Topic: sound hole guard

Hello all,

I play an acoustic and have chips on the edge of the sound hole from hitting it. Is there any type of guard that can be put around the hole to protect it?

Thanks in advance

Keep playing!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: sound hole guard

Yes there are sound hole plugs but using them cuts your natural volume way down. Not much of an issue if your guitar has an active pick-up but is an issue if no amp is involved. Clear fingernail polished applied frequently to the trouble areas will be greatly reduced from the damage from "pick slapping/scraping".

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Without being rude, I would be interested in how you have managed to achieve that? I assume via a Pick, but running through my head just wondering how it would happen. Do you have a over exuberant strum?

Prevention maybe better than cure.

Alternatively you could get some of that rubber edging which you could apply just over the top.

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Thanks for the replies,

I sometimes hit it with a pick. I do alot of palm muting while strumming. I think the pick slips between the e string and the edge of the hole when I mute and so I hit the edge. I dont't strum hard at all. Somehow I'm hitting it.

The rubber edging sounds easy enough. I was maybe thininking of using a small piece of guitar binding and gluing it to the edge of the sound hole. Still looking at options though.

Thanks again!!

Keep playing!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

ApeDoctor wrote:

Without being rude, I would be interested in how you have managed to achieve that? I assume via a Pick, but running through my head just wondering how it would happen. Do you have a over exuberant strum?

Prevention maybe better than cure.

Alternatively you could get some of that rubber edging which you could apply just over the top.

You ever seen Willie Nelsons' guitar? Believe me no matter how well a guitar plays, there's always gonna be signs of wear , unless one is delegating their playing time to 20 ,30, 40 or more guitars......

Give everything but up.

You know I had a loot at my own sound hole (sounds a bit rude) and I noticed that I actually have a few scrapes and marks.

I apolagise for the remarks!

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!