Topic: SLIDE--- on acoustic, some help please

My dad got me some dunlop slides for christmas, one glass, one bronze, one chrome. I want to start learning to play this style... I'm assuming the best way is to tune it to open E, which I did like this:

E
B
G#
E
B
E

I've been playing 'In My Time of Dying" by Led Zep., and I have 'She Talks to Angels' by the Black Crowes... What are some fairly simple songs to learn that use slide in open tunings?? ALSO, anything if there's anything important I need to know, or even tips for a beginner anyone knows/has, I'd appreciate the advice.
Merry Christmas,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

Re: SLIDE--- on acoustic, some help please

I have been playing lap slide a few years.  I use open D,  DADF#AD it is great for vocals.
You can transpose any song to an open key for convenience.  Make sure to mute the strings behind the slide with soft finger pressure.  The slide should cover all six strings.
The most important part of slide is the picking hand.  Try to get used to a thumb pick if you can.
Do your own version of songs, at first simplify them to 3 or 4 chords.  Get used to keeping rhythm with your thumb and start experimenting picking with your index and middle finger.
Good luck!!  From the Land Down Under!

That's cool LR.  I think Lapslide is right .. open D sounds sweet on slide.  Probably some blues stuff would be most gratifying.  You might learn just the solo part in Traveling Wilbury's Handle With Care.  There's a lot of good slide players on Youtube, but I'm a fan of Tony Furtado since he opened for Eric Johnson at the Birchmere.  Here's a sample and note the simple movements he seems to use.  Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTr1FpbUnGE

Steve

last_rebel wrote:

My dad got me some dunlop slides for christmas, one glass, one bronze, one chrome. I want to start learning to play this style... I'm assuming the best way is to tune it to open E, which I did like this:

E
B
G#
E
B
E

I've been playing 'In My Time of Dying" by Led Zep., and I have 'She Talks to Angels' by the Black Crowes... What are some fairly simple songs to learn that use slide in open tunings?? ALSO, anything if there's anything important I need to know, or even tips for a beginner anyone knows/has, I'd appreciate the advice.
Merry Christmas,
LR

Perhaps the most important element of playing slide is string control. Begin playing one string at a time while muting the other 5, then play 2 strings together, (E&B, B&G, G&D ), then 3 strings, etc..,

STRING CONTROL=crucial!!!.

Really focus on controlling the strings that your are not playing. Muting, or string control can be done with the palm of your strumming/picking hand and/or with the fingers not in use on your 'slide' hand. It's kinda hard to descibe verbally(or typed) but you seem to have music in your soul. This will guide you, it's a 'feel' thing, but here's some general info to help you find the 'feel'. Also, it'd be greatly helpful to sit down, face to face, with a seasoned slide player and pay 'em a little money( or at least offer some $, the general rate for a 1/2 hour guitar lesson is $20-$35) for a few 'pointer sessions'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_guitar

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

check out this link www.slide.neonblade.com. This site is extremely helpful and informative. Lots of luck

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Hey thanks for all the help, and all the links were great. Now I want a dobro lol...

All You Need is Love smile

bswyers wrote:

check out this link www.slide.neonblade.com. This site is extremely helpful and informative. Lots of luck

Thanks!

[b][i][url=http://slide.neonblade.com]Slide Guitar for Beginners[/url][/i][/b]