Topic: Well, I guess we Yanks have a new President.

What I like about inauguration day isn't all the pomp and circumstance.  It's the lack of gunfire.  An orderly transition of power and authority from one individual to another.  Even sometimes people who don't like each other very much.  In the history of the world, that is an unusual event.  Some few countries have it regularly.  Then again, many countries do not.  Then there are countries which have, for all intents and purposes, no government whatsoever.  Somalia comes to mind.  So, there's that.  Don't think I'm not grateful for this level of order and calm. 

My neighbor campaigned hard for then Senator Obama.  I intend to invite she and her husband over for a cocktail this evening.  They can toast now President Obama, and while I don't have strong feelings one way or the other for President Obama, I will be happy to drink a toast to President Bush becoming FORMER President Bush. 

What is an appropriate song for a day like this I wonder?  Perhaps Age by Jim Croce, "Now I'm in my second circle and I'm heading for the top.  I've learned a lot of things along the way.  I'll be careful while I'm climbing because it hurts a lot to drop.  And when you're down, nobody gives a d*** anyway."  (hope that's not violating the Chordie rule of too many lyrics - proper credit is given)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Well, I guess we Yanks have a new President.

Zurf

My first thought was President Bush must have been saying to myself, "Thank God this over with ... now I don't have to worry about what I screwed up ... it's all on President Obama to fix!"

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I didn't vote for Obama, but I do wish him well.  I think he has his heart in the right place and will do well.  I will back him proudly.  He has a lot of ups and downs ahead of him.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Zurf

My first thought was President Bush must have been saying to myself, "Thank God this over with ... now I don't have to worry about what I screwed up ... it's all on President Obama to fix!"

He did his best, and I think he did what he thought was right.  Time to let bygones be bygones. 

That said, I suspect that there is nothing on his calender for the next several days but to sleep.  The stress of that job has got to be inconceivable without having experienced it.  John Quincy Adams said, "The office is President is such that no one who has occupied it would congratulate a friend elected to it."  It has only gotten more difficult since that worthy occupied the office. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I watched him getting his position today, I also heard him make a sligh mistake when trying to repeat the words that the wee guy was telling him to say then listen to him talk for ages withouth hardly a hesitation for all those words he has probably spent months memorising.

I just cannot imagine all that hype for a british prime minister and thank goodness for that.
All those folk up that road and the vast majority would not even have catched a glimpse of him yet they felt the need to be there.
Some say they were there to witness history?????? witness history because he is the first black president? I know black folk have had it hard for years there and they think that Obama will change everything because of the postition he is in, loads voted for him because of his skin and not his politics.
I just think all this first black president thing has went a bit OTT. shouldnt make such a big deal about it. Making such a big deal about it just shows even more that there is a difference with colour even when there shouldnt be.
I dont think there has ever been a black PM here, maybe I should elect the first black politician for PM that comes along just as folk voted for maggie thatcher in 1979 just because she was a woman?

I dont know much about Obamas politics, not yet but I am sure the whole world will soon and I wish him all the luck in the world as America is the most powerful nation on earth and what happens there has an impact on the rest of the world, not just america.

But he does look quiet a liekable guy, maybe because of his youthful looks? or seen as a family man? or maybe his wife is nicer looking than any other first lady i have seen? Hilray was not bad one time though lol

aye so all the best to him

I still really hate all politicians though lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I enthusiastically supported Obama's candidacy and feel that the best candidate was elected to the office.  I am filled with optimism as President Obama has his opportunity to lead.

I have every confidence he will make rational decisions based upon objective information.  The task is not easy for anyone - - but I look forward to having a president who is an articulate intellectual.

I wrote and recorded a little song for the Inauguration today:
"City on the Hill"
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10571

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

7 (edited by Zurf 2009-01-20 21:13:18)

But James.  Washington is in a former magnolia bog.  big_smile

Nice song.  I like Anti-Gravity Waltz too.  I printed it down from the Songwriter forum but didn't know you had it on your You-tube site.  Nice.  I play it from time to time, but not as well for two reasons.  First, my instrument has only six strings.  Second, I can only sing with my voice. 

