Topic: Pick or not to Pick

I'm pretty newish to the guitar and I find it hard to play with a pick, I feel that no matter what pick I use I cant get to grips with it, It feels like i'm battering the strings and dropping the pick....please help!!!!!

"king of the World"

Re: Pick or not to Pick

Lot's of practice.  I gravitated to no pick after many years and I like it better.  It's just a matter of getting used to a certain style.  There is nothing that says you have to use a pick to be better.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks! I just think that it sounds more crisp with the pick and easier for up-stroke, but I dont plan on being a rock star, just wanna be able to play round the camp fire so to speak

"king of the World"

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum. I remember well the very issue your faced with. I'll give you some advice ,,DON'T STOP USING A PIC,,,, sorry didn't mean to yell...:lol: If your just messing around and want to play something to be playing it, It's ok to not use a pic however you should continue to use a pic as often as possible. It will be no time until those smooth silky sounds will be rolling out of your ax. Hope this helps and good luck. If you've any questions just ask on this forum, Folks here on Chordie are always willing to help.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Cheers! most helpfull,,,,,,I'll persevere and before you know it i'll still be crap haha, this site and you tube have helped me loads, and I always reccomend friends to this site

"king of the World"

I agree with Fatstrings don't give up on a pick. Try using the a thin pick .5mm. And you can also buy picks with rougher surfaces like Dunlop Gator Grips...I play both with or without but down the road at some point you're going to want to use a pick.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Just goes to show you Steve, there are many good opinions out there.  It still boils down to what you are more comfortable with.  Like I said, lots of practice will get you where you want to be.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I kept dropping the pick all the time, then my nephew turned me on to Dunlap gator grip. I use the .60. It worked for me.

Thanks for all you advice, gonna get meself a dunlop gator grip......"Happy New Year"

"king of the World"

Steve I resisted for a long time, but a pick has helped me hit individual notes and a thumbpick also takes a while to get used to.  Try BRAIN picks.  They have a velcro sort of sticky feel like a cat's tongue....yes I've grabbed a cat's tongue and I know you have too.  They're color coded....start with purple(060) or red(073).

Just to laff, I superglued my thumbpick on the first time I played in public.  Now there's a solution that might not be good for the long haul!