Topic: Question for the Political Science(Law enforcement) folks.

With all due respect.........

Seriously here, whatta you do if you're forced to handcuff a one-armed person. And once they're apprehended in the patrol car, is there a radio that plays music? If so, do you play what you( the police officer{s}) want to hear or do you take requests from the person in the 'back seat'? Just curious. I asked these questions to an officer who regularly patrols one of the bars I work and he just laughed at me. I quess he thought I was messin' with him. I was not.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

2 (edited by bensonp 2009-01-16 21:30:12)

Re: Question for the Political Science(Law enforcement) folks.

Well, first you handcuff his arm to his leg and then you play knee slapping country music.  Then the prisoner will either shut up or beat himself to a frenzy trying to keep up with the music.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

if you handcuff this person to his leg he's going to be sitting kinda akward and most police cars only have the police band on the radio some of the police cars have screens and the back doors are locked so he might not have to be handcuffed, but I would guess they would secure him someway and what if his ankle is really fat the handcuffs woulden't fit so your guess is as good as mine smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Arm to belt loop or belt itself. Another option is the armrest inside. As far as what music selection goes: ask him what he likes and try to play the opposite. Really loud Barry Manilow seems like a good choice...

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

that would fall under police brutality lol

Definately handcuff his hand to his belt and play a tape of "ice cream truck" music . . . real loud.

As a cop myself, you'd handcuff the wrist to the belt ... I'd never handcuff someone to the armrest as your looking at a lawsuit if you get into an accident and he's "stuck" with the car ... as far as mucic, I'd keep what I had on the radio, which was usually a hard rock or metal station ... if he doesnt like it, he's not going anywhere anytime soon and it's only a short ride to the cell  tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

sounds like you know what your doing, just curious what if he has no belt or belt loops smile

LesPaulGuy wrote:

As a cop myself, you'd handcuff the wrist to the belt ... I'd never handcuff someone to the armrest as your looking at a lawsuit if you get into an accident and he's "stuck" with the car ... as far as mucic, I'd keep what I had on the radio, which was usually a hard rock or metal station ... if he doesnt like it, he's not going anywhere anytime soon and it's only a short ride to the cell  tongue

how about just whack him over the head and knock him out the nwaken him at the station and tell him how he fell over?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Russell_Harding wrote:

sounds like you know what your doing, just curious what if he has no belt or belt loops smile

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Don't throw me a curve this early in the morning Rus ... it requires too much thinking until I've had my coffee!  tongue

Ken ... it's easier if they're intoxicated, then you can say it's just a bad hangover wink

Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Don't throw me a curve this early in the morning Rus ... it requires too much thinking until I've had my coffee!  tongue

Ken ... it's easier if they're intoxicated, then you can say it's just a bad hangover wink

From prior work experience, if he does not have belt loops or a belt you can use your hobble cord (les paul guy knows what one is) loop it around his waist and hook him up from there.  If he is an Adam Henry then you hobble both his ankles and cuff his hand to his ankles. As far as music once again if he is an A.H. you sing very badly to him or no music at all.

Bootleger.

upyerkilt wrote:

how about just whack him over the head and knock him out the nwaken him at the station and tell him how he fell over?

Ken

That would not be nice King, what you do is give him a screen test after all he wants to be heard. (a screen test is not puting on the seat belt on the suspect, speeding down the road and then stopping so you do not run over that imaginary animal that just darted out in front of you. In the U.S the units had metal screens to separate the front seat from the back seat. Now a days the most screens are plexiglass and do not have as much effect as the metal screen when the Adam Henry's face comes in contact).

Bootlegger.

Back when I was a cop (13 years ago) we carried large zip ties that we would use around the perps waist to cuff to. The belt would still allow the perp to remove his pants unless they were excedingly tight... As far as the radio, I always kept mine on my prefrences but I guess I would have changed it depending on the individual and their attitude. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Adam Henrys', hahaha!!!!!! I know a few of those. I do all that I can to distance myself as far away from those Adam Henrys'. Many times though, despite my tireless efforts, they seem to creep their way back into my path of destiny!?!?!............

Peace and Guitars,
Adam Henry Jr........

Give everything but up.

bootleger wrote:
upyerkilt wrote:

Ken

That would not be nice King, what you do is give him a screen test after all he wants to be heard. (a screen test is not puting on the seat belt on the suspect, speeding down the road and then stopping so you do not run over that imaginary animal that just darted out in front of you. In the U.S the units had metal screens to separate the front seat from the back seat. Now a days the most screens are plexiglass and do not have as much effect as the metal screen when the Adam Henry's face comes in contact).

Bootlegger.

big_smile  ... I must confess, I've never done that b4  neutral

Line6 SpiderIII 75

this is a funny topic and as some who used to spend a lot of time in the back seat of apolice car i find they usally keep it on the station they like but i have had them take my request before. one time on a long ride to the jail me and a state trooper joined each other in singing an Ozzy osburn song.,best ride to jail i ever had. glad those days are over with!

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

"And if I ever have a son I'm gonna name him Bill or George anything but Adam Henry."

Oops that just slipped out.

Later,Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

LESPAULGUY: I am from Europe and a fanatic USA lover.
During the several trips I did there, I saw at least 10 times people arrested by cops.
It is as if you are in a "parallel dimension", because it is almost a "show" when they arrest someone.
I was once in Seattle, we just landed there. So I was very exhausted, we arrived at our hotel, and due to a mistake that hotel was overbooked. They send us to a "real better" hotel, but try to find that hotel, in a big city at 02.00h, tired, exhausted. I saw suddenly at least 5 police cars and one of the policemen was handcuffing an afro-american, and while handcuffing he explained us how to get there. I admit, that guy had the size and the muscles (he looked like Dolph Lundgren). WHY IS IT NECESSARY TO PERFORM A BIG SHOW? I know that they use their "sticks" to beat on th back of the knee, resulting in falling down.
I was caught once, on that same trip for driving 50 miles/h in stead of 30 miles/ hour. His arms full of tattoos and as big as my legs. He went to his car, to come back 5 minutes later, asking where we were going, I answered Las Vegas and he told me to spend the fine there. LUCKY ME.
10 miles from the point he stopped our car, we saw him back, hidden very well and invisible for approaching cars, but visible when you passed where he stood.
A FEW QUESTIONS (as European)
- you drive on a highway, in 1 hour I saw 4 cars, and 1 patrol car busy with another car. HOW ARE THEY ABLE TO SEE US? With a "satellite"? A hidden camera? I haven't a clue. Amazing.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc

In the U.S. you have a lot of cops for a multitude of reasons ... first and foremost, you have town or city cops, county cops, then state cops ... it all depends on how the jurisdiction is laid out in the area you're in, that will determine how many cops are in a certain are ... another factor is the crime rate in the area ... from a cop stand point, we're trained to always have back-up or a "roll by" to make sure a fellow cop is alright ... the level of threat will determine how many cops are on the scene as well ... if the license plate is run and it shows an arrest warrant, they'll stack up the cops and you'll see them drawing down on a car ... if it's a traffic stop and the person is uncooperative, that'll get more cops on the scene as well

As far as never seeing them until your right "on top" of them, that's true ... in the military you have to be in plain sight, if your hidden and running radar and you stop someone, it's considered a form of entrapment ... but civilian cops don't have to worry about that since they are not under more strict guidance as military cops

Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Why does the tune "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC keep running thru my head after I read that!

<grin>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:
LesPaulGuy wrote:

Why does the tune "Highway to Hell" by AC/DC keep running thru my head after I read that!

<grin>

lol

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I have the perfect song for you Policemen to play while transporting an Adam Henry;

track 15 from the 'O Brother Where Art Thou' soundtrack......

"IN THE JAIL HOUSE NOW"

At dare's funny, I don't care who you are.............

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I have the perfect song for you Policemen to play while transporting an Adam Henry;

track 15 from the 'O Brother Where Art Thou' soundtrack......

"IN THE JAIL HOUSE NOW"

At dare's funny, I don't care who you are.............

AAAIIIIIIEEEE, now I have that and "Jailhouse Rock" fighting for earworm supremacy in my head!   

OY  <whimper>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg