Topic: Help,with strumming is here!

Hello all, I did this video, mostly cause I think alot of players have trouble with strumming and I think "For What It's Worth" is a good song to really feel the pattern. I hope this helps some of the folks that are having trouble or looking for a different pattern.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdojWLFIWeo

Later, Wayne P

Re: Help,with strumming is here!

Great job wayne! - this pattern works on many, many songs. Thanks for sharing the vid and helping with this FAQ. For the noobies, a numerical interpretation:

The holy grail of beginning strumming, the Folk Strum Pattern:

D    D U    U D U
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

3 (edited by wlbaye 2009-02-09 00:51:44)

Hey Tops, I just thought it comes up so frequently and most the time we refer them to some other site.Why not try and make it easy and help them here.I am gonna do a simple alternating bass G C D progression without any walkdowns or hammerons,just a simple strum pattern so some of our newbies can play along with country or bluegrass.
   I have been helping a friend that is locked into fingerpicking and is lost when it comes to strumming so I am going back to basics and you forget sometimes what its like,so I'm trying to help out.

Thank You,For the numerical explanation

Later, Wayne P

Awesome idea Wlbaye,

This should be very helpful to us beginners. What I really need (I'm sure I'm not the only one) is strumming patterns for each song I want to learn. I can't listen to a song and get what I need out of it. It gets very discouraging trying to do that. Your video is what I need for each song. I spend alot of time on youtube looking for lessons.

Anyway thanks for thinking of us noobs.

Keep Rockin'!!!!!!!!!!!11

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

Awesome idea Wlbaye,

This should be very helpful to us beginners. What I really need (I'm sure I'm not the only one) is strumming patterns for each song I want to learn.

Im also a newbie and its prob available somewhere but in the songbooks it woud be helpful to have the strum patterns as well as everything else or someone start a thread where its totally songs with the strum patterns.  If this is available already please let us know. 

Keep the music coming, its keeping me relaxed and saine...

Bimmam

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now or then...

Hello All, I will have some time this week and will put up a couple more strumming videos. I will put up a basic country and bluegrass strum pattern with an alternating bass line and some other basics.
        When you get a few different strums down you will have a good idea on how to attack a song when you hear it,trust me it will come to you.
        Then after the strumming we are gonna learn a basic picking pattern,that will follow an alternating bass line similar to the bluegrass strum only we will fingerpick.
      I'm not a teacher or full of musical theory,I just remember that getting into the swing of the song isn't gonna happen if you don't know how to attack it.
     So get your guitar and strum along!

Later, Wayne P

Hey wlbaye,just watched your strum lesson on utube "for what its worth" brilliant buddy!!well done,when you have time any chance of some more lessons on here?p.s you wouldnt mind flying over to wolverhampton in the u.k and giving me some one to one lessons would you???ha ha,i wish.
                                                rallyman(59yr old newbie)

Hey Rallyman,
      I come up with a job this week and didn't get time to put up the ones I have been planning but hopefully this week I will get time I have some ideas that you will probably like.
    I am far from being a guitar instructor and not a very good player,but I would like to share what I can do,I am glad you liked it. Let me know what you would like and I will try to address it with a video.

Later, Wayne P

Hiya Wayne,i must admit i have been a bob dylan fan for over 40 yrs,so if you could ,i would like to be able to learn how to strum Blowing in the wind etc.But any easy strum tunes from your repertoire but be gratefully accepted by as a struggling newbie.

regards
                                                  Steve G

10 (edited by wlbaye 2009-02-28 21:23:48)

Hello again,I will put that one up for you, I play a lot of Bob Dylan but I fingerpick most of his stuff but it's no problem I will get that one posted I will go through the chords and strum pattern before i go into the song,do you have a good grasp of your basic chords,if so we'll take it slow and go for it.

Do you play with a pic or without I will do it however you would like.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wilbaye,

That weas a lot of help. looking forward to other patters for other songs, thanks again!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Steve,

Here you go hope this helps.     www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsfQqVRIS60

Later, Wayne P

Hiya Wayne,you are a star buddy.thanks for putting the lesson up on utube,as we say in wolverhampton "ITS BOSTIN".Sorry i missed your posting last night,i do have a good grasp on basic chords,i also use the pick.Once again a big thanks to you for your time.
                                                          Best Regards
                                                          Steve G

Hello Steve,
  You are welcome, I can still remember the days before all the internet sources and youtube.I was living in rural america,with no help around,if you need anymore tips let me know.
       I normally capo that one so I can sing in a different key,but I wanted to keep the neck of my guitar uncluttered so you could see the whole neck.So the singing is bad,but what the heck.

Later, Wayne P

Hi Wayne,once i get the hang of blowing in the wind ,i will be wanting your help on dont think twice.IE your picking pattern etc.ps dont put your voice down.i have watched all your 11 utube vids today,i wish i could sing as good as you buddy.
                                                    regards
                                                    Steve

16 (edited by wlbaye 2009-03-06 02:00:05)

I had a request for a picking pattern for Blowing In The Wind     here it is    www.youtube.com/watch?v=zavTJBRBFWU

A basic country strum pattern  www.youtube.com/watch?v=buJcBwx8DnY

Previous --- For What Its Worth    Strum Pattern    www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdojWlFIweo

Previous ---Blowin In The Wind    Strum Pattern     www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsfQqVRIS60

Later, Wayne P

Cheers Wayne,thanks for more tuition videos.

regards

Steve