Topic: Old Guitar

Just got a gift from my sister, a 1977 Hondo acoustic, a remake of a Gibsom Hummingbird. New strings and a set up and it sounds sweet. Nice even mellow tone. Can't put it down.

Badeye cool

one caper after another

Re: Old Guitar

Congrats! A lot of those older copys were real gems!!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks, Guitarpix. I've abandoned Barre Chords on my fender acoustic cause they were just too hard, but this
Hondo they play very easy and gives me hope of playing barres with no effort. Hey it raining here, a good practice day.

Take Care.. Badeye cool

one caper after another

Hi Badeye  ... I got an old Ibanez copy of a humming bird over 30 yrs old like yours
                     sounds real deep and sweet...they only made them for a short time as
                     Gibson filed a law suit on them... lol

Nice.  New guitars are a great way to encourage practice.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

very true.

one caper after another

As are new strings, Zurf. Gates of heaven, you might say. Inadvertently broke the G today, and put a new set of Martin .13s on my guitar. Heaven, for sure.

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

Hey Badeye ....
   Sweeeeet ... Boy , nothin like a new ( old ) guitar to spend a rainy day with ....
   Take care ....
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Flatpicker 55 wrote:

Hi Badeye  ... I got an old Ibanez copy of a humming bird over 30 yrs old like yours
                     sounds real deep and sweet...they only made them for a short time as
                     Gibson filed a law suit on them... lol

Hi Flatpicker, I looked for info on this Hondo, and Gibson also had a dispute with said company and bought em out because Hondo was giving them real good competition in the acoustic field. I must say it plays with such ease and the sound is very mellow. The neck is very thick but one adjusts to it.

Take Care.... Badeye  cool

one caper after another

10 (edited by ApeDoctor 2009-02-20 13:05:57)

badeye wrote:

Just got a gift from my sister, a 1977 Hondo acoustic, a remake of a Gibsom Hummingbird. New strings and a set up and it sounds sweet. Nice even mellow tone. Can't put it down.

Badeye cool

Is it the black one?

If so I'm insanely jealous, I've been looking for one of those for a while.

I came across one at an old car boot sale, and not a day goes by I wish I didn't buy it. Looked good, sounded really good, just didn't have the cash on me sad

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

ApeDoctor wrote:
badeye wrote:

Badeye cool

Is it the black one?

It's the Hummungbird model, like a red sunburst.with white inlay.

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:
ApeDoctor wrote:
badeye wrote:

Badeye cool

Is it the black one?

Badeye.. cool

Ah I see, its one like :

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/328688/b … oustic-gu/

That I crave.

Hope you enjoy it!

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

ApeDoctor wrote:
badeye wrote:
ApeDoctor wrote:

Is it the black one?

Badeye.. cool

Ah I see, its one like :

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/328688/b … oustic-gu/

That I crave.

Hope you enjoy it!

Thats the one, mine was made in 1977 and was a steal at 50 bucks canadian in a pawn shop.
appearently the owner had died and his widow got rid of all  his old guitars the pawn shop way.
gotta like pawn shops.   cool..   Badeye.

one caper after another

My main guitar is a '78 Hohner HG-30. Picked it up for $219 (included a brand new hard-shell case). Looks like a Martin D-45 w/ a D-35 three piece back. Plays like a gem. I'd have to pay at least $2000 for a guitar of comparable tone and playability, so it will never get sold.