Topic: What was your first song?

Hello everybody! From time to time people ask for easy songs to learn. Usually they are referred to the Public books, which is a good source of easy songs. I thought maybe an easier way to phrase the question, might be to ask people what was the first song they learned to play. Mine was Blowin' in the Wind by Bob Dylan. Anyone care to share their first song?

Temple

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Re: What was your first song?

"Dark as a Dungeon" by Tennnesse Earnie Ford, and "Daisy a Day" by Roy Clark were my first songs learned.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Honky Tonk  or maybe Ghost Riders in The Sky.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

who'll stop the rain-CCR A great song for any beginning guitarist

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

My first one was an old Ventures tune..."Apache" Still play it to this day...Yea, I know..I'm dating my age!

Still one of my favorites to play - "Forever and Ever Amen" by Randy Travis. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I haven't been learning long so it's not difficult to remember.  Knocking on Heavens Door - Bob Dylan was the first one I learned to strum to but the first song I played and thought "yeh man, I suppose I can play!" was Latest Flame - Elvis.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

The first song a learn't to play was "Green sleeves" picking.
As opposed to just strumming song chords and howling smile
Ark

My first was " Where have all the Flowers Gone " , ( Peter , Paul and Mary ) ....
  Hey Arkady , Greenleeves is a tune that will always be dear to me .. Once in a while at jams I will do an instrumental picking version of it ... A long time ago I also recorded an instrumental version but on that recording I played guitar ( picking ) and then I also added violin and viola parts to it ... Just always loved that tune ....
             Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

My first 4 string, plastic guitar had a song book with it and the first song I learnt from it was 'Home On The Range' which I understand is the state song for Kansas.

For a laugh, check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roger_guppy/3307436750/

lol lol lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Everyone could do the "smoke on the water"riff, so I borrowed a book from the library in 1977 and "cracked" the chords for the song "On Top of Ol Smokey"

Roger Guppy wrote:

My first 4 string, plastic guitar had a song book with it and the first song I learnt from it was 'Home On The Range' which I understand is the state song for Kansas.

For a laugh, check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/roger_guppy/3307436750/

lol lol lol

Roger

Now that was very cool! You should consider using this photograph as the cover for your next CD. I think it'd be awesome!!! What is Colin up to these days?

Peace and Guitars,
Toney

Give everything but up.

Yes Roger, Southpaw is right, that would make a great cover.

Badeye..  cool

one caper after another

14 (edited by Zurf 2009-02-24 21:12:49)

arkady wrote:

As opposed to just strumming song chords and howling smile
Ark

Oh.  Then I don't play any songs...
big_smile

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

15 (edited by arkady 2009-02-24 22:03:36)

G S E wrote:

Hey Arkady , Greenleeves is a tune that will always be dear to me .. Once in a while at jams I will do an instrumental picking version of it ... A long time ago I also recorded an instrumental version but on that recording I played guitar ( picking ) and then I also added violin and viola parts to it ... Just always loved that tune ....
             Jerry

Hi jerry
Your rendition of Greensleeves sounds like it could be really nice. Any chance of getting it up on myspace or somewhere simular so we could have a listen...

Zurf wrote:

Oh.  Then I don't play any songs...

Zurf
This howling is purely a personal thing smile
Ark

SouthPaw41L wrote:

What is Colin up to these days?

Peace and Guitars,
Toney

My brother Colin runs his own business 'Stuntworld' - a motorcycle and car stunt display team and holds several world records. He is crazier than I lol.

Apologies for going off thread.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

come as you are, nirvana.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

18 (edited by tchirotay 2009-02-25 06:21:21)

My first song was by the Eagles named "Tequila Sunrise" It was 1976 I had made up my ming that I was going to learn to play the guitar because my friend I was rooming with at the time had a Gibson Heritage standing there and he said "you can play that antime I'm not." and he showed me 7 basic cords. I stumbled through it and forced it on everyone, one year later I smashed the end of my middle finger off on the fretting  hand and was out of comission for about six months they grafted skin from the front of my elbow on to it and it actually grew and still grows a few hairs on it. But that damned thing never did callus. So I took what I knew and played the best I could, some cords especially bar chords were extremely painfull but I learned alternate ways of playing certain songs and it wasn't until about a month ago, 31 years later, when I cut one of my other fingers and someone said "here trust me let me to put some super glue on it". And that glue held that cut together for 3 days. So I thought I'm going to try it on my skin grafted finger and  found that I could put a small drop of super glue on the graff and play and it didn't hurt so bad. Then I thought I would just super glue a small piece of cardboard on to it then trim it down with finger nails clippers and wow it dosen't hurt at all. Now I can play the bar cords without any pain AT ALL and I just leaned "Desperado" by the eagles and it is pretty darn close. and after 31 years of playing and thousands of attempts to get Tequila Runrise just right,  it is prrety close too, well It will never be exact but I keep trying to make it exact. I actually started playing a 12 string about 25 years ago because it felt better on my skin grafted finger. So anyone out there thinking you can't make your fingers endure the pain of developing caluses. Just have a dream about being able to play your favorite song and get some super glue.   

Great story huh?

I just moved back to Alaska near the area where my buddy and I used to room and he is gone for the winter and I haven't seen him in twenty nine years. I heard he is still playing too. So can't wait to jam with him when he gets back..

Yes it is a great story.  Here I thought duct tape and WD-40 fixed everything, but now I learn that Super-Glue is needed in case of surgery.  smile

My first song on guitar was "B Bop Alula" by Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps(nice shorts Roger) lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

My first song was Amazing Grace. I played it in lead form for years before i learned the chords. I learned it by ear. Since then i have learned to improvise and add a little more to it to zing it up. It's still one of my favorites. smile

a7x - afterlife

23 (edited by oridgemusic 2009-02-26 06:19:35)

My 1st song was' Peaceful Easy Feeling' by the Eagles when it 1st came out. Man am I getting old!

Why put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow?

In the 60's I got a job as guitarist with a drummer, bass player and steel guitarist in a Mobile, Alabama country/western bar.
They needed help with lead singing.
My first song I ever tried to lead sing was "Crying" by Roy Orbison.
I thought the song was very difficult. I was right. roll
Any tune by Roy Orbison gets you singing up so high your testacles wind up in your watch pocket.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

"El Paso" When I was 12.... My teachers favorite song smile I hated it at the time but enjoy playing it now!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]