Re: SUPER BOWL WHO DO YOU LIKE

Oh yeah, nothing rivals the excitement of 0-0 tie...(95% of the final scores of soccer games)  hahaha

I guess it's all relative.

Give everything but up.

27 (edited by alansheeran 2009-01-29 21:58:49)

The excitement of soccer depends upon team tactics and 0-0 can be a helluva game. The 'keeper for Manchester United just last week kept a record of 11 clean sheets - that's no goals past him in 990 minutes of play, so if you see that 0-0, then both keepers had good games.

I helped set up an American Football team in Belfast way back in the 80's. Channel Four had just started showing games back then and a crowd of us had been watching the games - as far as I remember the Redskins played the Raiders that year. We were well on by the time the game ended early Monday morning and we decided we were going to set up a team ( no playing for me though - rugby had already done for the cartilage in one knee, broken my only nose, and left me with a barometer for a shoulder - so I know what you're talking about UYK ).

I did the press work for it (which helped get me my first real job BTW ) and we ended up with 40 guys, one ball and no idea what to do with them. Thankfully the deputy US Consul appeared and another guy who was on a US christian mission to the heathen Irish (such as myself) and they took us in hand. The team was called the Belfast Blitzers and, after a while playing flag football, everybody got the gear and blood was let. I think the team eventually folded.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

ozymandias wrote:

It is funny how the National Football League keeps trying to push American Football on European.  The two games played at Wembley stadium attract people, but people who just want to see what it's all about.  I mean, from everything I'v read and heard, Europeans don't give a crap about it.  So I can understand your feelings about it.  So no offense taken and I'v played the game as a teenager.  I do prefer Baseball and Basketball myself.  And I'v played soccer, not interested in watching the game, I'd rather play. 

They want Soccer and Rugby.  Your right it's just a game, I have my favorite teams, but, if they don't win......ok.  If they do win like the Boston Celtics did last years NBA championship, I'm happy, but I keep it in perspective.

I used to love watching baseball and wished that it was big over here. I would much have rathered played that than rounders in school.

And loads of folk like american football over here, they show the superbowl every year and I know quiet a lot that stay up to watch it and have an all night party for it.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

29 (edited by ozymandias 2009-01-29 23:01:27)

upyerkilt wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

It is funny how the National Football League keeps trying to push American Football on European.  The two games played at Wembley stadium attract people, but people who just want to see what it's all about.  I mean, from everything I'v read and heard, Europeans don't give a crap about it.  So I can understand your feelings about it.  So no offense taken and I'v played the game as a teenager.  I do prefer Baseball and Basketball myself.  And I'v played soccer, not interested in watching the game, I'd rather play. 

They want Soccer and Rugby.  Your right it's just a game, I have my favorite teams, but, if they don't win......ok.  If they do win like the Boston Celtics did last years NBA championship, I'm happy, but I keep it in perspective.

I used to love watching baseball and wished that it was big over here. I would much have rathered played that than rounders in school.

And loads of folk like american football over here, they show the superbowl every year and I know quiet a lot that stay up to watch it and have an all night party for it.

Ken

Baseball is a great summer game and for sheer hilarity,the late  George Carlin did one of his funniest routines comparing Baseball and American Football.  I wish I could find and post it.  But after a day of shovelling and roof raking 2 feet of snow I neither have the energy or attention span to dig it up!  <sigh>

One of my greatest pleasure is playing "softball" a version of baseball played at a slower pitch and with a bigger ball.   I'm a bit competitive, but I love to play for the sheer fun of it!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:

Baseball is a great summer game and for sheer hilarity,the late  George Carlin did one of his funniest routines comparing Baseball and American Football.  I wish I could find and post it.

Here's George:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om_yq4L3M_I

And another epic on football by Andy Griffith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

31 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-29 23:27:44)

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Oh yeah, nothing rivals the excitement of 0-0 tie...(95% of the final scores of soccer games)  hahaha

I guess it's all relative.

So lets have a world series where we are going to be the winner ... lol ... dont matter that the rest of the world arent allowed to compete ( because of two things - a complete lack of interest and a boring game ).. but what the heck ... we are yanks we are the best ( so why is obhama apologising  ? ) - enjoy it.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Loving 0-0 soccer/football games and enjoying baseball on TV.  UYK, you need some excitement in your life.  May I suggest a hobby?  Perhaps you'd enjoy playing the guitar.  Oh, wait...

I guess I'm not one who should be complaining.  I enjoy watching singles tennis on TV.  In fact, it's the only sport I enjoy watching on TV.  Especially women's single tennis, and not for the purient reasons either.  I think there's much more finesse and control in the women's sport.   Men just stand at the baseline and smack the crud out of the ball.  While I admit from a playing perspective, that style of play is a terrific catharthis.  Just imagine whoever's got you riled on the ball and SMACK!  But from a watching perspective, seeing carefully selected placements, spin control, and whatnot is far more interesting than thwop / thwop / thwop / thwop / OUT. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

33 (edited by ozymandias 2009-01-30 02:05:56)

Zurf wrote:

Loving 0-0 soccer/football games and enjoying baseball on TV.  UYK, you need some excitement in your life.  May I suggest a hobby?  Perhaps you'd enjoy playing the guitar.  Oh, wait...

I guess I'm not one who should be complaining.  I enjoy watching singles tennis on TV.  In fact, it's the only sport I enjoy watching on TV.  Especially women's single tennis, and not for the purient reasons either.  I think there's much more finesse and control in the women's sport.   Men just stand at the baseline and smack the crud out of the ball.  While I admit from a playing perspective, that style of play is a terrific catharthis.  Just imagine whoever's got you riled on the ball and SMACK!  But from a watching perspective, seeing carefully selected placements, spin control, and whatnot is far more interesting than thwop / thwop / thwop / thwop / OUT. 

- Zurf

Oh admit it you love watching Serena Williams "bouncing" all over the court!   <wink>

<grin>  I do!

Or as me and my lovely wife like to say, "We may be married, but we ain't dead!"  Hee-hee

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

ozymandias wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Oh admit it you love watching Serena Williams "bouncing" all over the court!   <wink>

<grin>  I do!

Or as me and my lovely wife like to say, "We may be married, but we ain't dead!"  Hee-hee

Serena not so much, but I must admit a certain disappointment when Martina Hingis retired.  Imagine that, born the year I moved into High School and she's retired with enough money that her grandchildren won't have to work if she handles it wisely.   

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

"ahem", I fail understand what "bouncing" female tennis players or soccer has to do with the super bowl, you forgot to mention tiddly winks (its a sport somewhere) or lacrosse,arm wrestling,competitive hot dog eating,timed breath holding or the 5 yard sprint for walkers lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It should be obvious.  Martina Hingis is a Steelers fan.  (You know it's true because now you've seen it on the internet.)

- Zurf

Zurf I just googled a few youtube vids of Martina and were not talking bout football are we? lol

Football......what's that!????

football is............................................... lol

na I canny be bothered getting back into this football the real name and soccer and american football lol lol lol

It is confusing, but Here, soccer is soccer, there soccer is football and it makes sense to me. 

Ah well only two more days of extreme hype and histrionics to go.

Hey, Southpaw, how's it going down there????

Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf I just googled a few youtube vids of Martina and were not talking bout football are we? lol

Not exactly.  She surely is beautiful and that has its attraction on its own, but she really was very exciting to watch play as well.  She never seemed to panic or rush, and always kept each game and the matches in control.  She never lost, but was sometimes beaten (which she accepted as gracefully as she did wins).  Her strategy was always impeccable and she had absolute mastery of the basics of the game - which carried her to the top and kept her there for five or six years straight.  The only person who really ever contested her position was Lindsey Davenport.  I recommend checking her videos as well.  She's as tall as Venus Williams (6'2"), but didn't play the Venus Williams power game - using her height for power only when it was called for and not as a fallback position.  The two of them playing - Martina Hingis vs. Lindsey Davenport - were absolutely epic games. 

When Serena Williams plays on clay, like at the French Open, it's a thing of beauty.  But you should have seen Martina Hingis do it.  Simply amazing. 

- Zurf

p.s.  Go Steelers.

You wanna talk about beautiful female tennis players? Hows about Maria Sharapova! Matina Hingis looks like an ugly ducking beside the stunning beautiful, talented, and intelligent Lady Sharapova(in my humble opinion). And Sharapova doesn't make those annoying grunts everytime she whacks the ball.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en& … rch+images

Go me in winning the squares game during the superbowl!!!!!!

