Topic: is it eaiser to play electric or acoustic

I ve been playing about 5 years on acoustic I ve learned lots of songs  but my sound never improves. dead strings, trouble with bar chords, trouble holding a pick etc. I'm losing intrest  I am wondering if buying an electric will help or if iAm just hopeless

Re: is it eaiser to play electric or acoustic

Has anyone ever checked your set up on your guitar? It may be part of your problem.
I don't believe I will ever be much better than I am now but I sure enjoy trying.All of us can't be great  but keep on trying.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Maybe try looking into lessons to see whats a miss?

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

I'd say that electric is easier. Easier to fret the strings and therefore easier to barre. But I'd definitely get your acoustic set-up checked out. A good set-up can make a world of a difference. I've said many times on chordie that I am horrified at the condition of the guitars that many stores sell. Poorly set up, not cleaned, wildly out of tune. A good store will have all their guitars well set up and well displayed. Large stores are the worst for this; they're not interested until you're spending a 4 figure sum. Lessons is always a good idea.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I seem to have a lot of trouble with bar chords. Even the simplest ones like F. Taking lessons and very slowly getting there. Any hints/advise to speed me along. My fingers always seem to bar at the joints/creases where the string snubs out.
Also, would a metronom help me keep a beat. I suspect practice, practice and more practice is the most likely answer to all above question. Any advise is appreciated.
Newplucker.

newplucker wrote:

I seem to have a lot of trouble with bar chords. Even the simplest ones like F. Taking lessons and very slowly getting there. Any hints/advise to speed me along. My fingers always seem to bar at the joints/creases where the string snubs out.
Also, would a metronom help me keep a beat. I suspect practice, practice and more practice is the most likely answer to all above question. Any advise is appreciated.
Newplucker.

Got it in one, practice.  I have been playing a couple of years now and can remember all the small milestones! ( BASIC CHORDS, BARRE CHORDS, PICKING.) it all comes eventually, just practice as often as you possibly can, even if you just have the guitar and without making any sounds just keep going over the chord shapes.
Good luck

Vintage 12 string, Brunswick Acoustic, (Gordon Giltrap owned) Art and Lutherie, Lag J100,Vintage SG, Paul McCartney bass copy.

Even a properly set up acoustic is harder to play than an electric. The string tension on an acoustic is higher than on an electric making it harder to fret notes or barre. For your barre chords try rolling your barre finger to the left a little to get on the bony part of your finger(if your playing right handed) With that said, I would never give up playing my acoustic. Trying to find the right effect or tone can be maddening when all you want to do is kick out the jams. An acoustic can go from fingerpicking James Taylor to windmilling Pete Townsend power chords in the very next song with no change. Get your set up checked by a pro, but dont be afraid to go electric like Dylan did. Look where it got him!

I started out with an acoustic 3 years ago at the ripe old age of 42.  Started lessons immediately.  After a year or so I decided to buy an Electric.  My playing improved greatly after that.  An Electric is much easier to play, lighter strings, lower action and much easier to play barre chords, solos etc.  But definitely get your action checked on your acoustic, that might be part of your problem.  Just be careful not to get it lowered to low or you'll get a buzz.  You might also want to try changing your type of strings.  I use Elixir Nanoweb or Polyweb Lights.  They're a bit more expensive but last much longer.  That made it easier to play my acoustic too.  And the very last thing, practise, practise, practise.  smile  As everyone has said.  All of a sudden something you couldn't play very well before will start sounding better and be easier to play.  I also find playing along to a recording helps with my timing.  Cheers!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

What brand of acoustic do you play? cheap, in-between or expensive?
Alvee33, I can't imagine that the great stores sell, even very expensive guitars in a bad "to play" condition.
If you buy a 4 figure guitar, let's say a Gibson Standard Les Paul, for 2500$, why is that guitar not in a very good set-up condition?
What you wrote reminds me that during my many USA trips, it happened a lot that once you paid a fee, they want you out of that restaurant as fast as possible. I experienced it 2 times in an "all you can eat" restaurant. This story is similar to the story you wrote alvin33, once paid, they almost push you to pay immediately. WHAT ABOUT the warranty?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

hrd3kids

I would say electric is definitely easier to play ... IMO, playing acoustic is great but can only take you so far ... an electric guitar opens up a whole new realm of playing as well ... I had the hardest time learning to work barre chords on an acoustic ... then one day I started trying them on my electric and it was easier ... I was able to get the form down and apply it to the acoustic and it helped greatly

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I think you should stick with acoustic (just my opinion).  You need to play "some" every day or every other day until you get comfortable.  If you do, and the strings are getting old you'll find the old strings not as supple or elastic.  Elixer nano (custom light) will make moving your positions easy compared to say Martin strings which I find are a bit "sticky". 
hrd3kids I hope you've bought a decent guitar, because no sense investing 5 yrs in a crap guitar.  Lastly take a few lessons.  You don't have to keep taking lessons, but you'll get a pro to tell you a few things you're doing wrong.  Don't stop playing.  It's just going to take time.  Hope this helps.

