Topic: Set up of my New Guitar

Ok, I just called home to see that the house was ok, and I thought I should ask this
Question while I'm here.
I got a New Guitar, A Tanglewood Strat Design for Christmas, bought for me by my daughters
Now it was a starter pack, I was wondering if the guitar will have been set up fully, or whould  I have to gat it set up and has anyone any idea of the Cost In the UK.

Luck and Health to all!!!

Re: Set up of my New Guitar

If you're new to the guitar world, I would suggest bringing it into a guitar shop and have them set it up for you ... it's hard to do it yourself if you've never played before ... they should set it up for free for you (this ensures you will come back and shop from them) ... if they charge you, I would look for another place only if it's too much $$$

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Set up of my New Guitar

Congrats on the new guitar and for raising such sensible wise children! lucky chap. I would ask the girls if they got it from a music store/shop even over the internet its highly likely a music based internet shop would open the kit box up and inspect/set up the guitar prior to sending it out, more likely should the girls have brought it directly from a high street music shop. In the event they got it from a catalouge shop ie A*G*S or Tinywoods (UK readers will know who I mean) then its a case of goods into the warehouse, goods out to the store, i dont want to cause offence but thats the nature of thier business and thats why the prices are cheaper. the thing to do is to get it out the box connect it up, tune it and strum a bit. hows your index finger feel holding down the first and second string on the first fret up by the nut? is it no effort just a gentle sqeeze? good. if it feels like your index finger is running over a cheese grater; not good! now let your index finger recover. Lay the guitar on a table with a good clothe or towel under it (no point in upsetting the misses by scratching the best french polished dining table!) Strike a string low e is a good starter whilst its still ringing bring your finger to just kiss the string above the 12 fret, not pressed down hard just the minimum amount of skin contact. does it go up an octave? if it goes up an octave on every string at or nearly  at the 12th fret and your not playing a cheese grater then its looking good that it was set up at the shop
now try freting each string from the 1st to the 13th fret and plucking each string gently at each fret position, Any buzz? No? you got a good one. enjoy
a few buzzes, well play it for a week or so until shopping UK gets back to normal (which also gives the guitar wood a chance to aclimatise to your centrally heated house after being in cold unheated warehouses and container ships for the last 6 months.) this is not the place to explain the finer points of neck adjustment. If any of the bad bits mentioned above still persist and you are still unsure what to do and set up information is available on the web (but you can do more harm than good very quickly!!),  then take it to your local musical instrument shop for an opinion, they may offer to do it for free if its a minor adjustment, especially if your there to buy a set of strings as 'spares'. Come on at £7. 00 approx its not a bad investment for thier advice and you will need them sooner or later! I set up my first electric (catalouge brought awful set up) guitar 2 years ago thanks to a chap based in USA over the internet called patrick coleman who was fantastic in my 'hour of need' so i owe a debt. should you need any more advice/help dont hesitate to e-mail me.
happy playing,
ken

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill know to man.
Landing is the 1st.