though I would not consider myself a metal head. I do have a multi effects pedal though and really do like it alot. I would use it on stage but not to record with. Some of the effects can sound a bit "digital". The nice thing about a multi effects processor is you can have multiple sounds. If you know exactly what you're looking for, Try them all out and don't be afraid to shell out the bucks for what you like. If you're like me though and want one sound this week and another next week go for a multi effects like the pod or other. There is also a foot controller for the pod and I think they have a complete floor model.

I recently bought a Pocket Pod (not the POcket Pod Express version) and I love it. It's great for home recording and practice through headphones. I have not used it through a real amp yet (just a 10 watt practice; haven't really needed to) but I understand they sound just as good that way as well. It's a little quirky to use at first but I think it's a great value for around $119.00 in the US. I have also used the PodXT and that's great too. The pocket pod is portable and other than bad battery life it's great so far

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

If you have the money, than I think a multi effects pedal is the way to go. Not only do you have muti effects (hence the name), but you can tweek the individual effects that make up the effects themselves. Be easier to create your own sound that way than trying to tweek the single effect pedal, which are very limited in that regard! JMO though.
                                                                                                        getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

These PODDY thingies are great if one has an unlimited amount of time to get the exact sound  one wishes to produce.(i.e., home recording) They can be, however, a real thorn in ones'side while  performing live. Numerous times I've witnessed guitar players spend more time adjusting their '1,000 sounds in a box' gadgets than actually playing music. When performing live it is very important that one is familiar with their tools and have a back-up plan if something goes wrong( with a gadget that does 1,000 things there are 1,000 things that could potentially go wrong). I like to keep it simple when playing live. Know the sounds and settings  that put a quiver in yer liver (make you happy) and stick with 'em........

Dead air + lots of people = very few people

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Unfortunately I may never be good enough to play live hahaha thanks for the advice though

Switchfoot

They are great practice and compositional tools, but I wouldn't put one in front of an amp live.  Line6 makes great stuff, but when you crank up the volume, it has a "digital" sound to it.   We have one (even have the pedal to control it) and our guitarist eventually went back to his favorite stomp box group.

Edit to add:

This is a POD2 "red bean."  I know they have newer stuff, but I don't know how it fares.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Also, with respect to using Line 6 stuff, I've read a lot of articles that recommend using a guitar with humbucking pick ups rather than single coil. So far, I find this to be true but I'm far from an expert with this pod thing. Sounds better on of the LP copy than the strat.

Elvis Costello

I'm playing on an Ibanez RG with two humbuckers.

Switchfoot

I think it'd be a good investment. As long as you're not gigging it's a boatload of fun for relatively short money.

Elvis Costello

I am tube amp purist, but I use aPod for headphone practice and recording ideas to the PC. It doesn't really sound like a good tube amp, but it sounds decent, has built-in FX and mimics the sound of different speaker cabs. I haven't heard a stomp box that you would want to plug straight into a PC.

On the other hand, the Pod would not sound great plugged into an amp, for live use. I have heard that people have had better live results with the Pod plugged into a small PA or keyboard amp, since the full range system can more easily reproduce the kind of sounds it generates.

Thanks, because I want don't care about plugging it into my computer, I want a pedal to plug into my amp and use.  I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks though!

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

Thanks, because I want don't care about plugging it into my computer, I want a pedal to plug into my amp and use.  I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks though!

You might want to consider taking a trip to your local "main stream" music store( i.e. Guitar Centre, Sam Ash, 123 Music, etc) and try out the different stomp pedals. Eac store usually has a "tree" of pedals set up and ready to try out. They'll usually have Boss ( my personal fav.) DigiTech, and DOD. They're all excellent pedals and comes down to personal preference.

Jot down the pedals you like and research their prices on-line. Print out a copy of the lowest price on your 'fancy-tickin'' pedals, take 'em back to the store and give your local business' a chance to match the best on-line price you locate. I always use this 'penny-pinchin'' technique when i make a purchase. They can say yes or they can can say no............

