Topic: Trouble with bar chords like F and such!!!

I seem to have a lot of trouble with bar chords. Even the simplest ones like F. Taking lessons and very slowly getting there. Any hints/advise to speed me along. My fingers always seem to bar at the joints/creases where the string snubs out.
Also, would a metronom help me keep a beat. I suspect practice, practice and more practice is the most likely answer to all above question. Any advise is appreciated.
Newplucker.

Re: Trouble with bar chords like F and such!!!

I found some on-line metronomes here:

http://www.metronomeonline.com/
http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/ … metronome/
http://all-guitar-chords.com/metronome.php

You can start with as little as 40bpm, and rack it up to over 200 with different beats. It does put pressure on, but that can only be good. Start slow and speed up.

The experts had best help with bar chords - I've almost got the F.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

MATELOT,
Welcome back!How did you manage to get yourself unbanned ?Don,t answer that if you think it might cause further strife.
Regards JOHN

Cheers. It was only about a day, but hopefully history. There were some misunderstandings, but not an auspicious start on my part. Best behaviour from now on and concentrate on the ol' gee-tar.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.

Gotta ask what went on mustve been summat pretty bad to get a ban !!
Nosey

If its too loud yer too old.

Hi Newplucker just a couple of things that might help...
    The "F" chord is not easy to get the hang of but it can be done !
     First get that wrist bent so your "barre" finger is nice and flat against the fret board.
     sit up and try not to turn the guitar towards you too see your fingering as this changes
     the wrist postion.
     If you find the stretch a bit too much try moving the "F" shape upto the 5th fret then the
     chord becomes an "A" but you will find it is some 1/2 inch (12mm) less between the frets
     practice that then stretch a bit more by moving down to the 3rd fret now a"G" and play
     practice playing between the two then slip on down to the first "F" 

A metronome is good idea or tap your foot but start slowly get those chords sounding
     clean and yeah no way out Practice,Practice,Practice ... sorry  smile

Hope this helps ...  Most of all have fun.

For barre chords, first, move out of your comfort zone: if you normally practice sitting down, then stand up.

Second, don't try to use your hand as a clamp.  Very little of the pressure for the bar comes from your thumb; instead, pull into the fretboard with your upper arm.  You'll find that you need to pull with your right arm a bit as well to counterbalance.  Once you get the proper set of muscles working, you'll be amazed at how effortless it is.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Hi Newplucker,

all the advice you've got is sound so use it.  Just one small detail have you checked the hight

of you strings in relation to the freatboard, Just a thought, you could need it set Up?

Luck and Health to all!!!

just a little hint make sure starting out that you drop your elbow way down the less you bend your wrist the stronger your hand is

always pickin someting

10 (edited by alansheeran 2009-01-29 13:08:05)

I remember starting on an F by playing a four string chord ( other people have said this on other threads).

Once you are able to play any chord without it buzzing, release the pressure on the string without moving your fingers away - hit the deadened strings - and then put the pressure back on the strings - hit - and repeat. That way you're building up muscle memory, which will make it easier to find the chord again without having to think about it and move individual fingers.

I still use this when I'm learning new chords. And I'm still learning new chord 35 years later - or maybe that's remembering one's I've forgotten.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

11 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-29 22:47:17)

F is hard ( for me that is - and I been at it for 30 years - you have to stretch the arm and wrist to get get it right ... with a capo on up a few frets the strain gets easier  ... though all barred chords need that little bit extra thought and pressure ... if you struggle with a bar chord you aint the only one ... but when you get it - its worth the struggle .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.