Topic: MXL990, 991

i am considering buying the MXL 990 and 991 as my first microphone purchase. I will be recording guitar and vocals.  i have a macbook pro and i have been messing around on garageband, and i don't plan on advancing my software yet, but my question is what else do i need??

[url=http://www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel]www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel[/url]

Re: MXL990, 991

If your getting the USB models you should be good to go... If your getting the standard 990/991 combo you'll need a 48v phantom power supply and an interface. Or you could just get a mixer with phantom power and usb to transfer to the mac.. That's what I did. I had a set of 990/991 mics awhile back as my first set and they worked well.  I'm sure others can probably offer more help as I'm not as experienced as some when it comes to recording smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

hi kgrassel welcome to Chordie im not familar with garageband but you can download the audacity program(free) and I have some video tutorials that will explain all the adapters and chords necessary to process you songs to mp3 format and upload or cut a cd, the link for the tutorials is at the bottom (mediafire) and I would suggest dowloading the first four videos the explain how to and what you will need and if you have any questions holler smile ps, just google up Audacity available from sourcefordge.net all of this is free smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

guitarpix's idea may work better for you he seems to have recorded with similar gear its up to you and as long as it works it dont matter which you use go with what works for you smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I own that mic in both USB and phantom power versions. I've been satisfied. I bought both at a pretty competitive price. If you're planning on embarking on this addictive endeavor, you'll eventually want a USB or firewire audio interface (I got a Tascam US-144). If this is the case, I wouldn't bother with the USB powered version of the mic. The only time I use the USB mic is if I travel. Just my experience. All your equipment will feed into the interface and switching your recording software back to look at the USB (instead of the interface) for just the mic can be annoying. Look for on line deals with shock mounts, cases etc.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello