Topic: Left hand grip on my new Electric Guitar?

Hi, to all,
Now before anyone goes saying this should be on the Electric Forum, I have already put it

their, and recived One reply. Yet their is a question on the electric Forum which I think should

have been on this site, IE (How Old Is Everyone) it got 111 replys. Now I am Not being petty

but I felt my question was not so trival.

The question is simply I started playing Acoustic Guitars, and then I got an Eletric one for

Christmas, now when I play it my hand gets cramped and my arm feels like I have been trying

to push a car uphill with one arm. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

As for the person who posted the question  (How Old Is Everyone ) no hard feelings this post

is not directed towards you, so don't take offence.

Luck and Health to all!!!

Re: Left hand grip on my new Electric Guitar?

when does it cramp up with the electric or the acoustic, you didn't make it clear. I started on acoustic also, then I got an electric. Right away the electric was way easier to play wich was great cause once my fingers and arm got tired or hurt from playing acoustic I could play a couple more hours switching to electric. Anyway to my point, before I start playing I always do a couple of excercises nothing fancy just stretch my fingers and play some simple single note excercises then some light chord strums. Well I did that for a while till I heard on ultimate guitar forum about this little blue hand/finger excerciser. Let me tell you I bought one online through ebay for $7 bucks let me tell you my forearm is much stronger and my fingers can hold down some of those tougher bar chords that get us all and I'm swithching from normal chords to bar chords with ease. At first your arm and wrist and those fingers that aren't that strong (pinky and ring), are going to hurt but after you build a little muscle you'll notice a change, you won't be jimmy hendrix but you'll be on your way!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Hi Riverdales,  Thanks for taking the time to reply.

When I said my arm and hand hurt I ment when I was playing the Electric Guitar.

As you say it is a lot simpler to hold down the chords on the Electric, that's not the problem,

the problem is that my hand cramps and my arm feels like I have been lifting weights.

I don't understand it as I use the same left hand grip whichever guitar I play; and I play sitting

down.  I also have one of those little hand excerciser and there are great for building up the

strenght in the hands and fingers.  But unlike you I get tired playing the electric guitar and

yet I can go on to play the Acoustic Guitar, doesen't make sence?  Something is wrong; either,

with me or the way I am playing the Electric Guitar;  Go Figure?

Hi Headcase,

This is just an idea and may be completely wrong but are your guitar straps keeping both guitars at the same height on your body? The change in angle of your grip playing a guitar at a different height could be making your hand ache.

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well another thing and I notice this because I switch frequently back and forth to acoustic to electric, the strings on the acoustic are much more spread out and easier to position your fingers on. On the electric the strings are much more confined so you have to strain a little more to correctly hit the right notes or chords without touching other non chord strings. I use my acoustic mainly for strumming because of this, and my electric more for soloing and lead because your just hitting mainly single notes. Strange case!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

To Riverdales and Roger,

Many thanks for the replys, Roger I do wear the strap at the same angle, perhaps an

adjustment would be in order, Riverdales, you may have a point about the neck being a lot

more narrow than an Acustic, I only got it at Christmas, so perhaps it will take a bit of time to

get used to?  I'll soldier on in the mean time, if it hurts to much I'll stop and rest the hand and

the arm.