Give everything but up.

43 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2009-01-30 22:08:06)

Now when it comes to Tennis greats ... I still think, in her prime, NO one could touch Steffi Graf ... Fraulein Forehand would scare the heck out of opponents ... funny how she became beautiful AFTER she retired and married Andre Agassi ... but on a side not, Agassi and Sampras had some AMAZING tennis matches.

And it seems all the hot female tennis players come from Russia or former Eastern Bloc Countries ... maybe I should move there    tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Maria Sharapova is nice looking.  Off the court, she is the subject of posters, calendars, mens' magazine 'articles', and whatnot.  But as a tennis player she doesn't hold a candle to Martina Hingis.  Further, Ms. Hingis beauty was not only in her appearance in still photographs (which is very nice) but in her graceful movement and in the positive attitude she displayed at all times.  With only a modicum of movement, she obtained amazing results.  She smiled whether she won or lost.  Ms. Sharapova comes across as a bit of a snit, especially when she isn't doing well against an opponent (which is fairly often). 

Steffi Graf was amazing and had an attitude and comeback beyond that which should ever be expected.  Still, she relied on a power game to a great degree.  She had power all over the other women she was playing against and opened up the door to power players to follow.  After her comeback, she by necessity concentrated on placement and spin control and became an even better player.  However, at least two have surpassed her in the application of power tennis on the women's circuit.  The now retired Lindsey Davenport could use her height advantage for amazing power, and frankly no one touches Venus Williams these days and may never.  I'm afraid Ms. Graf, as talented as she was, would not have been #1 with Ms. Williams playing.  I never found her to be a "pretty" player.  Sure, she's a nice-looking woman, but with her it was all talent and determination as far as I'm concerned. 

Steelers rock.

- Zurf

I abhor tennis and I loath soccer, boredom ad infinitum if Gort were here "klatu berratta nicktoe" lol
                                             +
                                     -------------
                                     |    (/\ )     |
                                     |    /   \      |
                          =====    /      \ -------
                                        /        \
                                        /         \
                                      / /          \\
                                   aaaaarrrgggggggg

R.I.P.
                                         lol

Russell_Harding wrote:

I abhor tennis and I loath soccer, boredom ad infinitum if Gort were here "klatu berratta nicktoe" lol
                                             +
                                     -------------
                                     |    (/\ )     |
                                     |    /   \      |
                          =====    /      \ -------
                                        /        \
                                        /         \
                                      / /          \\
                                   aaaaarrrgggggggg

R.I.P.
                                         lol

so ye'll not like american football either then Russell? 4 hours to play a minutes of play? can you get any boring than that?
I would rather watch 95 minutes of football staying at 0-0 seeing lots of action non stop, incidents, fouls, arguments, the banter of the crowd than sit for 4 hours bored.

As for tennis, well where do i start? lol
I like watching it and I have no idea why, it is too quiet apart from the UHHH OOOOOO AHHHH and thats just in the mens lol the womens is worst they shout AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
But for nice looking women in tennis there is Andy Murray's girlfriend.

Ken

Ken that's what makes the world go,variety in taste,sports,music and I dont find American football boring I grew up on it, from the glory days of the Green Bay Packers and the merging of the old AFL and NFL but nobody played soccer in the United States till later and then only a handful of soccer clubs and schools featured this sport,admittedly its grown in popularity but will never replace football or baseball as the national sport here smile

Soccer in the U.S is primarily for the kids too small, or not athletic enough to play football. A typical soccer game at any in  major university will draw maybe 500 people on a good day. A typical football game at the same major university will draw in excess of 50,000 people. In your house(homes) across the pond soccer may reign supreme, but over here on this side of the water, (for the vast majority)  it's downright boring and has minimal monetary appeal. Are you ready for some football? I dang sure am come tomorrow at 6:28PM est!!!!! It's all relative as Russell says, one mans' eternal joy is another mans' worst nightmare.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

one mans' eternal joy is another mans' worst nightmare.

A pastor said that to me once when I was wearing a tuxedo.

- Zurf

That must be in the locker room lol

upyerkilt wrote:

As for tennis, well where do i start? lol
I like watching it and I have no idea why, it is too quiet apart from the UHHH OOOOOO AHHHH and thats just in the mens lol the womens is worst they shout AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ken