Topic: Is knowing music theory important??

I have been playing guitar for around a year and a half and i think im fairly good. The thing is i dont have a clue about music theory. I was just wondering if there is anyone who has been playing for years and cant read theory?? Nice one

Re: Is knowing music theory important??

Those without a good grasp of theory are destined to wallow in mediocrity. Learning why instead of just when to play a note will open doors that trial and error or copying others cannot. Just my opinion. There are some natural born players out there to whom it just makes sense when they pick it up.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Understanding theory opens the door for a lot of new ideas but as geo said there are those who don't read a lick and are outstanding musicians,all I can say is it couldn't hurt smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by evsynator 2009-01-20 22:16:14)

Russel says it one way ... I will attempt to say it another ... you been playing for 18 months and you actually ask that kind of question ? The fact you are asking that kind of question means that you are the kind of person who will benefit from learning it ... I wish I had all the resources available from the net as you young people do now ... it was so hard and time consuming learning from the odd one or two that you met to learn ... now its all here .. go for it .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

GerB40 wrote:

I have been playing guitar for around a year and a half and i think im fairly good. The thing is i dont have a clue about music theory. I was just wondering if there is anyone who has been playing for years and cant read theory?? Nice one

Where do you start, are there any good books, ebooks, on line sites that can get you started.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Check this link.

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9212

Elvis Costello

Thanx to all who replied. I think deep down i knew it was about time i learned theory, im just dreading it. It seems so confusing. And thanks to Geoaguair for the link,im definately getting that book.

You're welcome. I bought it on others recommendations so the thanks goes to jerome and southpaw. The book is well worth it.

Elvis Costello

Theory is realtively simple, once you understand the framework.   It's one of those things where a few relatively simple rules allow for amazing complexity. 

If you understand the few basic rules, the complexity becomes less so.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Music theory is important but a good ear and creativity is more important. You should look at theory as a tool for your creativity!

Musician/Pianist

Visit my blog for piano tips!
[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/Piano-tips]Piano tips[/url]

sidebo wrote:

Music theory is important but a good ear and creativity is more important. You should look at theory as a tool for your creativity!

Thats a good way of putting it.  Just like an artist with brush and paint will follow some simple rules of color and dimension to make art, so do musicians follow a few simple rules to frame their work, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

A fantastic book I recently picked up, explains basic CAGED theory chords and scales in a super easy to read and understand format. For US $14, I promise you can't go wrong

Fretboard Logic SE (special edition, volumes 1 & 2 combined) by Bill Edwards

http://www.amazon.com/Fretboard-Logic-S … amp;sr=8-1

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Your right jerome.oneil!

I don't like it when people thinks that music thoery will destroy the music when it's really there to help.
Still you should be careful and not analys stuff to much because then it might loose it's magic..

Musician/Pianist

Music Theory is extremely important, and will open many doors. Some people see it as a set of rules or guidelines, but I see it more as a tool.

Exactly!

Musician/Pianist

As an art teacher and musician I think it is vital to know all the colours on your palette before starting a painting but a masterpiece can only happen when you understand how colours relate to eachother and how to mix them well. Your personality will shine effortlessly through whichever medium you chose -music or art - if you immerse yourself fully in the language of that medium. Music theory is much easier to learn than you think and very rewarding.
-Forgive my waffle...yes I play Jazz.

I think it is very important, but not necessary to be a good player.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Learning basic music theory will help you communiate with other players. For instance you are playing a song in the key of "A" the singer says that is to high drop it to "G" theory lets you know what he is telling you to do. It also explains why you use the chords and or scales that you do. It kinda puts everybody talking the same talk.

Respectfully,
Lespaul

That's true, theory is very handy for playing with other people who know it. I've been playing for about 3 years and I know very little theory, just some basic chords, no scales or anything, but I don't need scales now. I'm at the stage where I can just see the note that's going to sound good next. Like most people said, It can make you better in a way, but I don't think it's at all necessary. Also, like evsynator said, there's no better time to learn it than now with the net and everything.

GerB40 wrote:

well man i'm in the same boat. i've been playing for about 2 years, most of which i could even read chords, just played what sounded good...and that works for a little while but a little down the road not knowing theory is like hitting a brick wall goin a buck twenty. trust me on this. now i'm scrambling trying to learn enough to get by, learn it as early as possible.

To the guy who said he could just see the next note that would sound good or something like that. Theory is like spelling you can spell a word that might look wright (wright or right) both of them are spelled correct but only of them would be correct for me to use.

Respectfully,
Les

I think theory is important as it becomes practical.  I have sight read a lot of charts.  I knew what chords to play and how to make them based on the theory behind spelling the chord.  I was able to use substitutes at the appropriate times and in appropriate places because of an understanding of the chords.

For example, as a guitarist, when I see Em7b5, I also think Gm6, C9 ( no root).
When I see, Bb7+11, I also think Bb7b5, or F7+11 or F7b5.  I have a range of possiblities for playing depending on where I am at the current moment on the guitar neck and what the bass player is going to play.

i have been playing about 6 months and know my chords and can read tab but thats it
i dont think theory is that important, guitar is about soul, not knowing hundreds of ways to play a G
i have never bothered with theory and i doubt i ever will because i just dont think i need to, as long as i can play with feeling then i will be happy

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

megs1995 wrote:

i have been playing about 6 months and know my chords and can read tab but thats it
i dont think theory is that important, guitar is about soul, not knowing hundreds of ways to play a G
i have never bothered with theory and i doubt i ever will because i just dont think i need to, as long as i can play with feeling then i will be happy

At one point megs I'd agree with you, I had no desire to learn music theory. Didnt think I needed it. They offered it at the school I went to and I thought the same as you, it comes from the heart and soul. But now I know 15 yr olds who learned theory and play with more soul then anyone I know. Just my opinion

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:
megs1995 wrote:

At one point megs I'd agree with you, I had no desire to learn music theory. Didnt think I needed it. They offered it at the school I went to and I thought the same as you, it comes from the heart and soul. But now I know 15 yr olds who learned theory and play with more soul then anyone I know. Just my opinion

That's the funny thing about learning guitar... The more you learn, the more you realize you have/need to learn. When people ask me how much I know about playing I always say "I know just enough to know that I don't know nearly enough" smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]