Topic: THE BEST SONG EVER

You can make different categories like:
1) ballad
2) hard rock
3) blues
4) R&B
and also the lyrics, production, arrangements.
I have 2 songs
1) IMAGINE by JOHN LENNON (I feel that song even after hearing it so many times, in my heart)
2) BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY by QUEEN: impossible to believe that such a song was composed and recorded in the 70ties. That song has it all: ballad, hard rock, harmony, arrangements.

WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE BEST SONG EVER

Classic Hard Rock - Magic Carpet Ride, or the slight possibility of Magic Bus

Minor Blues - D*** Right I've Got the Blues (sorry B.B. - you're still the king of minor blues, but Buddy Guy wins for the best song)

Pop - Coudburst by Barry Manilow (I know, Barry Manilow, who'd have thought it?)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Nothing else Matters - Metallica

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Hopefully the next song I compose lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

For me it has to be this:

If My Heart Had Wings - Amy Sky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4xi_wy13Yc

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Ballad - Springhill Disaster , Men of the Deeps

Hard Rock - Detriot Rock City , KISS

Blues - D*** right I got the Blues , Buddy Guy  [with Zurf on that one]

R&B - Heard it thru the grape vine , Marvin Gay.

my cent worth..  Badeye  cool

one caper after another

7 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2009-02-11 14:45:03)

Ballad - "One" by U2
Hard Rock - "Stairway to Heaven " by Led Zep
Blues - "Pride and Joy" by SRV
R&B - "Heard It Through the Grape Vine" by Marvin Gay
Country - "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash  (Honorable mention goes to "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw)

Thought I'd throw another category in there tongue

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Song about nothing - Hangin' Around by Counting Crows

Meaningless sex song - LaGrange by ZZ Top, possible tie with Hello, I Love You by the Doors but I think ZZ nudges out The Doors because of the beards and the spinning guitars. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Meaningless sex song - LaGrange by ZZ Top, possible tie with Hello, I Love You by the Doors but I think ZZ nudges out The Doors because of the beards and the spinning guitars. 

- Zurf

I still can't understand half of what Billy Gibbons is saying in that song neutral

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Anti-organized religion song-
Dear God by XTC, Imagine by John Lennon, Love is My Religion by Ziggy Marley(tie)

Rodeo/Marriage/X-treme sport athlete song-
If You're Gonna Be Dumb Then You Gotta Be Tough by Roger Alan Wade

Sexy time song-
Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye, Dinah Moe Humm by Frank Zappa, Why Don't We Do It In The Road by The Beatles(tie)

Human Tragedy song-
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot   

LSD song-
Horse With No Name by America

Hippy Lettuce song-
Mrs. Robinson by Simon and Garfunkel, Burn One Down by Ben Harper, Smoke Two Joints by Jimmy Cliff/Sublime(tie)

TV Theme-
Munstersby Jack Marshall, Sanford and Son(Streetbeater) by Quincy Jones(tie)

Break up, or it's pretty much over song-
It's Hard to Kiss Those Lips at Night That Chew Your A** Out All Day Long by The Notorious Cherry Bombs

Moonshine song-
Copperhead Road by Steve Earle

Beer song-
I Like Beer by Tom T. Hall

Male Runway model song-
I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred

Gambling song-
Do It Again by Steeley Dan, The Gambler by Kenny Rogers(tie)

Rock Instrumental-
Jessica by The Allman Brothers, For The Love of God by Steve Vai(tie)

Give everything but up.

LesPaulGuy wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

I still can't understand half of what Billy Gibbons is saying in that song neutral

What do you need to hear other than "hauw hauw hauw hauw"?   That gets the point across. 

- Zurf

two little boys by rolf harris

and for a love song I got to agree with Bob Dylan's choice for favourite love songs

My love is like a red red rose by Robert Burns.

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I've been around so long I don't have a favorite song and I can't tell you what the prettiest car I've seen is or who the prettiest woman is that I've seen but high on my list of favorite love songs would be "All I Need is The Air That I Breath".

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

i have so many favourite songs many of which have been named;

imagine, woman and how do you sleep..lennon

owner of a broken heart, the ladder, anything from "house of blues CD "...yes

anything from the beatles

anything from rumours by fleetwood mac

anything by queen specially scandal and these are the days of our lives

anything by jethro tull

another brick in the wall...pink floyd

anything by russel harding

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Ahhh   Anything by Rolf Harris ... with you there Ken

Oh those Stylaphone licks .. lol

And to think no one has mentioned a little tune EVERYONE has played with their fingers an just about any surface available.

Wipe Out!!!!!!

Nela

17 (edited by 06sc500 2009-02-14 02:48:08)

Hard Rock: Tie between Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen
Hard Rock/Early Metal: Tie between Back In Black and Thunderstruck by AC/DC
Southern Rock: Free Bird-Lynyrd Skynyrd
Early Rock: Johnny B. Goode-Chuck Berry
Electric Blues: Texas Flood-SRV
Acoustic Blues: Lonely Stranger-Eric Clapton
Electric Guitar Solo: Cliffs Of Dover-Eric Johnson
Acoustic Guitar Solo: Song For Life-Eric Johnson
Country/Rock: Walk The Line-Johnny Cash
Modern Country: Feels Like Today-Rascal Flatts
Folk: Rocky Mountain High-John Denver
Rock Ballad: Layla-Eric Clapton
Acoustic Rock Ballad: Tears In Heaven-Clapton
Christian Rock: Rebirthing-Skillet
Alternative Rock: Wake Me Up When September Ends-Green Day
80's Metal/Hard Rock: Tie between Crazy Train by Ozzy Osbourne and Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions
80's Rock Ballad: Tie between Babe by Styx and Sweet Child O'Mine by Guns N' Roses
American Rock-Hotel California-The Eagles
British Rock: Hey Jude-The Beatles

Gosh, can't think of any more genres here...

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan - Easy enough for me to play and easy to sound at least OK when I sing

Excepting Rascal Flatts' Feels Like Today, it's hard to argue with 06sc500's picks.  For Modern Country, I'd probably go with Troubador by George Straight, or possibly Long Black Train by Josh Turner. 

John Denver music is in a category that I call Sissified 70's Folk/Pop.  It is my favorite category of music, despite that disparaging sounding name.  My favorite John Denver is the one's name I can never remember but starts out "Almost heaven, West Virginia.  Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River."  I'm biased having hiked all over the Blue Ridge and paddling and fishing the Shenandoah River.  James Taylor's Walking Man is an excellent song in this category, as is Don Quixote by Gordon Lightfoot.  Shoot, about anything from John Denver, James Taylor, or Gordon Lightfoot.  And let's throw Cat Stevens in there too for good measure and to make the UK brothers and sisters feel welcome. 

- Zurf

I've been asked many times what my favourite record was but always managed never to be pinned down. All music is good music I used to say.

Then I thought about it and found alot of music is crap!

The best of all time.........All or nothing by the Small faces.

If you wish to discuss, the entry fee to my place is a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Zurf wrote:

Excepting Rascal Flatts' Feels Like Today, it's hard to argue with 06sc500's picks.  For Modern Country, I'd probably go with Troubador by George Straight, or possibly Long Black Train by Josh Turner. 

John Denver music is in a category that I call Sissified 70's Folk/Pop.  It is my favorite category of music, despite that disparaging sounding name.  My favorite John Denver is the one's name I can never remember but starts out "Almost heaven, West Virginia.  Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River."  I'm biased having hiked all over the Blue Ridge and paddling and fishing the Shenandoah River.  James Taylor's Walking Man is an excellent song in this category, as is Don Quixote by Gordon Lightfoot.  Shoot, about anything from John Denver, James Taylor, or Gordon Lightfoot.  And let's throw Cat Stevens in there too for good measure and to make the UK brothers and sisters feel welcome. 

- Zurf

It's hard to place him in any genre-kind of a mix of country, folk, and pop, but nevertheless I think that he was good at whatever style of music it was that he played...I believe you're thinking of "Take Me Home, Country Roads".

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

It's hard to place him in any genre-kind of a mix of country, folk, and pop, but nevertheless I think that he was good at whatever style of music it was that he played...I believe you're thinking of "Take Me Home, Country Roads".

That's the song.  But it's not hard to place him in a genre.  He's in Sissified 70's Folk/Pop.  I'll agree that it's hard to place him into a genre that's not made up. 

- Zurf

blues, guy davis: run, molly, run
classic rock: led zep, the wanton song
spanish: los lobos, cancion del marichie
folk: leadbelly, midnight special
frank zappa deserves his own catergorie: my guitar wants to kill your mamma
death metal: slayer reign in blood

i made up some of my own catergories, hope thats okay.
this list is never ending. too hard to choose

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Here's a made-up category that I feel deserves some recognition.  I call it: "Too much fun with a whammy bar.
I say it's a tie between Herman Li on Dragonforce's "Through The Fire And The Flames" and Steve Vai's "Bad Horsie".

Switchfoot

i think jimmie hendrix liked the whammy bar a little to much, he's still the man though

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat