Topic: Teaching a 9-year old guitar

I'm starting to teach my brother guitar, and I'm just wondering what the best way to do this is without causing him to lost interest.  He used to play a little bit, so he can manipulate his fingers better than the average begginer can, but he hasn't played in a year or so.  I'm starting out by reviewing some open chords, and I'm having him practice fingering and switching between them on his own.  If anyone has any tips on how to keep his interest in this, I'd appreciate it a lot.  He definitely has an interest, but the hard part (as with anyone) is the practicing.  Thanks!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Teaching a 9-year old guitar

I don't know.  My daughter is seven and I just let her bang on it and wail out some lyric or another.  I keep seeing if she's interested in learning some cheater chords for G,C, and D and to be able to bang out some real songs, but she's not yet.  So I don't push it.  The girl next door got a keyboard for Christmas and can play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star from memory already, so that's motivating my daughter some.  So far as I can tell, that's all you can do.  Wait until they have motivation and then fuel the fire.  People have their own lives to live and that needs to be respected, even the lives of seven and nine year olds.   

Good luck.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

One of my students is 9 his name is Lucas his father and I have known each other for over 15 years he asked me to teach his son and he has been my student for about 6 months he loves rock and roll and when I show him some cool bar chords (with effects) he really works hard at home and at his lessons but I wanted to give him a rounded education so I started teaching him to read notes and I can tell you he hates it, his last lesson I had him read a simple lesson he looked disinterested and tried to memorize it I kept telling him to look at the music sheet and he would glance at it and go back to trying to play it without looking, after his lesson I got a call from his father it seems young Lucas cried on the way home and would not tell his father why he was crying so I got a call from his father and told him the best way is to keep teaching him  what he likes and sneak in some theory when I can and if that's the only way he's going be happy and look forward to his lesson then that's the way it will be, he is a good player for the time he has been taking lesson I video taped his lessons for his family and they were really happy, he plays a fender strat and can play the evil B like nothing and bar F and G chords clean so he must be learning something, the hard part is keeping a young persons attention so do whatever it takes eventually they will learn smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

When I was first learning I remember just wanting to play a song. Not scales, not notes, just a song.  I remember getting sick of twinkle twinkle or three blind mice. I would say ask the student for a few songs that they would like to play. You pick the easiest one and start there. after learning a simple solo, show him the theroy of that solo and show how it applies to another song then work on that one.

Thanks everyone.  I think that once he gets those basic open chords down, I'll start showing him some actual songs, then try to explain what chords, scales, etc that song uses.

Switchfoot

The Most Skipped Step Is The Basic Teaching The Name Of The Strings,And Notes Of Each String Per Fret.
Eddie Ate Dynomite,Good By eddie.So From Top To Bottom We Have Eadgbe,then learn each string all the way up to the 12 fret.
Notes Of A Guitar R         E A D G B e   Top To Bottom.
(Eddie Ate Dynomite Good Bye eDDIE)
knowing E shaped bar chords and A shaped barchords.

I would like to teach my 7 year old grandson guitar. He is interested in it but his fingers appear to be too weak to hold strings down hard enough and his arms are a bit too short to reach the first fret.
I would like to show him something he can build on.
Any suggestions?

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Tuba they make a jr size electric and you can set the hight of the strings so it will be easier to press the strings down and the neck is much shorter so he shouldn't have any trouble reaching the first fret smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I would like to teach my 7 year old grandson guitar. He is interested in it but his fingers appear to be too weak to hold strings down hard enough and his arms are a bit too short to reach the first fret.
I would like to show him something he can build on.
Any suggestions?

Hi tubatooter1940,
  I started my 3yr old out on a tenor Ukulele. This might be an option for you and your grandson. Here's a good reference site for said instrument.

http://www.ukulele.nl/

Good luck,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

A good quality 1/2 to 3/4 size guitar, depending on the size of the student, will be easier to play than a full sized adult guitar. Also, nylon strings will be easier on tinder young fingers to learn the basic's on. Keep the lessons fun rather than as work. Always end the daily lesson on a positive note. My grandson, who will be 3 in Febuary has to have his guitar and will set with me and play along with me as I play. His style is to just hold the guitar and just srum away. He really thinks he has done something when we brag about his pertty music. He has already been on stage with me and his Memaw at one of our Friday night get to gathers and will sing along to I'll Fly Away. Always make it fun for the children and they will stick with the music.

Nela

rob6045 wrote:

The Most Skipped Step Is The Basic Teaching The Name Of The Strings,And Notes Of Each String Per Fret.
Eddie Ate Dynomite,Good By eddie.So From Top To Bottom We Have Eadgbe,then learn each string all the way up to the 12 fret.
Notes Of A Guitar R         E A D G B e   Top To Bottom.
(Eddie Ate Dynomite Good Bye eDDIE)
knowing E shaped bar chords and A shaped barchords.

Yup I'm starting to get him used to naming different notes.  I'm trying to get him used to connecting the music theory he learned when he took piano lessons to guitar.

Switchfoot

Maturity plays a big part in this, but I have always found that when kids discover how to figure songs out on their own, the fun factor goes up exponentially. As soon as I can get them playing some basic open chords, I pull out an extremely simplified version of the circle of fifths, and explain that most of the songs they hear on the radio are the I, IV, and V chords of a particular key, and that by listening to the song a few times, they can teach themselves how to play it (in any key). Once they have this down, they not only get very excited (because they can play half the songs they know), but they also start asking questions when they run into something different.

If they're too young to understand that, just let them bang away!

Also, NELA makes a good point: Instrument size is extremely important, and depending on the student, generally, I recommend nylon strings for anyone younger than 8.

Mike Weeks
[url=http://www.yourfirstguitar.com]www.yourfirstguitar.com[/url]

i am a tutor and am teaching a student aged 9 and the way i keep him interested in it is doing a quiz about the different strings and chords it is another way of them learning but in a fun way

I'm with NELA... my 5 year old has her own guitar... it's a TINY little guitar (I am going to HAVE to post pics)!  It actually has steel strings on it and I have considered switching her to nylon, but frankly she isn't interested in learning how to fret any chords.  She just bangs away on it and "pretends" to fret it because she sees me doing it.  She makes up her own songs to go along with the horrid sounds that come out of that thing, but she's having fun.  I'm not about to stop her or insist that she try to play it "right".  My son is 14 and has had an acoustic for a good 5 years or so now.  He finally got interested and attempted to learn something when he saw me pick up a guitar and actually play.  He now has an electric that I bought him for Christmas and is working on learning.  I can play chords and switch between them fairly well and strum out a pattern.  He on the other hand is like "all teenagers" and wants to play lead.  He's learning his notes up and down the neck and can pick out some leads.  I try to work with him on the circle of fifths and strumming patterns, he tries to show me different notes on the neck.  Find out what they like and encourage whatever that is.  Keep it fun and wait until they are ready.  My dad tried for many years to get me to play... I wasn't ready until I was 33!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Quote MeK, "I wasn't ready until I was 33!"  What???  You don't look a day over 25. wink

I would like to add that it's very important to make sure his guitar is set up correctly.  A proper setup changed my guitar to make it much easier to play and it sounds much better.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.