Topic: RAP

Can rap songs be considered as poetry?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: RAP

NO. Poetry is written in the main by more or less ''normal'' people [this also depends on your definition of normal]. RAP is espoused by dyslexic midgets who all seem to shop in the extra giant size clothing stores and whose arms and fingers seem to be operated by remote control.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Yes, Rap is poetry in my opinion. I'm not a fan but it can in some instances be clever. It rhymes and flows; I'm no expert but I think that's poetry. It's unfair to exclude it because the majority of us think it's awful. There are lots a genres of music I don't care for but it is what it is.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

4 (edited by Phill Williams 2009-01-02 12:00:43)

rap is one letter short of the truth...that letter being C...

personally i dont like it, my brother on the other hand [he's 10 years younger than me] thinks it is poetry he calls eminem??? a modern shakespeare...give me strength! but as all art forms have their own niche, who are we to say it's not poetry?
i do beg to differ though...repeating the same word at the end each line is not rhyming.

some of these guys actually have nice voices, so instead of screaming obscenities, swearing and making countless and mindless sexual references, why dont they find a nice melody line and give that some welly?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

After some "detective work" the conclusion is that the rappers think it is poetry and the non rappers say or add that little c.
MY OPINION: except from all the f, mf, police etcetera, they use this form of music, lyrics included to criticize, the "official establishment", like politics and "the law".
What happened in the 60ties? YES also PROTEST "POETRY" against the same people, so nothing has changed since 40 years.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It must be poetry! It sure as rip aint music! JMO

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

The image of rappers and what there saying in there words is abuse,violence,drugs,profanity taken another level is enough for me to form an opinion,I dont like anything about rap music, as to it being poetry it clearly is, it rhymes and has meter and thats where it stops. In the history of music from 1955 to present each succeeding generation has defined there youth and music has reflected there attitudes and lifestyles Whats next?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

8 (edited by selso 2009-01-14 17:45:17)

rap is poetry. the common beilf that its all f... this and f... that is untrue. bands like the roots dont get enough attention .  my beef with rap is the use of electronics to soley make a song. theres alot of good rap out there but there is more crap that gives it a bad name. remember people hated elvis when he came out, but look what happend. we fear things we dont understand

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

rap is poetry. the common beilf that its all f... this and f... that is untrue. bands like the roots dont get enough attention .  my beef with rap is the use of electronics to soley make a song. theres alot of good rap out there but there is more crap that gives it a bad name. remember people hated elvis when he came out, but look what happend. we fear things we dont understand

We also dislike what we dislike!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

true, but thats neither here nor there. rap is an expression of what some people hold true in there life, so i dont think it can be automaticlly discounted

Reverend Horton Heat

Rap is poetry.  It's an often grim and disturbing verbal painting of the environment in which the artist comes from.

Sturgeon's Law applies to rap, much like everything else.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

well put jerome. im glad to see you have your own music theory forum. i think its about time

Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

true, but thats neither here nor there. rap is an expression of what some people hold true in there life, so i dont think it can be automaticlly discounted

Nor does it have to be automatically accepted. Not to argue with you though selso. The original question was can rap be considered poetry and the answer seems to be yes.Have a good day.

you too. it doesnt have to be accepted or respected, but i think being understood for what it is is important

Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

well put jerome. im glad to see you have your own music theory forum. i think its about time

Well thanks!  Feel free to drop by and theorize. big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'll defintenlly stop by to learn from you. please keep it up

Reverend Horton Heat

I think there is some good rap ... some very clever stuff ... and a lot of clones that jump on the market bandwagon ... quite a bit like any kind of music ... once someone finds a sound then its exploited by people - then it gets boring . But to dismiss it all as rubbish would be wrong . Got to agree with one of the ealier posters whose young son likes emenim .. I actually think the guy is really good and though dont usually like swearing in songs just for the sake of it , he seems to use the  words that convey his songs well ... and I am a 55 year old ...

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.