Topic: Progressing as a Learner.

As a self learner, I'm finding it difficult to assess when to move on to the next stage.

Its only been 6 weeks and I practice at least 1 hour per day and since I started there hasn't been a day I haven't done at least an hour, I guess I average about 2 hours a day and I think I've progreesed well in that time.

I am at the point where I can play about 6 basic songs pretty good and about another 10 ok.  I just DDDD strum with open chords, I do practice a few barr chords and there are a few parts in certain songs I can strum a few basic paterns.  The speed is getting quicker, I usually miss a few chords in every song but all in all I'm well satisified. I think I still need a few more weeks to perfect things and put all the songs together (intro's and bridges etc).

Whats the next step though?

- Do I continue with the DDDD until I can play the 6 songs absolutely perfectly
- Do I add a few more songs to the 6
- Do I start to develop Barr Chords
- Do I start to develop strumming paterns
- Do I do all the above?

It's difficult to assess, whatever I do next will take me a few steps backwards so I'm keen to get it right. Is there a progression route that absolute beginers like me should adhere to?

Cheers
Crevs

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Progressing as a Learner.

I don't believe there is any "progression route". Each person learns at a different pace and assimilates knowledge differently. Continue on the way you're going and be sure to listen to the songs you're trying to learn. I'll listen to a song anywhere from 4 to maybe as many as 20 times depending on how hard it is to pick out the part I'm working on.Keep adding new challenges for yourself but make sure you don't get discouraged if they don't come easily. There are tons of sites out there to give you basic knowledge but you can't beat hard work and dedication. Keep on practicing.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Just play.

You do need to practice, but you also need to play.  The difference between practice and playing is that practice is intentional, methodical, and designed to build and develop specific skills or knowledge.  Playing is supposed to be fun, and supposed to be music.  Take your practice seriously, but not your playing.  You should 'play' from the first time you pick up your guitar.  If all you've done is practice skills so far, what you need to do a little bit of is just play.

Don't worry about progression.  Everyone moves at different paces and in different directions. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You obviously know what you need to work on.  There are no hard and fast rules as far as what to work on when; choose one or two things from your list, and spend a few minutes each day working on those things.  Every few weeks, add something else to your list.  I have found that there are more things to practice than there are hours in the day; too much to ever get bored with.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Crevs - a couple things to focus on.  Zurf's right...practice or play, but they're not the same.  I try to spend a bit of practice time on learning a new song, a bit on scales or riffs or similar "exercises", and a bit on just improvising.  See that some of these practice moves are aimed at your pick/strum hand and some aimed at your fret hand. 

Be careful not to get too stuck on one strum pattern.  A common mistake is for all your songs to sound the same if you don't focus a bit on strum technique.  You can mix it up by picking songs from different genre's or one's with an arpeggio pick pattern.

Hope this helps and let us know how it comes along.

Steve

If you can play six songs, intro, bridges, and all, it sounds to me like your ready to jam with somebody. That person can help you assess where your playing is and what you need to focus on. That person can also show you the six songs he knows. Seeing someone play a song up close and personal can rapidly speed your learning curve. The other thing I would recommend is record yourself playing that way you can critique your own playing.

Hi Crevs,

yes to all !

Enjoy!!

Looks like you all agree there is no "formal" route to progress but you all say the same thing? smile

Great stuff, just what I was looking for!

cheers

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000