Topic: BOSS ME-50

My new student brought this effects unit with him for his first lesson and left it with me till his next lesson in one week so out of curiosity I googled it up and checked out all the on board effects demos I was surprised to learn my digital recorder has all the same effects as the me-50 plus a whole lot more but this is a three pedal unit designed for live performances and is a rugged piece of hardware,in the past I have taken my Boss BR-8 to some gigs and recording sessions and used it in much the same manner as this unit but was careful not to subject it to the rigors it was not designed for now I just use it to record at home or in the recording studio because of its portability,I first purchased it for close to $800.00 over ten yrs ago and it has never failed or given me any problems but if I were still in a traveling band or gigging steady I would recommend something on the order of this Boss ME-50 to be sure there are other effects units that are just as reliable and combination looping and effects pedals even amps that contain looping effects along with delay and sustain but a floor unit is more practical for live performances because all the effects are on stage in easy reach and any effects can be switched with a tap of your foot a lot different then the old days of fuzz tones and stomp boxes hooked in parallel,makes you wonder where the future of effects processors will lead smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

2 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-25 23:46:57)

Re: BOSS ME-50

I was always against effects etc ... until I saw a few guys using them as individuals and come to the conclusion that that using them can be an art in itself done by the right people .... to see one guy actually use them in a performance can be great ... the main one that changed my mind was seeing a guy do "baba o rielly" originally by the who... it transformed my way of thinking - it made me realise there is a way of being exceptionally clever with effects and not just bluffingyour way through ... I dont know if this is what your thinking Russell ?

this was done by some kind of looping device where he played the first bit then gradually added other bits and built it up and then deleted bits and finished with other bits etc .. but all done live ....

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evsynator what you describe is looping,also the use of effects I liken to the use of colors on a artists easel he paints a canvas blending hues and dark and light values I enjoy painting or just sketching with a pencil,when I first started sketching I would draw a house and then a tree and add some mountains or a lake but then I realized its quite the reverse you shade the areas to produce the image and it magically appears so it is with music its been said silence is a composers canvas smile 

evsynator wrote:

I was always against effects etc ... until I saw a few guys using them as individuals and come to the conclusion that that using them can be an art in itself done by the right people .... to see one guy actually use them in a performance can be great ... the main one that changed my mind was seeing a guy do "baba o rielly" originally by the who... it transformed my way of thinking - it made me realise there is a way of being exceptionally clever with effects and not just bluffingyour way through ... I dont know if this is what your thinking Russell ?

this was done by some kind of looping device where he played the first bit then gradually added other bits and built it up and then deleted bits and finished with other bits etc .. but all done live ....

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Check this guy out. His name is Keller Williams and I learned how to loop by studying this dude for months and months. Looping rules!!! Pre-recorded crud is lame, in this musicians humble opinion.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAI3QgssxKA

Give everything but up.