Check how its set up, but on a good electric, you can sound good when you don't know much!

Nothing is more expressive than a good acoustic guitar. Nothing.  Playing an electric guitar is easy.  Adding effects to an electric guitar to make you sound better is really easy if you've got the funds.   I play electric guitars on stage because they are easy to play and easy to amplify in any number of ways.  For practice, I always play acoustics.   The string gages are thicker and harder to play.  The sound is better.  I have to work harder.  Accuracy becomes critical when there isn't any distortion/wah/chorus/delay/compression to get in the way.  When it comes time to plug in for money... The electric guitar is easy and also the best option.  You're still going to need an amplified acoustic guitar though.  So if you want to play .008 strings on a shred machine.  Consider learning those all important chord changes on an acoustic strung with .012's before you load up the tour bus.

Now available in 5G !

I think a law should be passed that says that no one is allowed to pick up an electric guitar until they've done AT LEAST a year learning on an acoustic.  And, furthermore ALL electric guitar players, regardless of style (including you shredders...you know who you are!) must be made to play an acoustic guitar at least once a month.
Even better, once a year, on a national holiday perhaps, all guitarists must play nothing but twelve string acoustics..blindfolded..on stilts.

Playing an acoustic guitar hurts your fingers and hands and, when you're learning, can leave you feeling inadequate, especially when you watch the four-hundred mile an hour shredders doing their thing and your still struggling to hit an F chord (ah, the F!).  You'll hit a stage where you're not getting any better.  Just keep practicing and you WILL improve.  It just takes time and finger ends of steel.  Then, when you've finally got it, get an electric and a HUGE amp and play away, knowing that you've learned to play the right way.

ApeDoctor wrote:

Maybe try looking into lessons to see whats a miss?

Lessons are always good!
I'd say, go to a store try out a few eletrics and see how they feel, but definitely try the lessons. big_smile

shaunm wrote:

I think a law should be passed that says that no one is allowed to pick up an electric guitar until they've done AT LEAST a year learning on an acoustic.  And, furthermore ALL electric guitar players, regardless of style (including you shredders...you know who you are!) must be made to play an acoustic guitar at least once a month.
Even better, once a year, on a national holiday perhaps, all guitarists must play nothing but twelve string acoustics..blindfolded..on stilts.

Playing an acoustic guitar hurts your fingers and hands and, when you're learning, can leave you feeling inadequate, especially when you watch the four-hundred mile an hour shredders doing their thing and your still struggling to hit an F chord (ah, the F!).  You'll hit a stage where you're not getting any better.  Just keep practicing and you WILL improve.  It just takes time and finger ends of steel.  Then, when you've finally got it, get an electric and a HUGE amp and play away, knowing that you've learned to play the right way.

I couldn't agree more shaunm.  That's what I did. 

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

it would be good to buy an electric, it would really help.

jessel wrote:

it would be good to buy an electric, it would really help.

Jessel,

To answer your question it is easer to play an electric guitar because of the smoother action and lighter gauge strings. As Alvee mentioned stick with your acoustic and learn to play on that. With an electric and a bunch of stomp boxes you can haide any playing flaws you may have, you can't hide them with an acoustic.  When I go to check out guitars in a music store I refuse to play an electric, you will always find me playing acoustics for that reason. Every guitar god is plaing scales fast and loud with out any soul. If you can stop them with your acoustic playing when it comes to picking up and plugging in a electric they know you can play.

For what it's worth.

Bootlegger.

newplucker wrote:

I seem to have a lot of trouble with bar chords. My fingers always seem to bar at the joints/creases where the string snubs out.

Newplucker.

Hey man, I have the same problem on any guitar no matter what I try.
it's like my fingers are just long enough to fall into the wrong place and my G-String is always muted.
I thought about putting tape over my index finger but then I wouldn't be able to play individual notes/scales cause I couldn't bend my finger.
it's like I can't gain enough weight to get my fingers fat enough to get over this problem. all i'm getting is a frickin gut instead of my fingers gaining weight.
<ARGH>

I think that I will either have to get some kind of implant or something to fix my stupid finger.
Maybe if I got taller frets on my guitars it would solve the problem...I dunno...

All I do know is that this sucks.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

shaunm wrote:

now i bought an electric guitar after playng acoustic for 2 months and i think that anyone should be able to play anything after playing any length of time.

i think folk is easyist to play cos you barely have to press the strings

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar