Re: Snow in March!

Songsterman wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

We got 24 inches of snow a week ago.  Today we got about 8 inches.  We're getting about a storm a week.  Of course in Maine, March isn't called "The Cruelest Month" for nothing.  <sigh> 

Cabin Fever has got me good and that's real bad.  <sigh>

Is it true what my friend told me, that down East you have 5 seasons? What would be the 5th one?

Pot hole season, where car repairs are the norm.

Badeye   cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:
Songsterman wrote:
ozymandias wrote:

We got 24 inches of snow a week ago.  Today we got about 8 inches.  We're getting about a storm a week.  Of course in Maine, March isn't called "The Cruelest Month" for nothing.  <sigh> 

Cabin Fever has got me good and that's real bad.  <sigh>

Is it true what my friend told me, that down East you have 5 seasons? What would be the 5th one?

Pot hole season, where car repairs are the norm.

Badeye   cool

Not far from the truth.  Actually we have several seasons:

Mud season--end of winter to complete snow disappearance THE recognized 5th season. coincides with pot hole season.
Black Fly season--Mid may to June, Except in Northern Maine where June is total black fly season.
Pine pollen season--June or so.  (too long to explain) It makes spring cleaning useless.
Mosquito season--June till whenever things dry out.
Tourist season I--Memorial day to Labor day. (college students and people without kids) RV's clog the road as they arrive from down south.
Tourist season 2--End of regular school to labor day.
Tourist season 3--aka Leaf Peeper or foliage season, labor day till Columbus day, RV's clog the road.  Snowbirds head south.

We also have road repair season, but that seems to be a universal/national season.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

28 (edited by washed by Him! 2009-03-05 13:34:58)

Dude, Badeye, are you in the maritimes?
in New Bruswick (Canada), Fredericton area, we have about(i'm not egzajerating lol ) 3.5 FEET OF SNOW!!!!!!!!!

Ben smile

The world is only going to get worse!

On the border of Maine and New Hampshire just south or in the foothills of the White Mountains.

It seems to be the snow band of the state.  We,  at present, have a 105 inch snowpack, compared to 165 inches last year at this time.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Down here in my valley it's a nice  breezy 82 degrees, almost 95% of the time. Except in winter when it hits 65 degrees, bbrrrrrr!!!! were not used to that cold weather!!! It's always Fun, and Strum in the Sun!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Riverdales wrote:

Down here in my valley it's a nice  breezy 82 degrees, almost 95% of the time. Except in winter when it hits 65 degrees, bbrrrrrr!!!! were not used to that cold weather!!! It's always Fun, and Strum in the Sun!!!!! Have a great day!!!!!

LOL 65 degrees is short sleeve weather for us.  I love when we go to Florida and people down there shiver when it gets into the 50's or 60's.   How's the humidity?  Or are you in the dry desert part of Texas??

I'm right smack on the tip of Texas, about 20 minutes from the mexican border. The humidity is really the only problem but it's tolerable, Except during June and July I mean right smack in the middle of summer, but just turn that air conditioning on, mix up some margaritas in the blender and login to chordie. Life is good!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Indeed

Hey,,,,,, i know this is totally off subject but,

Cam, did my power chords help????

Ben smile

Hi Washed-by-Him,

Yes, thanks it did help, I've been studing the power chords since getting my electric, and all advice is helpful, thank you.

Ozymandias,

I can in no way imagine 105" of snow, or what thats like, living in the South, it's just unimaginable, I'm sure it's beautiful however, though I've never been to Maine, so again, I guess it's just what you get use to growing up.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hi Washed-by-Him,

Yes, thanks it did help, I've been studing the power chords since getting my electric, and all advice is helpful, thank you.

Ozymandias,

I can in no way imagine 105" of snow, or what thats like, living in the South, it's just unimaginable, I'm sure it's beautiful however, though I've never been to Maine, so again, I guess it's just what you get use to growing up.

Cam

Indeed, you get used to it, curse the gods, complain about it, moan, weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth and all that.  Then when good weather comes, it's like today...I was outside, preparing to enter my teacher's house for a lesson.....it was sunny, balmy for a March late morning, a light breeze, country setting,.......QUIET, peaceful, the kind of day that makes it all worthwhile.  The sort of day, you WON'T hear about. 

So you learn to cope, live with it, cause you can't change it and enjoy/appreciate  the good stuff when it comes.  And tbh, you will always here about the bad weather, because good weather doesn't make news or is song worthy, except by a very few songwriters. 

I could never cope with the humidity and heat of the South.  I like the fact that I can keep my windows open almost all summer long.  (with screens of course)  And nothing beats the sight of a full moon on a clear winter night, it's almost as bright as day. 

Like you said, it's what you get used to and what you like most about the area you live in.

I think of the line from "Sweet Home Alabama"......"where the skies are so blue".   Obviously a heart felt line when it was written.

Speaking of Nice weather songs, here's a few more.

Lazy Day........Spanky and our Gang
Daydream......Lovin' Spoonful
Up on the roof.............The Drifters

washed by Him! wrote:

in New Bruswick (Canada), Fredericton area, we have about(i'm not egzajerating lol ) 3.5 FEET OF SNOW!!!!!!!!!

Ben smile

We have snow up the ying yang, Nova scotia has about the same snowfall as New Brunswick.
Be nice to see spring again, shake off that ole cabin fever. We maritimers are use to the cold and snow, gotta adapt or move..   Been to Fredericton, it has a huge guitar shop and is a very
nice town.

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:
washed by Him! wrote:

Ben smile

We have snow up the ying yang, Nova scotia has about the same snowfall as New Brunswick.
Be nice to see spring again, shake off that ole cabin fever. We maritimers are use to the cold and snow, gotta adapt or move..   Been to Fredericton, it has a huge guitar shop and is a very
nice town.

Badeye.. cool

I would hope so, considering the rich musical heritage up there.  Particularly fiddling.

Lots of Celtic musicians around Cape Breton, winter makes one stay in and practice. We have lots of jams on stormy nites.

Badeye .. cool

one caper after another

smile

Ben lol

badeye wrote:

Lots of Celtic musicians around Cape Breton, winter makes one stay in and practice. We have lots of jams on stormy nites.

Badeye .. cool

Now that sounds like a good time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tis tis lol

Ben smile

Amazing - 1 week ago we got 6" of ice / snow. Today it was 80 degrees (F). That's what they say about the weather around here - If you don't like it, wait a minute.

I much prefer this weekend to last. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Amazing - 1 week ago we got 6" of ice / snow. Today it was 80 degrees (F). That's what they say about the weather around here - If you don't like it, wait a minute.

I much prefer this weekend to last. smile

Hey thats our line!   Except we have to wait 5 minutes!

Its -10 (C) up here... lol

Ben smile

Gone up to a sunny 42 F (5.7 C)     Snow piles slowly melting.    YAY

Spring like here for few days now, snow slowly going away.   ever see black snow ?

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Spring like here for few days now, snow slowly going away.   ever see black snow ?

Badeye    cool

Once in a while, depending upon the size of the nearby dumps brushpile when they burn.

People in Cape Breton still burn coal as a source of heat. the soot falls on the snow and voila.

it's pretty disgusting.

Badeye...

one caper after another