Topic: 6-STRING BANJO

hi everyone,

it's been a while since i've been on here - i lost my password - but it's good to be back.

hope someone might help me out. i'm a guitar player but just bought my girlfriend a 6 string banjo for her birthday.

while i was at it i was looking at a good banjo book but i hadn't heardof any of the songs so i just bought an acoustic guitar book.

the guy in the shop hadn't a clue if it'd work for banjo but surely if it has 6 strings and is tuned the same as a guitar, it is the same to play?

can anyone reassure me?

Cheers all!

Re: 6-STRING BANJO

Try it- let us know. I'm dying to know myself

Bro,

any song can be played on any instrument. The notes are the same no matter what they are played on. What songs are you trying? Some songs are admittedly more appropriate for some instruments than for others. I'm interested cause i've thought of getting the same thing.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Yes, You play a 6 string banjo as you would play a guitar. The chords are the same.
I thought that my 6 string banjo didn't like the low E string (thickest) so I've replaced it with another high E string (thinest)  Stick to light strings as thicker strings tend to sound dull. I have Ernie Ball extra slinky electric guitar strings on at the moment and it really gives you a good "banjo" sound.
They are fun to play and it's an easy option for a guitar player.
Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

the six string has a great sound but strumming it like a guitar looses something! work hard to get a foward and backward roll going gives a great sound and then pick up your guitar and try it sounds great there also.  i earned my first dollar while practiceing at my wifes garage sale :<D a buck is a buck

always pickin someting

hi me again just to let you know i took my 6 string to wheatland  music festable last weekend  and had a blast whith it  and so did a ton of friends also some crash dobro lessons

always pickin someting