Topic: Disappointment

Should I be disappointed? Three days ago I bothered to enrol and made my first post here:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10402

Now, as there has been no response, were the questions either too trite for anyone to bother with, or too difficult and there is consequently an embarrassing silence? At the very least, after three days, is it too much to expect at least a reciprocal greeting?

Am I expecting too much from what I thought was going to be an interesting forum where one can contribute?

Cheers.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

Re: Disappointment

Hi MateLot,

Please forgive our manners, and let me be the first to say "welcome to Chordie" I guess in our sometimes to busy live's we overlook things, by accident, so please give us all another chance. Everyone here is actually very helpful, you will find varying degrees of knowledgeable people, who I'm sure can and will answer your questions. I myself am not quiet qualiflyed to do so, so I'll leave that to the others. Everyone here is very friendly and I'm sure will offer you their expertise. So again welcome to chordie and I hope you enjoy!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hello Matelot - I just left a response to part of your questions on your original message.

Welcome to chordie!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Welcome to Chordie. 

Sorry, I saw the topic title and didn't respond because I don't particularly care for that song and assumed that you were asking for the chords or the strum pattern (which you were) and I wouldn't be able to answer it. 

As a general issue, I don't much care for the "real" patterns.  I play everything my own way, trying to work in some familiar elements but not overly worried about it.  That said, it wouldn't bother me a lick if you did "Wind Beneath the My Wings" as a heavy metal song complete with cannons and trash can lids.  So, I'm not really a good person to ask for patterns.  Just experiment and do what sounds good TO YOU and forget about how Bette Midler did it.  Especially considering that that is a heavily orchestrated song with a lot of production work done to it, it's going to be next to impossible for you to make a single acoustic guitar sound the same. 

As far as your questions on the chords, something isn't ringing right but I don't know precisely what it is.  I suggest perusing through the Music Theory forum.  You won't see many posts from me there, but I sure do like to read the material presented there.  We are blessed with some knowledgeable people willing to share, and able to share in a way that's understandable. 

As far as what to expect, I think lack of response to a single post is a poor indicator one way or the other.  Stick with us, keep reading and keep asking. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by matelot 2009-01-07 17:23:44)

Thank you for those kind words, Cam - and all! I do wonder sometimes if it's me being a little impatient. I get a fire in my belly when I take up a new challenge, and this new gee-tar has got me rockin'!

Cheers. cool

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

Well your welcome Matelot, and that fire just shows passion, a very important ingredient to playing or just living, enjoy!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Matelot welcome to Chordie I must have missed your post but regarding your question below

Clarification - generally a chord is made up of the root, 3rd and 5th notes of that particular scale e.g. key C is C, E and G. The usual chord progression in e.g. key C are chords built on the root C (I), F (IV) and G (V), so that F will be FAC, and G will be GBD. Have I got that correct?

No if your speaking of a progressing in the key of F  eg. 1 4 5 the chords would be F Bb C not F A C and in the key of G it is G C D not G B D smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

... No if your speaking of a progressing in the key of F  eg. 1 4 5 the chords would be F Bb C not F A C and in the key of G it is G C D not G B D smile

Hi. You've got me confused now. tongue

A Cmaj 'chord' based on 1st 3rd and 5th notes would be C, E and G? That's the chord itself.

The chord 'progression' in the KEY of C would be - based on I, IV and V of the C scale - the 'chords' C, F and G?

C chord as above CEG
F chord FAC
G chord GBD.

In the KEY of F you mentioned, the chord 'progression' is F chord, Bb chord, C chord, but the F chord itself is FAC, Bb=BbDF, and C=CEG.

If it's not that then I'm lost!

Cheers

Progressions and chord construction are like apples and oranges they are two differen't questions with two differen't answers the 1 4 5 PROGRESSION in F major is F Bb C the 1 4 5 PROGRESSION in the key of G is G C D the F major CHORD is F A C (135) the G MAJOR chord is G B D(135) a major chord in any key is always the 1st 3rd and 5th steps or intervals of that key, dont confuse a major chord construction with a Progression a progression is a group of CHORDS a chords construction is a group of NOTES smile

Many thanks, Russell. That's how I understood it, but was seeking clarification. Onwards and upwards!  big_smile

C'est pas mal cool smile

ok Hi matelot and welcome to chordie.

