Topic: Growing Fret hand/Fingers?

I heard someone say that your fretting hand actually grows longer than your strumming hand due to the stretching of your fingers, So I put my hands together and what do you know my fretting hand fingers were noticibly longer. Is this true or had I just never noticed my freaky fingers. I did notice some ease in reaching for further frets though.

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-02-04 17:14:28)

Re: Growing Fret hand/Fingers?

Riverdales wrote:

I heard someone say that your fretting hand actually grows longer than your strumming hand due to the stretching of your fingers, So I put my hands together and what do you know my fretting hand fingers were noticibly longer. Is this true or had I just never noticed my freaky fingers. I did notice some ease in reaching for further frets though.

Interesting... I'd never heard that but I compared mine and the fretting hand is longer. My wife had a theory about guitar as well.. She believes that if you can rub your stomach in a circular motion and simply pat your head at the same time than you can pick up guitar more easily. It seems to be so from the people I've discussed it with. The people that I play with that are fairly good can all do it while the ones that really struggle with it can't...-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

very interesting, mine are a little longer as well. Fret hand have hard pads and are well broken in.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Mine are the same size but I think thru the years of playing my fretting hand is able to stretch and reach any chord like a 5 fret Fmaj7 and I dont really have large hands its just because of  repeated practice I think most can do so also,some alas never smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It may be in the stretching and constant practice the tendons and ligaments adapt.  Look at devotees of Yoga and dance.  The human body can be pretty adaptable!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Whoa dats weird. I just checked and my strumming hand is definately shorter. Proof of evolution methinks??

neutral  mine are as well ... although just about 1/4" or so ... as long as they aren't 1/2" or longer I'm good to go smile

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

If you play the piano.....would then both your hands be the same size?....I think your fret hand is a little more stretched, and flexible then your

strumming hand......At first my fret hand seemed to be a bit longer than my strum hand until put them together against the wall.....Then I put them

together again, and noticed I had to really stretch my right hand to match my left.

Wow, can't wait to try this with other parts of my body.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.