Topic: $148 in-store credit? Not worth it

Musicians Friend offered me $148 in-store credit for my guitar, which I've described before, and I've been told it's worth around $225+ (I've looked online at used ones for sale, and found out the same for myself).  Should I just list it on Ebay instead?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: $148 in-store credit? Not worth it

06sc500 wrote:

Musicians Friend offered me $148 in-store credit for my guitar, which I've described before, and I've been told it's worth around $225+ (I've looked online at used ones for sale, and found out the same for myself).  Should I just list it on Ebay instead?

Take a photo of your guitar, place photo on some fliers with your contact # on it, take it to your local music stores and place your ad on the 'for sale' bulletin board. I've never been to a music store, anyplace, anywhere, that doesn't have a 'for sale' area. Ask your fair share for your instrument, it's worth a try at least..........

Give everything but up.

I'd stop by and try here http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … y.php?f=17 It's an acoustic forum but electrics sell there as well. I've had really pleasant dealings through them. Put it there and on Craigslist first then move to ebay last.. The first 2 are free and will probably yield a better profit. I've bought and sold 50+ guitars on ebay and overall it's been good experiences but it does favor the buyer over the seller. Especially now that they've raised their fee's again. If you go ebay, you give 10% to them and then have to deal with shipping and scammers. If you don't have allot of good feedback from selling you'll usually take a hit on your first few sales , as no one trusts you yet. Also ,on the forum I gave you a link to, you could offer it as a partial trade for a step up acoustic and see what kind of offers you get. Just my thought's... -Pix

It'd be nice to have a classifieds section here on Chordie... hint ,hint... wink

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks much!

Switchfoot

What you want to sell something for and what someone wants to for that itwm is completely diffetent. Musican's Firends just do not need another used guitar but are willing to take it against you purchasing something new from them. They have to make a profit not only on what they are willing to sell you but they will need to make a profit saling your old guitar. My advice would be to try and sell your guitar, yourself. Take some photo's, write out some flyers and post them in as many places as possible. I'll bet you can sell quickly and even get a little more money, this way.

nela

Good advice NELA! Wished I'd a thought of that..........(hahahehehe)

Give everything but up.

Whatever you do .... do NOT take it to a Pawn shop!  You will get ripped off!

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Any shop taking a trade in anywhere for anything will need to 'buy' it in at a low enough price so that they can make a profit when they sell it on.  Of course this means that you won't get what the item is worth.

The question is if youare prepared to put the work in to sell the item at it's true value.    That's a question only you can answer!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

more than likely you will always get more  bucks if you try to sell the guitar yourself than you will  trading them or  getting"instore credit"...and yes DO NOT go to Pawn Shops...

Yep, I sold it via Craigslist back in November to a guy in North Carolina.  I got what I wanted, $300 for it.  Now I'm the proud owner of a beautiful flame-top Ibanez RG.  I wish I could have kept the Dano, but I wanted a new guitar, and I didn't have the money to be buying a new one without selling it.

Switchfoot

Congrats 06 ... I've been trying to sell my PRS Custom for months now but I REFUSE to pawn it

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I had an opposite experience.
I bought a Martin D-45V at Gruhn's guitar store.
Here in Belgium, in my regular store, they offered me 5000$ + 75% = 7500$.
Probably most stores don't have this guitar in stock because the "major league"guitars are no sold every week, or months. They had a customer who ordered there a 45V, I didn't sell because it is my best guitar (with the Gibson SJ-200 Montana Gold, and my hummingbird).
A DILEMMA:
I have an original USA Fender stratocaster from 1964.
I have also that book about prices for guitars. What is the value of these guitars?
In 2006: 10.000$
In 2007: 15.000$
In 2008: 20.000$
In 2009: between 25.000 - 27.000$
I had the luck to buy this from someone who needed money and me, working back then as medical doc 80 hours a week, was anle to buy the strat from 1964 and as extra bonus I got a Gibson Les Paul Custom and also from 1968 the first year they started to make them again and so I paid 5000$ for both guitars. It is a lot of money, indeed, but working so hard + the amount of money I received for my car crash, I believe I did a great business, having now 2 guitars worth a fortune today.
I am thinking a lot to sell that strat, but on the other hand, looking to the price every year, I prefer to keep this guitar, even knowing that she is in good hands now (my daughter).
WOULD YOU SELL THE STRATOCASTER 1964?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Yep, ignore the shops and focus on selling it personally.

The local music shops and pawn shops tried to rape me today on selling my Agile Silverburst Les Paul.

Put the same guitar up on Craigslist and not 3 minutes later...got the offer I wanted.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

If I ever am selling anything ever again (not just guitars...) it's going to be via Craigslist.

Switchfoot