Topic: Boss Br 600

Hi guys i am going to invest in a home recording studio thingy and the bosss br 600 looks like a winner its a decent price has lots of bells and whistles and ticks nearly all the boxes, but i was wondering if any you guys had any feedback on this model or other machines that i could be having a look at , thanx Paul.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Re: Boss Br 600

I think this is what your getting looks good smile
http://www.roland.com/products/com/BR-600/images/top_L.jpg

"Growing old is not for sissies"

you can read about it here it looks like a real good choice for the money mine is a br-8 smile
http://www.roland.com/products/en/BR-600/index.html

This is my recorder a Boss br-8 digital 8 track this is where it all starts smile
http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/en/BR-8/images/BR-8_top_large.jpg

Let me ask you this russ...Im recording through a presonus firebox audio interface into my puter...Would there be much of an advantage (for me)to go to digital recorder....Ive been considering this for a while....

There are more advantages with a digital like mine you get to mix on the fly an example of this is the last song i uploaded to myspace "Rumpty Humpty" I was able to pan a lead solo as it was being recorded in Reaper that's the only way to get that effect plus you can record several tracks premix them and send them into reaper as 2 tracks stereo already mixed so you can add 8 more and send them in as 2 etc... so in effect you cut down on time,time it would take to process all those tracks you can have 16 tracks on 4 on reaper and if you want add 16 more and so on, this will not take away from useing the fx effects on single tracks you can add my recorder uses zip disks 100MB and there are options for long play and the nice thing is because its digital no sound quality is sacrificed and they can be refreshed and used indefinitely over and over with out wearing out,I have been useing the same 10 zip disks for over 12 yrs without loss off sound quality,in short there are a lot of advantages to having one and that's my take on it smile

riddler wrote:

Let me ask you this russ...Im recording through a presonus firebox audio interface into my puter...Would there be much of an advantage (for me)to go to digital recorder....Ive been considering this for a while....

Ok...i can pan with audition easily...But if i can get a substantial better quality of sound...I may look into investing into 1 of these digital recorders...

Weedjie....lets us know what you end up getting and give us a review of it...

Randy i had to uninstall and reinstall reaper due to some bugs and the asio driver on the new reaper download didnt let the sound come thru the  speakers so i had to reconfigure the audio settings to output from my speakers I may have the latentcy problem again but at least its working now so when I use the program i will do the mixing in my digital recorder first and send the recording into reaper and render them as flac or mp3 depending on the size of the file but till I can get a better handle on this program Im going with what works smile

i will do guys

Sounds like a good plan let us know when you get it ok and if you need any help just ask smile

weedjie wrote:

i will do guys

thanks russ, i  must say you guys on chordie are the most helpful and generous people i have come across on the internet.

12 (edited by weedjie 2008-12-29 15:14:07)

right o got this bad boy 2 weeks ago. im still trying to get to grips with ryhthms and bouncing , mastering , transferring files to my pc , mixing down , adding loops etc so much to learn and execute with precision.
But i must say after an hour of reading the instructions i was off and running, creating drum patterns recording my acoustic and getting some sort of vocal down and the results are encouraging , its very intuitive, the buttons are laid out well and it has more effects than a steven speilberg film.

It has 8 tracks with the possibility for 64 virtual tracks which i cant wait to learn to use, as you could get some epic sounding tunes with lots of layers to it.
It comes with two built in condenser mics these are great but you do get a little hiss from them and they pick up just about anything,( picked up the bloke next door farting, or maybe that was me, nah mustve been the dog, smelly mutt, get out!)

Playing the acoustic through this box gives it the sound that you dream of, crisp,clear bright and bassy with jangly tones of a martin.

Plug in the leccy and wow itll blow your mind with the choice( maybe a little to many options ,but options are good)
Theres plenty of web forums to access (librivox) for help and the guys on these sites are superb and help with anything you ask.

it has a few downsides which still get on my nerves, it is shipped with no ac adaptor which i thought was a fly manouvere by roland as it cost £25 for one and the compact flash card that it comes with is only 128mb which gives you about 30 mins recording, also it will only take a 1 gb compact flash card nothing more {this gives you about 520 mins recording time}
it comes with 6 aa alkaline batteries which is good, it means you can be wireless and record any ambient sounds, outside in the street , up a mountain just about anywhere , but these batteries only last about 3-4 hours.

i defo would recommend this little pocket rocket to anyone, it cost £199 and with all the other stuff ( ac adaptor , flash card, audio leads etc)  it came to around £250 so wasnt that cheap but for the money its well spent.

I read an article on the web an this guy was a music producer back in the eighties and he reckoned the cost of equipment he would have needed to match this tiny box would have been $40000 back then, goes to show how far technology has came in twenty years ,amazing stuff.
7/10

cheers
Paul

Weedjie sounds like you will be busy getting to know this new machine but it has a lot of features to understand so thats understandable, my recorder only has the zip disks but there reusable and have several recording times available and since its digital theres no loss of sound quality if you choose to format it in the lp mode (long play) yours features a built in drum machine, mine dosen't have that feature so I use a Aleses unit,mine also dosen't have a compact flash nor is it portable (no batteries) and the virtual tracks allow you to mix and match but it will take some time learning this trick all in all you got a real deal and as soon as you get some recorded material finished let us know where we can listen to it and good luck with your new machine smile

No probs Russell  , if i need some advice can i bend your ear?

If I can be of help, anytime smile

weedjie wrote:

No probs Russell  , if i need some advice can i bend your ear?

16 (edited by antoeknee 2008-12-31 17:58:24)

I'm looking to buy the BR600 myself at the moment and its quite strange that the price in the UK is very similar everywhere.

Was in Dawsons the other day and the price is £199 so I tried to get a genuine power supply as part of the deal. They weren't interested. Now if you look round the web its the kind of deal thats available.

Obviously Dawsons aren't interested in offereing any kind of discount at all.

Any suggestions about best place to buy from would be helpful.

the cheapest i seen it was in guitar guitar in glasgow they have a website

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/multitracks.asp it cost £179 here , also i heard roland just raised

all their prices. got them on ebay for less but how can u guarantee that u dont get a brick in the

post instead.

18 (edited by weedjie 2009-01-12 19:37:30)

ok ive done one tune so far on this recorder have a listen let me know what you think,
http://uk.youtube.com/user/Idontlikebanjo

Thanks

Paul

I did like the airiness kind of feel of the music but the vidio effects were kind of in and out sorta klidascope journey thru the blood stream but overall it was very good it seems like you were going to transistion to something with a beat when the electric guitar started it would have been nice to add the ryhthm and bass at that point keeping the same sound on guitar you startedwith because it was a nice effect,overall a good effort smile

weedjie wrote:

ok ive done one tune so far on this recorder have a listen let me know what you think,
http://uk.youtube.com/user/Idontlikebanjo

Thanks

Paul

Thanks Russell, i had to make up a video so as to put it on Youtube thats why its kinda sketchy, the beats and rhythm am finding a little tricky bu i shall persevere!! cool

Just got my BR600 and need to know if it is OK to play through the machine  as: guitar lead to guitar/bass socket in and headphone socket out to amplifier .thanks.

Im not sure if you would get a good enough signal from the headphone "out" jack(socket) to the amp,more normal would be the left and right line"outs" useing a Y chord (2 rca jacks to a mono 1/8 inch jack and use a female 1/8 " to 1/4 inch guitar jack adapter and plug it in the amp smile

henryb wrote:

Just got my BR600 and need to know if it is OK to play through the machine  as: guitar lead to guitar/bass socket in and headphone socket out to amplifier .thanks.

Russell, it does work OK , I tried it because I didn,t have any other cables . and it doesn,t specify in the manual either  [unless I missed it]  henry.

Russell , I have the little line in sockets on my Marshall as50d but not on my Roland cube60 , so it would have to go in normal socket , hope this helps .

henry if it works why are you asking? if you have the 2 rca inputs in your amp you could also run from your recorders line outs to the amp,whatever works for you is ok with me lol