Topic: Vibrato exercise?

I'm curious as to how to improve my vibrato technique ... anyone have any ideas?  Is it just simply practicing moving your wrist or do you move your finger and wrist?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Vibrato exercise?

I really need to improve mine too...especially for my soloing technique (or lack there of).

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

*and the crickets chirp*  anyone?

Line6 SpiderIII 75

Hey, have you ever seen Jeff Beck, and the way he works the wammy, the volume, the tone, AND fingerpicks... all at the same time? Thats how its done! If you have a chance to see the Eric Clapton crossroads fest DVD, it shows it really well.

Wait a minute! Les Pauls don't have a wammy. So your probably talking about with your fretting hand. I don't know if there is a "proper" way. B.B. King kinda shakes his whole hand using the side of his first finger kinda as a fulcrum, But I've seen plenty of people who just move a single finger up and down. So I guess its another one of those gray areas.

Hey Les ,
   I use the same technique on the guitar as I use on the fiddle ... Pivot at the wrist and simpy roll the finger back and forth on the string you're fretting ... Just have to have the finger almost over the fret to get effect ... Works for me ... If you get a chance to watch a fiddle player do this , you'll get the idea ... Hope this helps ....
           Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Ahhh ok now I'm understanding ... I was thinking you had to "push" the string side-to-side to get that effect ... that makes a heck of a lot more sense

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I'm a pure beginner, but Justin does a great job with the basics here.

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-008-Vibrato.php

When I do a vocal vibrato i have my wife grab me by the shoulders and shake me.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Practice with a metronome; set it to 60 bpm to start, and do one vibrato "cycle" every two beats (bend it up and back down).  Work your  speed up gradually to one cycle each beat, and then start shortening the beats (80 bpm, 100 bpm).  When you're comfortable at 100, drop the metronome back to 60 and do eigths, working your way back up; then do the same for 16ths.

After you get good (16th's at 120 bpm, say) try adding some vibrato on top of your bends...

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

The King of Vibrato is BB King. Watch his "The Thrill is Gone" and you will see why.
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr