Topic: Different tuning

My ring and small finger on my left hand are going numb. Does anyone know of a different way to tune my guitar that may help me use only 3 fingers?
Lock

Re: Different tuning

No, but if you are new to guitar playing and experiencing this numbness as a recent development, perhaps you are pressing too hard or practicing for too long at a time. 

If you're not new to guitar, or if the numbness is not a new symptom, then you may consider medical treatment.  Numbness in your digits is not a good symptom to have as a mystery ailment.  Not good at all.  Especially not in your left hand.  If it's in your left hand, and you cannot absolutely positively attribute it to guitar playing, stop what you are doing right now and go to an emergency room.   I'm not joking. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

They've checked it at the V A hospital and said there is a damaged nerve but don't know which one it is. Really comforting thought.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I'm sure that's not very fun to deal with.  The best advice I can give is to expiriment with some open tunings (you could learn to play slide) or, if it's easier, you could attempt to learn to play left-handed (you'll need a new guitar of course).  Best of luck!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

thanks a bunch.- A slide might not be a bad idea.
Lock.

lock wrote:

They've checked it at the V A hospital and said there is a damaged nerve but don't know which one it is. Really comforting thought.

More comforting than being in the midst of a heart attack anyway, which has the symptom of tingling and numbness in your left hand.  Not the best place to be, but there are worse ones.  Good luck with your playing. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The two have nothing to do with each other but they're checking my heart  too because it's not beating in the right rhythm. The hand started long before the rhythm. sad

well its good they caught it early whatever it is and your in the right place for treatment and prevention good luck with it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thank You very much. I appreciate that. Stay safe and have a great day.
Chuck ( lock )

I think you are pressing too hard!

But you could try open G...

[b][i][url=http://slide.neonblade.com]Slide Guitar for Beginners[/url][/i][/b]

neonblade wrote:

I think you are pressing too hard!

But you could try open G...

No, I've been playing too long to do that it's definitelt numb fingers.

I like the idea of playing slide guitar.
It would be great to have access to more than one guitar so you could play alternate tunings without having to pull the daylights out of one guitar between songs.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I like the idea of playing slide guitar.
It would be great to have access to more than one guitar so you could play alternate tunings without having to pull the daylights out of one guitar between songs.

It's getting closer to reality. That's for sure.
Thanks.

14 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-24 12:36:22)

lock wrote:

Lock.

this seems a good idea .. especialy if you think its a long term disabilty and you love playing guitar ... check out some open tunings ( you tube  for example) but you might have to also check which guitars are more suited than others  for slide work .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evsynator wrote:
lock wrote:

Lock.

this seems a good idea .. especialy if you think its a long term disabilty and you love playing guitar ... check out some open tunings ( you tube  for example) but you might have to also check which guitars are more suited than others  for slide work .

I'll do that. Thank you.
lock.

16 (edited by craig23 2009-01-28 04:47:19)

You could tune down a half step, or even a whole step. Try lighter gauge strings or maybe flatwound strings. Do you play electric or acoustic. Electrics are easier to play due to string tension. I'm not exactly sure but I think shorter scale lengths are supposed to have less tension on them too.