Topic: Do you ever have "One of those Days"?

Just come home from work, eaten, showered and was looking forward to my hour or two practice but everything sounds wrong??

The guitar is tuned, and nothing has changed but it sounds awful, out of tune, out of time, strange strings ringing etc!

I don't know whether to crack on or put the guitar down, have a beer and chill and hope everything sounds better tomorrow?

Crevs

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Do you ever have "One of those Days"?

Yes I've had those days, I say have a beer and a good smoke and all will be well.

ahhh beer.. Badeye .. cool

one caper after another

I'm a racing cyclist in training so whilst I could stretch to a beer I think a smoke would be out, perhaps I'll puff on a pencil!

crevs.1972 wrote:

Just come home from work, eaten, showered and was looking forward to my hour or two practice but everything sounds wrong??

The guitar is tuned, and nothing has changed but it sounds awful, out of tune, out of time, strange strings ringing etc!

I don't know whether to crack on or put the guitar down, have a beer and chill and hope everything sounds better tomorrow?

Crevs

Yeah, have a beer, chillax, retune yer guitar with a big ole happy beer-buzz grin on your face. Then I betcha your guitar and you will sound lots better.....

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Yeah it happens to me every few days or so.  Can't seem to get it right or sounding good.  Other days are just the opposite.  Everything is ggod and I come away feeling like I've really accomplished something with my playing.  Has something to do with your overall mood and willingness to play, even though you think you are ready

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Crevs  .. put the Bitch back in the corner ..next time you pick her up your back in love ... lol

Sorry Ladies ! smile

Strange why it happens what do you pro's do to snap out of it ?

I have to take exception to Badeye' comment about having a beer and all will be well. Drinking a beer will in no way change the way your guitar sounds. My advice would be to drink 8 or 6 beers and then it won't make any difference how it sounds.

Nela

Why, of course it sounds better after a few beers.  beer always makes me play better, Nela

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

badeye wrote:

Yes I've had those days, I say have a beer and a good smoke and all will be well.

ahhh Good Smoke...:cool: wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

NELA wrote:

I have to take exception to Badeye' comment about having a beer and all will be well. Drinking a beer will in no way change the way your guitar sounds. My advice would be to drink 8 or 6 beers and then it won't make any difference how it sounds.

Nela

Very true..

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

Guitarpix wrote:
badeye wrote:

ahhh Good Smoke...:cool: wink

yes very true...

.. Badeye  "cool:

one caper after another

Bad string day.  It happens.  A little carress, a little sweet-talk, fall back to a "comfort song" and it'll all be OK.  If not, well, next time it will.

- Big D

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My strings are ok but I had a beer anyway. Can't let you good people drink on your own.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

One bad day let it ride. Two in a row, might be time to change strings.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Well I'm snowed in at home today so no work, I've practiced for a few hours and it all sounds normal (for me anyway).  I guess last night was down to my mood (which seemed fine).

Having thought about it last night (over a few beers), I think partly to blame is the fact I want to sound better than I do and subsequently I'm always gonna sound unsatisfactory - does that make sense?

Anyway, off training now and hopefully a practise session later.

crevs.1972 wrote:

Having thought about it last night (over a few beers), I think partly to blame is the fact I want to sound better than I do and subsequently I'm always gonna sound unsatisfactory - does that make sense?

This makes lots of sense, good sense at that. If you lose your desire to be a better player than you actually are, your musical growth stops. Don't worry too much about the 'down' days.  They make the 'up' days more enjoyable and special.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

So has the beer stopped flowing now?  sad  Ahh, I was just on my way to get one too.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

So has the beer stopped flowing now?  sad  Ahh, I was just on my way to get one too.

Can't refuse an offer like that. Must be your round.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

My question is : Are there any players out there that this has never happened to ?? Not so bad when you're just playing at home , but I had that happen to me one night when my partner and I were playing at a bar ... It was awfull .. I kept glancing over at my partner expecting to see weird looks coming from him , but nothing ... Even my wife in the audience was oblivious .... It took a lot for me not to just put my guitar down and walk away , but then I could'nt do that either ... as the night went on it just went away ... Maybe it was the three or four beers , L O L .... Afterwards everyone said the music was great , so is it just in our heads when this happens ??
                     Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Just one of those phsycological things that happen.  We usually get over it.

I'm just learning.  I had my dad's ole fender acoustic and recently received a Washburn for a present.  Needless to say, the fretting and strings are different.  Where I learned to finally know where my fingers were going, I now have to look when I make a sour chord and lo and behold, I missed a string.

Down days are bound to happen.  If no one noticed, you probably just tired of playing the same ole same ole.  Maybe.  From a singer standpoint, I got bored with singing the same old standby that everyone wants to hear over and over and over, till I thought I sucked (I probably did), but everyone says I sounded good or never said anything one way or the other.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Just like life...If it wasn't for the downs you wouldn't appreciate the ups. 

Keep at er. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

G S E wrote:

My question is : Are there any players out there that this has never happened to ?? Not so bad when you're just playing at home , but I had that happen to me one night when my partner and I were playing at a bar ... It was awfull .. I kept glancing over at my partner expecting to see weird looks coming from him , but nothing ... Even my wife in the audience was oblivious .... It took a lot for me not to just put my guitar down and walk away , but then I could'nt do that either ... as the night went on it just went away ... Maybe it was the three or four beers , L O L .... Afterwards everyone said the music was great , so is it just in our heads when this happens ??
                     Jerry

Happened to me many times.  I just keep plugging or pickin away and sooner or later it all falls back into place.   

Hang in there!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

KAP54 wrote:

Just like life...If it wasn't for the downs you wouldn't appreciate the ups. 

Keep at er. smile

Kenny

QFT

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Ya, those days happen. Just chill for a bit or mabye try it later. all will b fine smile better days ahead!

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}