Topic: replacing strings

Can you get Duff strings? Ave replaced the strings on my acoustic with Martin SP 12s and i dont like the sound of them, they sound dead, dull,?
any comments plz
also apart from being easier to play and on the fingers what difference would you get changing to let say 10,s ?
Am thinking of lightening up the strings, so advice before i buy i think

Regards Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: replacing strings

Hello, seems different guitars like different strings, my Martin sounds better with Martin strings my Yairi and Takimine like Elixer polyweb the best, they cost alittle more but last a long time and sound good too.I use 12-54  I wouldn't go lighter.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

micky the mooch wrote:

Can you get Duff strings? Ave replaced the strings on my acoustic with Martin SP 12s and i dont like the sound of them, they sound dead, dull,?
any comments plz
also apart from being easier to play and on the fingers what difference would you get changing to let say 10,s ?
Am thinking of lightening up the strings, so advice before i buy i think

Regards Micky

Hi Mickey,
  Yes you can get duff strings. If the string have not been stored in a climate controlled environment, they will age in the packaging. Over exposure to sunlight will rag 'em out too. It'd be worth a try at least to ask for a replacement set where you bought 'em.

Also, if you're planning on switching from 12's to 10's you may experience severe difficultly in keeping the guitar in tune. By going from 12's to 10's you're gonna 'shock' the wood and it'll react to lighter tension. It's best to gradually switch the string guage to best reduce this 'wood shock' process. If you're set on switching, I'd go to 11's first. Or maybe you keep the 12's on and tune down a 1/2 a step or even a full step and capo the first or second fret. Just a few thoughts. Good luck.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Another thing about lighter strings is they tend to be a bit quieter.  If your guitar is harsh it can tone it down.  But SouthPaw is right the strings will give more so you'll tend to bend notes.  I use Elixer custom light nano's....they're .011 sort of a compromise, but lots of places don't carry them.

I recently changed strings and as a result have a slight fret buzz on my D string about the 3rd - 5th fret. Is this down to duff strings? (they're really quite cheap and have been lying around for a while. I took off elixer nanos and stuck on the only ones i had to hand which have been lying for about a year in the packaging.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi Al V,
  If the replacement strings you're using are considerably thinner than the  replaced strings, buzzing can and sometimes will occur. A G string placed in a D string locale will buzz because it's made to be strung at a higher tension. The quality of the strings though shouldn't effect the set-up schematics,( ie fret buzz) but the tone of your instrument will be lacking and life of the string will be reduced.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

edited to add(12-21-08)

Give everything but up.

7 (edited by alvee33 2008-12-21 18:00:36)

Thanks SP,

Same gauge strings, all in correct place. But now a slight fret buzz. Very annoying. Most folk don't notice  but I can hear it like a band saw. I'll get myself some decent quality strings and see if it helps. If not then I'm concerned.

I've used 11's on it since I bought it, although it had 12's on when I got it (about a year and a half ago), which I changed within days. Should I go back to 12's?

lol lol lol hear it like a ban saw lol good one

My mate changed from medium gauge to light gauge ( dont know the exact gauge size) nothing was wrong at first but after a few weeks or a month he started getting the buzz.
He was ready to get a new guitar but after talking to a guy in a music shop he asked about the size he used, he told him he used to use medioum gauge but changed to light gauge.
he was told to change back to mediums and he has not had a problem with the buzz since.

only problem I have had from buzzing is a wasp that went in my sound hole, yes I played the guitar and it quickly came out lol
Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

alvee33 wrote:

Thanks SP,

Same gauge strings, all in correct place. But now a slight fret buzz. Very annoying. Most folk don't notice  but I can hear it like a band saw. I'll get myself some decent quality strings and see if it helps. If not then I'm concerned.

I've used 11's on it since I bought it, although it had 12's on when I got it (about a year and a half ago), which I changed within days. Should I go back to 12's?

I think if you've played with 11's for 1 1/2 years you'll be ok stayin' with 'em. I'll bet new strings will solve your problem, but if not....

Take a good close look at your frets ( 1-5 ) and see if there are deep grooves in the frets. As the grooves deepen the string (s) become closer to the frets further up the fretboard, thus causing fret buzzing. You might need a fret job. The guy that does all of my guitar does partial fret replacements( replaces only the ones that need replacing). Most of the big named music stores won't do this. It's all or nothing with them and that's B.S.. Call around and find someone who'll replace the bad ones only.

If the frets look ok then have a look at the nut ( too deep=buzz). Or have a look at the saddle in the bridge and make sure there are no cracks or deep grooves. I stop at this point and take my instruments to my repair guy. Precision is crucial in nut, bridge, and/or saddle repair.

How often, and how many hours per day do you play this guitar?

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

edited content(12-21-08)

Give everything but up.

10 (edited by alvee33 2008-12-22 18:27:43)

Thanks again,

I play it most days. Some for only a short time, but at least once a week I could be playing it for a good 3 or 4 hours.

There are a couple of grooves developing in the bridge. This may be my problem. If a decent set of strings doesn't do the trick then I'll take your advice and take it to the pros.

And apologies to micky for hijacking the thread.

I just changed strings from the very cheap ones I had lying around to some decent D'addarios and lo and behold my aquired fret buzz has gone. So, in answer to micky the mooch's original question - yes, it would seem you CAN get duff strings. And it has put a smile back on my miserable face.

As a rule of thumb, tonewise, use the heaviest strings you can comfortably play. Obviously you don't want to go overboard but this philosophy is one I hold too and it works for me.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]

13 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-01-31 03:14:20)

Sworch wrote:

As a rule of thumb, tonewise, use the heaviest strings you can comfortably play. Obviously you don't want to go overboard but this philosophy is one I hold too and it works for me.

True but always be sure to check with the manufacturer to check if the guitar can handle the tension. Some makers don't recommend anything heavier than 12's and going over that will cause bellying and other structural issues. Most guitars don't recommend exceeding medium strings. For instance my '79 Yairi limited edition has an aged cedar top and yairi specifies only light or extra light strings while my '78 Yairi DY-78 Spruce/EIR specifies medium or lighter strings. It depends on the thickness of the top, top wood and rigidity of the bracing. Exceeding those will not only cause damage but ,since that's what the top has been tuned for, would also cause the top to become overdrivin, causing a loss of tonal clarity even if volume is increased. Just some thoughts...-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:
Sworch wrote:

True but always be sure to check with the manufacturer to check if the guitar can handle the tension. Some makers don't recommend anything heavier than 12's and going over that will cause bellying and other structural issues. Most guitars don't recommend exceeding medium strings. For instance my '79 Yairi limited edition has an aged cedar top and yairi specifies only light or extra light strings while my '78 Yairi DY-78 Spruce/EIR specifies medium or lighter strings. It depends on the thickness of the top, top wood and rigidity of the bracing. Exceeding those will not only cause damage but ,since that's what the top has been tuned for, would also cause the top to become overdrivin, causing a loss of tonal clarity even if volume is increased. Just some thoughts...-Pix

You are absolutely correct. I should be more careful with statements like that, especially when talking about acoustic guitars.

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]