- Zurf

I remember the same kind of feeling when tony blair took over our lot after years of sleaze with the previous government and we all thought It would be better ... that lasted about 2 years ... and if anything got worse but in a different way .... we are now in a serious depression with the same government but different leader that we never voted for ... tony blair is ok though ... doing his around the world stuff ... but the rest of us are losing our homes and are in more wars than before with our young lads coming home in bodybags every week ... some of whom went to my sons school and were friends with him .... hope things change ... but as an old git now ... I dont think so .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I watched the proceedings and video taped almost all the segments my new TV is a digital flat screen and the images look great I'm going to edit what i have and put some music to it I especially liked the yo yo ma and itsalk pearlman performance I enjoyed the new presidents speech but it was a little long I imagine the former president was a little uncomfortable having to hear all the problems that occured during his terms in office from president Obama's speech I sure hope he lives up to the high ideals that got him elected (I voted for him) I think he will be a great president and I wish him and his family God speed smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

First I would like to say congrats to Mr Obama.He's in for a rough ride with what he has inherited.
Being a Canadian and in my mid-fifties I have heard a lot of politicians speak over time and they all have one thing in common....As good or poor of a public speakers they are, they always manage to come across as politicians.That is where Mr Obama differs.He doesn't come across as a politician.Whether he can fix or at least start to fix our problems is yet to be determined but I am glad he's in our corner and will back him 100%.
I was watching CNN at 4 AM EST and Washington had 10's of thousands already gathering in the streets.I believe they where there not only for the first African American president but also because the people are genuinely happy to see Mr Bush out of office(he is not at fault for the quagmire we are in, but he didn't do the right things to help) as he is a text book politician and the world doesn't need another text book politician.

I'm with you Ken as I distrust all politicians for the snakes they are,with the exception of Mr Obama. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I decided to take in the full day of events in before I commented. It makes no difference who I voted for or who anyone else selected on their electoral ballot. The fact is we have a new leader, the people have spoken, and we all must deal with it. I look at our current situation much like a kid at christmas/birthday/or any other appropriate gift receiving time. Many times a child won't get the specific toy they asked for but a good kid will appreciate whatever is in the box with their name written on the tag of said box....

I personally don't see Barack O'Bama as black, white, half-black, half-white, or whatever. The day has finally come where people, the vast majority of people say, "Who gives a rats arse about the exterior shell of a person." I see Barack O'Bama as a new parent if you will. A new parent of a child unlike rarely, if ever,  birthed to any other. And sometimes a child has to listen to their parent(s). I, for one, am ready to listen....

On this day, on this beautiful day, I proudly, with a big ole' happy grin, wish all of my neighbors on this pulchritudinous EARTH.........

PEACE, Love, and Hope,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I personally don't see Barack O'Bama as black, white, half-black, half-white, or whatever. The day has finally come where people, the vast majority of people say, "Who gives a rats arse about the exterior shell of a person." I see Barack O'Bama as a new parent if you will. A new parent of a child unlike rarely, if ever,  birthed to any other. And sometimes a child has to listen to their parent(s). I, for one, am ready to listen....

very well said indeed.

Ken

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I personally don't see Barack O'Bama as black, white, half-black, half-white, or whatever.

What's all this black / white talk? Everyone knows Barack O'bama is Irish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKo … annel_page

He did not get my vote but at this point has my complete support. That will change if / when my taxes go up.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

upyerkilt wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

very well said indeed.

Ken

Agreed!!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Zurf wrote:

What I like about inauguration day isn't all the pomp and circumstance.  It's the lack of gunfire.  An orderly transition of power and authority from one individual to another.  Even sometimes people who don't like each other very much.  In the history of the world, that is an unusual event.  Some few countries have it regularly.  Then again, many countries do not.  Then there are countries which have, for all intents and purposes, no government whatsoever.  Somalia comes to mind.  So, there's that.  Don't think I'm not grateful for this level of order and calm. 

My neighbor campaigned hard for then Senator Obama.  I intend to invite she and her husband over for a cocktail this evening.  They can toast now President Obama, and while I don't have strong feelings one way or the other for President Obama, I will be happy to drink a toast to President Bush becoming FORMER President Bush. 

