Topic: Song Requests is it worth the asking?

just as i would post the good points of chordie, of which their are many,ave notice one which is lacking, or should that be the lacking on the members part? and that is "Song Requests" .many requests are left unanswered.
its just a passing thought, what do the members think? could "we" the members improve this part of the site?
opinions plzzzzz

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: Song Requests is it worth the asking?

Hi Mickey

I was thinking of moving this to CHAT,
bt it is about chordie and you have a very valid point.
I too have noticed the amount that goes unanswered.
I know I look in tha section when i see a new pos in but if I do not know the song I will not reply. I think this might be the case with most.
Or, I have a few times a while ago looked up on google for what some were looking for and found it quite easily and thought they could have done that.
Maybe they are not that familiar with search engines? maybe they are too lazy and just want the answer right in front of them? maybe they think a few milion people read that section and will get an answer? maybe members do not look in that section as they are not interested in helping?

quite a lot of anwers and I tihnk maybe all of the mare correct.
But still it does get used and some requests do get replies. I have not looked and tallied them up but I would think that the majority do get replies, even thoughter re a big number not getting replies.

this does solely rely on members to have a look in when they see a new post has been submitted and maybe they will never be able to help anyone but maybe one day they could help someone.
We cannot force members to go in or even to help if they do know the answer, but it would be nice if we could lol

Also for anyone replying, they must remember NOT to post lyrics and chords directly onto chordie, so maybe some of these unanswered threads are getting replies via email straight to the person.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The one thing Ive noticed is I have spent time googling song requests and provided links to pages where lyrics and chords could be obtained,sometimes it takes a little time to locate these and after I do and copy and paste the link for the person requesting a lot of times they dont even say thanks for the effort, and I'm not alone on this i'm sure,maybe a little reminder to those asking for assistance to a least acknowledge the person who helped them might improve the responses to these requests, a little courtesy go's a long way smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'll, second that Russ. I've have even listened to some of the requests and figured out the chord progression and have not heard a reply.I guess I have lost some interest in trying to help also.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

I attempt to search for nearly every request posted on the song request forum. Although it is nice to receive a word of thanks when I am successful, it is not at all necessary. Generally, chordians are appreciative of my efforts and those of others. Since I am absent the musical talents held by other moderators here, I feel like the song request forum is a place that I can assist most.

I find and post a lot of links and sometimes pdf's that are forwarded via email due to the no posting of lyrics rule. Generally, chordians are appreciative of my efforts and several owe me a beer when we meet big_smile . I'm pretty handy with on-line research and honestly feel that if I can't find, it ain't out there. Many times the requests are just for very obscure songs that haven't been tabbed and posted on the net. Just because there may not be a response to a request doesn't mean that that folks haven't tried.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

micky the mooch wrote:

just as i would post the good points of chordie, of which their are many,ave notice one which is lacking, or should that be the lacking on the members part? and that is "Song Requests" .many requests are left unanswered.
its just a passing thought, what do the members think? could "we" the members improve this part of the site?
opinions plzzzzz

You'd get a better response if you'd list where you searched to find your desired song. We all have our own secret fishin'spots that we dip our 'learning rods' into, figuratively speaking of course. Narrow the search process, let it be known where you've looked, and we'll have a foundation on which we can start to help you seek your specific song.............

Peace and Guitars and Googlies and other searchie enginies,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hey , I agree Top but I think what Russ and I are saying is,maybe a response that they have come back and found the info they requested.I don't need a pat on the back but it would be nice to know if the person requesting the info has checked back to his or her post.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

topdown wrote:

Just because there may not be a response to a request doesn't mean that that folks haven't tried.

You said it all in this 1 sentence topdown

Some interesting thoughts on this maybe we all could narrow it down to a list of things we each try out in order to locate the answer to these requests, I usually type in the google search bar just an abreviated form like song name + lyrics+ artist for the just the lyrics, and song+ song name+chords or tabs for just the chords and I usually have good results anyone else have some shortcuts to share? smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks for the replies Lads  all have valid answers in one form or other,I hope it wasnt taken as a dig in anyway because it wasnt,just a point open for discussion.
Now members who go on to read posts without answering any will have a idea into the effort of others behind the scene.
As for the point made by a few of a thanks response, i agree and with that point in mind i remember being a member of a group that had a "thanks" button on its forum. which left a simple thanks, which if am correct also had a thumbs up counter next to their name?.

thanks for all your replies they make interesting reading!

Regards, Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I'v made a couple of requests and they have all been answered.  Most notably when I asked for "Swamp Witch" by Jim Stafford.  The answer was very gratefully received and appreciated.  I apologize for not doing thanks until now!  <sad>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

have made a few requests myself ... some got answered and some never ( not only on song requests ) ... when I never got a reply I always take it that it may be a hard one etc as people on here are usually more than willing to help .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I usually will search out a song here first and if I can't find it here.  Then I'll google it and see what pops up.   Though be careful, one site had a version (I can't remember what the name was) of "darkness, darkness" by the Youngbloods that when I played it made no sense at all.  (this was before I discovered chordie)  Fortunately, my teacher has quite a library of tunes on his computer and we hashed out the appropriate chords together.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg