1 (edited by 25Frankster 2009-02-11 17:45:35)

Topic: EvanescenceTone

So I'm playing Bring Me to Life, and I can't quite get the tone right.  Playing my Epi LP, pickup switch in center position, thru a Boss Metal Zone II.  Playing thru a Hughes & Kettner, clean channel...I'm getting my gain from the box...all my settings are pretty much 5....
Anyway, it sounds good, but not quite like the CD...their sound is heavy, big sustain, but I don't hear it as real heavy gain where the tone gets muddy & indistinct...but it's a real heavy tone....
Anyway--any idea's other than getting a marshall half stack or switching out my pick-up's?
Thanx!

2 (edited by Edgefan 2009-02-12 14:57:06)

Re: EvanescenceTone

Hi 25Frankster,
What's the volume on your guitar set at?  Try rolling it back to three or four and increase the volume on the amp way up.  This always helps me with sustain and takes a little of the muddiness out.
Later,
Jim

they could be useing an octave effect which gives both high and low notes together added with some overdrive compressed sustain and a little delay the boss ME-50 calls it a harmonist setting on the modulation effect smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

25Frankster wrote:

So I'm playing Bring Me to Life, and I can't quite get the tone right.  Playing my Epi LP, pickup switch in center position, thru a Boss Metal Zone II.  Playing thru a Hughes & Kettner, clean channel...I'm getting my gain from the box...all my settings are pretty much 5....
Anyway, it sounds good, but not quite like the CD...their sound is heavy, big sustain, but I don't hear it as real heavy gain where the tone gets muddy & indistinct...but it's a real heavy tone....
Anyway--any idea's other than getting a marshall half stack or switching out my pick-up's?
Thanx!

“ I use Ibanez guitars. In the studio, I kind of use a similar setup to what I used on the last Cold record I did, which is mix up the amps and combine the sound together. It’s a Diezel and a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and mixed that for one side. Then I took a Bogner and a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier on the other side. I combined it and made one big wall of metal!
Right now on tour I’m using T.C. Electronics, the G-System.
†
—Terry Balsamo evanescence guitarist,

Give everything but up.

thanx for the info--
I scooped out the mids, cranked the bass, and torked the treble to 7 ish, Jim, added in your sugestion and it's a pretty solid tone...I cranked it up pretty good and I got the "there are other people in the house!" from my lovely wife...guess she doesn't appreciate my new signature sound.

25Frankster wrote:

thanx for the info--
I scooped out the mids, cranked the bass, and torked the treble to 7 ish, Jim, added in your sugestion and it's a pretty solid tone...I cranked it up pretty good and I got the "there are other people in the house!" from my lovely wife...guess she doesn't appreciate my new signature sound.

Bose headphones= problem solved

Give everything but up.

25Frankster wrote:

thanx for the info--

I have the same problem...I always threaten her with "you won't be allowed to be a groupie". It never works but makes her laugh.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello