Topic: What gauge strings?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie so bear with me. I am wanting a new set of strings for my acoustic. The high strings are too high. By too high I mean that when I'm playing they really ring out. I don't really care for that sound. I figure a thincker gauge wouldn't be as bad. I don't know what gauges I have. But I was thinking of getting a set of D'addario EJ16 (12 - 53).

Thanks

Keep Rockin'!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: What gauge strings?

Hey Z, 
    Ej16's should work fine. When considering string brightness, it's important to look at the string composition... The EJ16's are phospher Bronze strings and should have a warmer tone.

Here's a quick guide to go by for string materials and the resulting tone

Bronze Wound - The most common material for steel string guitars. This string has the brightest sound when new. Is good for recording and combo work. However it will loose its initial brightness very quickly. This can be an advantage - If you don't want a bright sound, play on these strings for a few hours and they will start to mellow.

Phosphor Bronze Wound - This string is a bronze string with phosphor added to the alloy. This has two primary effects. It will make the string warmer sounding than regular bronze, and will extend the life of the tone (Will maintain its original sound longer).

Silk & Steel - This is a special design string where the unwrapped strings are plain steel and the wrapped strings have a thin steel core surrounded by many nylon filaments and then wrapped with silver plated brass windings. This string is under less tension when tuned to pitch and will soften the volume of your instrument. Also it will be easier to depress the strings. This type of string is not as bright as the other steel string types and less durable. Great when a more "classical guitar" tone is desired or softer action is preferred.

As far as going with heavier strings... Unless your going to change to a set of custom's with heavier top strings and lighter bottom's it really won't help... If you carry all of them up a step it keeps the balance and just gives you more of what you already have.

Since you mentioned that you're a newbie, I have to ask... Do you hold the guitar at a slant so you can see the fretboard wink Just curious, It's a very common habit for beginners. Doing so often results in over exaturated highs because you strum more in a straight up and down motion and the bottom strings get more contact. Be sure to sit up straight and hold the guitar parallel to your body.  Just some thoughts...-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the info Pix. You are a wealth of knowledge. As far as holding the guitar, I don't lean it back to see the fret board. I try not to look at my fretting fingers. I do hunch a little because at times I notice my right side cramping up. Thanks for the advice though.

The problem with the highs is on my upstrokes. Mainly D, D7, F chords. The B and E strings ring out loud on the upstrokes.  Really, it's the upstroke after a palm mute is when it happens. Are there any tips I should try to maybe correct this?

Thanks

Keep Rockin!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax and let your wrist roll a little. It sounds like your hand is tense after muting and the lower strings are getting a stiff pick... If you'll try and relax it a bit and allow your wrist to roll a little so the pick doesn't hit the bottom strings at a hard angle it will soften the sound. Depending on how much you allow it to roll, you can even skip the bottom strings....  When you go down to palm mute your palm should roll on the strings following the pick and thus muting the strum. It's important to remember to roll off as well if you want to hit the strings evenly. But that's just how I control it...If you want I'll throw a quick vid together explaining it and send it to ya if you think seeing it will explain it better...-Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

5 (edited by zguitar 2009-03-09 03:02:42)

Thanks Pix.

A video would be worth a look. That sounds about right, maybe I'm hitting them too hard. But one problem leads to another. If I relax my hand, which I don't really think is tense, then I don't mute very well. I have a little trouble muting the high e. I have to focus on that to mute all the strings and make it sound good. Another post I had talked about chipping the inside edge of the sound hole. That happens when I mute. I have to make sure that I mute that last string so my pick hits the edge of the sound hole. Not all the time but enough to show chips. Maybe that's the roll you're talking about. Anyway a vid would be great.

Another thing, my D family of chords sound off or out of place when switching from maybe a G. It just sounds like such an abrupt stop and start of those 4 strings. DDUUD Em to G sounds good. Strings ring thru and sounds consistent. Same strum G to D sounds chopped. Hope that makes sense. D to A sounds abrupt also. Any tips would be great.

Btw, my new D'addario strings do sound softer than the old ones. But I don't know if I like them. The old ones were factory installed. As long as they work I guess. 

Thanks again.

Keep Rockin'!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is my first time looking around on the site.  Guitarpix, I am really impressed.  I'm a newbie to the site, but a veteran beginner with the guitar.  I'm looking forward to learning more.  As for zguitar's issue, Pix is way more knowledgeable than me.  I was concerned that you might have more difficulty playing the heavier gauge strings. They will be a little harder to depress and as they will require a little higher tension than light strings (if that is what you're playing) they might even make your action a little higher.  (My beater guiter, an old Yamaha that I take camping, has a neck that is affected in that fashion, but my Taylor 810 doesn't seem to be affected, at all.)