Happy Hunting,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

14 (edited by getfiddle 2008-12-15 19:30:49)

I have a Boss ME30 that I run through and then to my pc. It has a bypass, so I can still play or record through my pc if I don't want to use the pedal. It also has built in tuner, which is awsome. Has preset and user settings, so you can set each indivitual effect to your taste and save them for future use. That being said, I do have an onboard effects program that came with my soundcard that I purchased at Guitar Center for around $100.00 US dollars. Also came with a cubase recording program, Which I've yet learned to operate. But Audacity works just fine till I can find someone to explain to me how to use cubase. I agree southpaw, Boss is the bomb. Boss and Roland are made by the same company, so I would trust either. Has anyone had experience with the Audacity portable? Downloaded it the other day and put it on my exterior hard drive. Haven't had time to play with it yet. Can use it on anybodys computer without having to install it on there computer.
                                      getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle wrote:

I have a Boss ME30 that I run through and then to my pc. It has a bypass, so I can still play or record if I don't want to use the pedal. It also has built in tuner, which is awsome. Has preset and user settings, so you can set each indivitual effect to your taste. That being said, I do have an onboard effects program that can with my soundcard that I purchased at Guitar Center for around $100.00 US dollars. Also came with a cubase recording program, Which I've yet learned to operate. But Audacity works just fine till I can find someone to explain to me how to use cubase. I agree southpaw, Boss is the bomb. Boss and Roland are made by the same company, so I would trust either. 
                           getfiddle

Funny I recently bought a Tascam USB interface that came with Cubase. I consider myself computer saavy but Cubase is just plain weird!!!! I've been using Audacity which I liked but recently switched to Mixcraft which I love. It's 50.00 or so but you can try it free for 7 days. I think it's well worth it. It's a little "slicker" than Audacity....IMHO throw that Cubase disk out!!!

Elvis Costello

Cubase looks like an awsome program! When I try to use it, it tells me I need to put an insert in, but when I try, it wont let me! Go figure! It's part of the program, so getting rid of it I don't think is an option. It has a manual, but you need to be an M. I. T graduate to understand it! I also have a Tascam 2488, but it keeps overheating on me so it's sitting in the closet till I decide what I want to do with it. I think I'll contact Tascam and find out what is wrong with it or go to there forum and explain to them what it's doing. Maybe someone on there knows whats up!
                                                                                                                               getfiddle

I have an aged Boss GL100 twin channel pre-amp.  Strapped to the top of an equalled aged Fender Switcher Reverb, 30W.  And I have a Pocket POD.  All in all the distortion options on the GL100 are easy to use, with the foot swich wired through to an extra button on the Switcher foot switch I can blip from silky clean to earwax removal.  And they all sound good to me.

Now, the POD, simply brilliant.  I'd never use it live, too fiddly, but when away from home it's a whole world of sounds in an easily portable format.  Coupled with my Hofner Shorty I'm never, er short?, of a decent set of sounds to practice/experiment with.  The distrtion sounds are not as good as on the amp/pre-amp set up, but it's only me listening to them anyway!

Each has there own merits, and once you are settled with a piece of kit, stick with it.

SouthPaw41L has the right idea. Keep it simple onstage.
My partner, John Reno, jettisoned his piano and all stomp boxes. he plays his Taylor through a stereo chorus all the time and has almost no dead air between tunes. He never takes papers onstage. If he doesn't know it, he doesn't play it. John believes he can do a better job with his eyes on the audience.
I play less often and allow myself a Korg A-4 effects pedal to change the sound of my hollowbody Gibson. I have a play list of memorized tunes that should get me through a four hour gig, but like Toney, I have a fat book with 400 tunes in it on a heavy music stand with a light. I line up and bookmark selections in my book on a break so I can get from one to another quickly.
I fear dead air and tuning loudly onstage. My A-4 pedal has built-in silent tuning.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?