I saw yer original first post when you posted it 1 minutes after ye posted it but see after I saw ye played that big brass thing I thought I am not replying to him lol

yes, I am joking. But I did see yer post a few hours after ye posted but I dont think i could answer so i never. lol some of us do that.
I read a lot of posts here and I dont leave a reply to most. If I did I would probably be going through the divorce courts just now on the grounds of my wife and kids not getting on the computer. lol
If I said welcome to chordie to every new comer I would not have time to do much else as we keep getting more and more,
but yer right a simple hello and welcome is not hard to do.....just call me lazy and cheeky with no manners and idle and lovely

Hope you enjoy your life here in chordie, there is no going back now

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

13 (edited by matelot 2009-01-08 17:57:40)

Up yer jock strap. It's all a load of Ballochs, anyway! Last time I went to Scotland, it was closed. lol

Hoping we're going to have an open mic. Burns' Night here. I'll have one for you (Jocks and Yorkshiremen should stick together - we have a common foe. lol)

Cheers for the welcome.

please refer from the term "jocks" when speaking about scotsmen when i am about.
This is a racis term. A name made up yet again by the english since they have derogoratory names for everyone in the world it seems.
I do not like the term Jocks and neither do most of the people I know.

thank you.

All the best

Enjoy yer rabbie burns night. I am heading up further north of scotland where it is very rarely open and I will recite ( very badl) a poem or two as well as singing " the braes of Killiecrankie" and "my love is lie a red red rose"

Ken

Jings!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

upyerkilt wrote:

please refer from the term "jocks" when speaking about scotsmen when i am about.
This is a racis term. A name made up yet again by the english since they have derogoratory names for everyone in the world it seems.
I do not like the term Jocks and neither do most of the people I know.

thank you.

All the best

Enjoy yer rabbie burns night. I am heading up further north of scotland where it is very rarely open and I will recite ( very badl) a poem or two as well as singing " the braes of Killiecrankie" and "my love is lie a red red rose"

Ken

'Jock' seems to have been made up some time after the 16th Century by the Scottish as another name for Jack. So not made up by the English. Of course, the Scottish never refer to Paddies, Micks, Taffies or 'Sassenachs'.

If you want to take it pejoratively rather than in the clear spirit in which it was meant, that's up to you. I don't walk on eggshells or do PC.

Google 'Jock', and see how many north of the border have no hesitation whatsoever in describing themselves as Jocks. Yes, it can be used pejoratively. And not.

I'm sure we'd sort it out over a can of Irn Bru. All the best to you, too.

In this neck of the woods 'jock' has an altogether different meaning.  We use it as a way of referring to athletes.

When an American says, "He is just a big dumb jock", it means that the guy is large and not very bright.  The 'dumb jock' is one of those archetypes - sort of the opposite of 'nerdy geek'.  The terminology comes from 'jockstrap', the supportive undergarment worn by males athletes.

I did not know the term had a negative ethnic connotation over there . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Get your life jackets on folks!

Looks as if we have another boat rocker.

YeeHaw.............

Give everything but up.

James McCormick wrote:

...I did not know the term had a negative ethnic connotation over there . . .

It's like so many other things - it depends on the sensibilities of who you speak to and how they receive it.

mate,
I never refer to the irish or welsh as taffies or paddies, this is mostly the english that do this. I am not saying that maybe some scots do call them the names that the londoners gave them
And sassanach is gaelic for lowlander, not just english, it also refers to the southern  scotland dwellers.
And maybe a few scots do see themselves as jocks ( which is another name for Ian) but this is because of the way they are talked about from thos south of the border. I know more people that hate the term than i do that accept it. It was the english that decided to give this name to us.Because Jock is a scottish name and it rhymes with sock they think it is funny to call us jocks or sweaty socks.
I am not getting into an argument here over this. I have asked you nicely not to refer scottish people as Jocks as I and most people I know do not like it. I will leave it at that,

I definetly do not do PC either but I will not have me or my fellow countrymen called this in chordie, nor would I let anyone call anyone other names if folk did not like it.
This has nothing to do with being PC.

thank you
now wheres the cans of Irn Bru? lol

hmm na forget them I have still got 6 good bottles of single malt left over from Christmas.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

YeeHaw.............

You make it sound as if this place needs a good shaking up. wink

no we have had our fill of shakeups thank you smile

matelot wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

YeeHaw.............

You make it sound as if this place needs a good shaking up. wink

We do not.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

OK, so you asked some questions and we didn't drop our lives fast enough to tend to your needs to suit you.

Then you used some terms, innocently it seemed, that were taken by someone as an insult.  He asked politely that you not use that term with him, at which point you said you don't do PC.  Well you weren't being asked to be PC, you were being asked to be courteous.

Then you post what appeared to be a threat to shake things up, which we are quite happy to do without.  No one elected me spokesperson, but I suspect that I speak for more than myself in that matter.

If you want to play the martyr, fine.  I won't miss you.  But if you want to talk about music without the need to threaten or insult or expect everyone to tend special to your needs, then you are welcome to stay.  Your call as to whether you choose to be civil or be gone.

- Zurf

Straw Man.