What is an appropriate song for a day like this I wonder?  Perhaps Age by Jim Croce, "Now I'm in my second circle and I'm heading for the top.  I've learned a lot of things along the way.  I'll be careful while I'm climbing because it hurts a lot to drop.  And when you're down, nobody gives a d*** anyway."  (hope that's not violating the Chordie rule of too many lyrics - proper credit is given)

- Zurf

Wow, thanks for mentioning Jim Croce and reminding me of that tune.  It's definitely one I want to learn.  And it certainly is appropriate!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Zurf

Hey LesPaulGuy, with that comment, I think you'll enjoy this joke.  I watched The Late Show with Jay Leno last night.  He had a Bush impersonator on for a comedy "interview."  Anyway, Leno asked "Bush" whether he was getting any rest now that the pressure is off.  The Bush impersonator replied, "Like all Americans, I am sleeping a lot better now that I'm not the President."  That cracked me up. 

Ozy - That song is in my list of songs to memorize.  I have a book of songs I want to memorize and have them rated Green, Yellow, and Red.  Green is that I can play it smoothly without the chart.  Yellow is that I can play it relatively smoothly with the chart.  And Red means there's a lot of work to do.  Age is in Yellow status.  I've been playing it fingerstyle.  There's a pretty good chord chart of it on Chordie.  I don't play it just like the chord chart, but close.  I take those chord charts as guidelines rather than something to be strictly followed. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

I'm a canadian so the american judicial system is very confusing. but i don't understand what you mean by FORMER pres. bush. no offense, but i don't think Obama can turn the economy around by putting more money into the circulation.

The world is only going to get worse!

washed by Him! wrote:

I'm a canadian so the american judicial system is very confusing. but i don't understand what you mean by FORMER pres. bush. no offense, but i don't think Obama can turn the economy around by putting more money into the circulation.

WBH - I frankly don't know anything about war or the military and less about middle easter geo-politics, so I have to let that rest in the hands of the experts.  I wish there was more I can do, but there isn't.  At least not with any credibility on my part. 

What I meant by being glad that President Bush is no longer is office was based on his environmental record, especially with regards to rivers.  I don't even hold the economy against him.  That started brewing really badly no later than mid-way through President Clinton's second term.  Terrorism and our wars took our minds and press off the situation for a time, but that didn't mean the problem wasn't continuing to brew and worsen.

I agree with you that President Obama cannot turn the economy around by floating more money.  That's hardly an indictment of President Obama.  I don't think we can put the economy or its recovery at the heart of any person or party.  Increasingly, ever since WWII, the U.S. government has tried to govern through money rather than ideas, discipline, and effort.  They've done it for so long that now they've got so much money even they don't know how to spend it all and they're spending more than they've got anyway.  They've made themselves irrelevant.  Money only has to much influence. 

I'm going to leave it there so as not to take this into a "uh-huh" "nuh-uh" kind of political thread.  Anyone may disagree with me, of course.  All I've done is state my opinion, to which any and all are free to disagree or agree or ridicule.  I will not defend it further in this forum.   

- Zurf

and after Zurf's last comment on this, hopefully folk will either comment without directing to another or manage to keep their opinions to themselves so as not to start any argy bargy arguments that are unwanted in the forum of music.

Music and politics don't mix ... if they did there'd be acoustic jams on the front lawn of the White House  tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

quite right, right les paul guy!!!

I think Obama has a little backporch blues going on behind the White House on weekends.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Or we all could crash the White House and have one big three day jam. that a be a blast eh.

lol..  Badeye       cool

one caper after another

Give me a ring about 2 weeks ahead so one of you guys can come pick me and my gear up. lol!

badeye wrote:

Or we all could crash the White House and have one big three day jam. that a be a blast eh.

lol..  Badeye       cool

Watch out, the department of Homeland Security may be watching this!  LOL  Putting blast, crash in the same post as the White House may be risky!  <cringe>

**ozymandias goes off to hide in an undisclosed location......with his guitar of course!**