Topic: Flat Wound VS Round Wound strings for lead/recording?

I have an Ibanez Artcore AS83VV Semi-hollow electric...Here's a pic of mine http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/179 … c8.jpg?v=0 I've had it for 2 years now and it's only got about 12 hrs play time on it. I know that's a crime smile Anyway, I'm fixing to restring her and start giving her some more attention. I'll be using it mainly just to add some lead to my recordings and the casual ,round the house, playing. I don't keep strings on hand for my electrics since they don't get any play so I'm going to have to go pick up some and was wondering what everyone favors for theirs? I was considering going flat wound for quiter slides and such while recording but was wondering if there was any tone diffrence in them versus round wound strings? Any pro's or con's? -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Flat Wound VS Round Wound strings for lead/recording?

If you are used to the sound of round wound strings, you may find flat wounds seem dull by comparison. Sure you will not get finger squeaks and slide will sound smooth, but the tone will be almost totally the fundamental without overtones or harmonics. I use them, but only on my hollow 'jazz boat', where they are appropriate. Otherwise, I use round wound, esp pure nickle.
Some coated strings reduce finger noise too, while retaining harmonic content.